Essential Pinball documentaries you can watch online?

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Does anyone know of any good pinball documentaries you can watch online?

I like the promo/making of videos for various tables but have never seen a documentary about the industry in general, any good ones anyone can recommend? Thanks in advance

EDIT: History of Pinball and Pinball 101 featured in-game on TPA are great so far!
Hoping they add Special when lit and tilt shortly

Last edited:

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Special When Lit is on hulu.com. Tilt is a tough one to find for streaming or rental. I bought the two disc set and I can say that if you are just mildly interested in pinball it's a fantastic doc and the extras are wonderful. I did check netflix disc rental but they still have it listed as not available. I'd just buy it.

EDIT: Tilt's website says you can pay to rent it from itunes or amazon. I'd still just buy it.

http://www.tilt-movie.com/buy.php

Last edited:

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Ive seen both movies andnthey arent bad

But ive yet to see the bonus hours of tilt like 8 of them i think so the dvd copy seem worth it,

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Yes, you really want to watch the bonus stuff of Tilt. It's WAY more information in there. I think while I enjoyed the main Tilt documentary, I enjoyed the extras more.

You want it on DVD.

I watched Special when Lit on Hulu. Was OK, but that's about it.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
Special When Lit definitely tends to air on the eccentric collector side of the pinball world, almost to a fault. Still a fun watch though.

goforthewall

Feb 21, 2012
As a huge TILT fan, let me just restate that this film is simply amazing. (Special When Lit has no real narrative.) TILT works well on so many levels and I've watched it several times with people alien to pinball - they were still hooked, just because the film has such a captivating emotional storyline. And it's more or less a "one man show" with the script, editing, camera, narration, direction all done by first time movie maker Greg Maletic. Go rent it on itunes and then you'll probably want to buy the 2-disc set :)

PS: Other film highlights include "AMC's History of Pinball" and "Ball Saved" (the latter of which you can only find clips on youtube, as it was never expanded into a full film...)

AMC's "History of Pinball" was also remastered on DVD: http://www.historyofpinballdvd.com/

Last edited:

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Tilt's main narrative is great. The extras make it even better. There is a LOT of good stuff in there, including a George Gomez panel held a couple of days before Williams officially announced the end. Gomez actually got word of it before the panel.

Plus all the old Pin2k promo videos and s uch.

Honestly, if you're streaming it, you're missing out. Special When Lit - yeah, stream it, but it's one of those "lets go film these crazy people into stuff!" movies. Pretty much forgettable. Tilt's main feature is extremely well done, but the extras put it over the top. I just wish the main feature wasn't so ... short.

canuck

Nov 28, 2012
yo ho! arrrr! be a pirate, thar pinball docs lie beyond the scurvy seas...

Last edited:

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Know I'm bumping my old thread here, quick note to say how much I'm enjoying the videos being added to TPA (History of Pinball and Pinball 101 so far)
Hope they add Special when lit and Tilt, they're not easily available in the UK.

karl

May 10, 2012
A small ray of hope for the future! (at least in the city that never sleeps)

A nice short documentary with no doomsday in sight ;-) That felt good!

Thanks for the link dtown8532

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts