Anyone remeber alittle game called tempest 2000?

DopedToInfinity

Mar 31, 2012
Well if there was a reason to buy a Vita then that's it. Shame I can't justify one for one game. Still have my Jag and my boxed T2000 though :)

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
While i know the appeal of avp

But tempest is god oirgnal and t2k

Dont blame minter for the bad ports lol

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Still got my jaguar, played tempesr 2000 once most my time was spent playing AVP.

Such good times playing AVP at my friend's house. He played, I mapped on graph paper. Wheee! Played on his 32" Sony XPR (it's huuuge!) with surround hooked up. Had never heard a vid game actually use surround before, and remember us freaking out because we heard the Predator whisper "anytime" from the rear channel. Turned around and there the thing was, ready to kill us.

He just told me the other day that he dragged out his Jaguar and tested it so he could sell it on eBay. Said AVP was better than Aliens: Colonial Marines by a long shot!

Any of you guys remember the 3DO? Expensive as hell, but man we put a lot of time into some games on that too. Was out at the same time as the Jaguar.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Because of sleep deprivation I heard the predator say other things :p like "over here" or "come here". My uncles had a 3DO it was pretty cool for its short time. They usually bought the systems I didnt like sega CD add on and 32x.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Because of sleep deprivation I heard the predator say other things :p like "over here" or "come here". My uncles had a 3DO it was pretty cool for its short time. They usually bought the systems I didnt like sega CD add on and 32x.

No, the Predator for sure said "over here" also. Sometimes you'd get the 'clacking' noise too.

My favorite thing on the 3DO was 'The Incredible Machine'. It was essentially a do it yourself Rube Goldberg game. Can't remember what the fighting game on it was, but remember it was pretty slick too.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I'm pretty sure that Jeff Minter, the guy who wrote Tempest 2000, is a member on this forum.

Turbine

May 19, 2012
He still is. Love the Minter games, even more so with the icade. But.. I've never played Tempest, don't even know what it's about.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
He still is. Love the Minter games, even more so with the icade. But.. I've never played Tempest, don't even know what it's about.

It's best that you find out about Tempest chronologically. If you can find an actual Tempest arcade machine by Atari at a convention or retro arcade or something, by all means play it. Don't just play it once. Learn it. Absorb it. Get a feel of the weighted spin controller and fall into a zen state as you play.

Then, you are allowed to play Tempest 2000. You will appreciate just what Jeff Minter did in turning a fantastic arcade game into a wholly different experience with familiar rules. It is the perfect sequel that does not diminish the original yet is an enhancement of the original at the same time.

Yeah, I have an arcade Tempest in my home, so I'm a little into it yes.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
No, the Predator for sure said "over here" also. Sometimes you'd get the 'clacking' noise too.

My favorite thing on the 3DO was 'The Incredible Machine'. It was essentially a do it yourself Rube Goldberg game. Can't remember what the fighting game on it was, but remember it was pretty slick too.

I didn't know TIM was out for 3do. I used to play it for days on dos

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Fyi minters the reason i found tpa lol

And agreed if there was one reason to own a vita

I do hope itsported but it may NEED a controlee,

Hen again look at the beauty that is ios/andorid gridrunner

Turbine

May 19, 2012
Thanks Fungi.

I see there's a Tempest X3 too. Not sure how I've missed Tempest seeing as I've owned the Atari 2600, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC464, Gameboy and Playstation 1 which all have versions!

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Thanks Fungi.

I see there's a Tempest X3 too. Not sure how I've missed Tempest seeing as I've owned the Atari 2600, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC464, Gameboy and Playstation 1 which all have versions!

I lot of those you mentioned never came out, or aren't worth playing. The closest to being any good would be Tempest x3 for the PS1. It's a version of T2K, but the AI droid is useless. In the original T2K for the Jag, the droid would move around autonomously, helping you when things get really hairy. In the PS1 version, it just follows you around, thus becoming redundant.

I would suggest using MAME for the arcade version, but only if you find one set up with the proper weighted controller, otherwise, it's just not right.

dirtyvu

Feb 28, 2013
if you want a free better clone of Tempest 2000, check out Typhoon 2001. free and easy to download on the PC. fabulous game. you can run it at fantastic resolutions and still have cool special effects. I run it at 1920x1080 at over 100 fps.

here's a sample. it's not as smooth or sharp as the actual game because I used Fraps to record it but to keep the file size manageable, I played the game at 1280x720 and recorded at half resolution (640x360) because my computer isn't fast enough to record and play the game. I then used Handbrake to convert it to h.264 MP4. Also, Youtube caps videos at 30 fps. The game looks much better running natively on a PC without the overhead of recording. Sorry I couldn't convey how sharp this game looks.

Oh, and if you have a chance to play Typhoon 2001 (or Pinball FX2) on a vertical monitor, it will look stunning. It's hard to imagine how much better it makes the game until you try it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.