Sneaky new flipper physics

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before but has anyone noticed that TOTAN has the new flipper physics?? Perfect cradle separations, tip passes, etc.

No wonder my score jumped. This is awesome!!

Now if all the others only had this.....

PinballPauly

Mar 12, 2013
I started to notice this with AFM on iOS. I just downloaded the last 10 tables on ps3 last night and I must agree. The cradle separations are going very smoothly. I did however notice that AFM on ps3 is very very bright and washed out, its actually hard to follow the ball sometimes.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
Yeah the newer tables have them no question. STTNG and AFM/Genie were the only ones so far I knew of on console that had the new flippers. I was pretty shocked to find I could do cradle seps on TOTAN...why wasn't this in any of the patch notes??

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Yeah the newer tables have them no question. STTNG and AFM/Genie were the only ones so far I knew of on console that had the new flippers. I was pretty shocked to find I could do cradle seps on TOTAN...why wasn't this in any of the patch notes??

I posted in the PS3 version thread thread that I thought there had been a flipper physics update but no one responded. I don't know what a cradle separation is though.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
I don't know what a cradle separation is though.

It's during multiball when you have two balls cradled together on one flipper. It's a technique to get one ball off (and ideally transferred to the open flipper) while maintaining control of the other. This was impossible before the update because the flipper would fully go down and come back up smacking both balls away.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
It's during multiball when you have two balls cradled together on one flipper. It's a technique to get one ball off (and ideally transferred to the open flipper) while maintaining control of the other. This was impossible before the update because the flipper would fully go down and come back up smacking both balls away.

What I noticed is that the flippers seem to absorb more realistically when the ball hits them. When a ball traveling at an angle hits a flipper it should not bounce off at the complimentary angle like a ball hitting a rail in billiards. Because the flipper absorbs some power the angle of reflection will be less than the angle that it hit the flipper at. This is the change that I noticed in the last update on the PS3 and it seems to be across all tables. But I seem to be the only one who has noticed...making me think I might be getting crazier. :D

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
This is the change that I noticed in the last update on the PS3 and it seems to be across all tables.

When was the last update?

TPA updates come with a patch only or is there a "syncing data routine" when you play online? (in background or something like that).

I bought the game five days ago, and I noticed something change on Totan and ToM... only yesterday. Everything is a little bit "fluid" and the gameplay is overall better (at last, I can shot loops on Totan by aiming directly).

And I don't know if I'm get used to it, but I found there was less lag too... until a friend plays TPA for the first time, and his first statement to be: "Eeek, there is a big delay with the flips". :p

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
At 720P I don't get any flipper lag on TOTAN, or the newer tables. Still waiting to have it at 1080P.

TOM also seems much improved but I can't tell if its just the 720P or the new physics

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
Yeah i seem to be doing a lot better on STTNG table, i feel like the flippers seem a bit more responsive and have a bit more power behind them.

Or maybe i am just getting better at it. :)

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
I can actually drop catch on every table with pretty good consistency at 720P. But other than the ones I mentioned I can't preform cradle seps or flick passes

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I also noticed that on the newer tables, STTNG in particular, you can see a little jiggle when the flipper snaps back down from the raised position to the resting position. It seems a little rigid and a bit more realistic than I remember the flipper action being before.

Members online

Members online