Future Pinball

jrolson

Feb 28, 2012
It still applies, but I figured there would be some who visit here who would like it... I dont like Future Pinball but at least it's not as bad as Visual Pinball in my opinion.

unclewilly

Feb 20, 2012
There is also a new program being worked on which will allow fp tables to be played in the unity3d engine.
The physics look much better but it is still in development.

Ill stay out of a which program has better playing tables and just say due to the fact that it is a pay for program, i would expect better physics from tpa.
Much better then it currently has. There Ian a lot of room for improvement in the physics department at least when comparing tpa blackhole to the real machine i play every week

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Man, you get to play it every week?

UW, I assume you're playing on the android. I'm fairly certain that playing TPA feels vastly different on the mobile versions than it does on the consoles. Keep in mind my Android experience comes from 2 phones, one an HTC Incredible - S (I'll leave it up to the imagination what the S stands for) and i'm not sure which one my friend has (much better than the incredible and incredibly smooth play), and my iPhone4 (decent but not spectacular, i bet the 4S is better and I'm sure the iPad3 will be pretty sweet when it works). Compared to the consoles it's like night and day. That being said, I've never played a real Blackhole and can't really vouch at all for it...and i'm incredibly jealous.

The progress on the Unity 3d project is pretty astounding and is looking to be a great show of what a community sharing a goal may be able to accomplish. Looking at other videos of Unity3D's physics model makes me happy to see that it's being used in a pinball project.

As for VP vs FP I think i'll simply keep my mouth shut on my preference at this time though i do like both i do prefer one over the other.

unclewilly

Feb 20, 2012
I play on a transformer prime. And it plays really well. Imo not knocking tpa at all, but a lot of people around here tend to knock other programs like vp which imo being a 10+ year old program using dx7 does a dam good job at pinball physics. Id have to say the vp recreation of blackhole imo working on plays a lot closer to the real thing than tpa version. If they could just reduce the bounce off the slippers and rubber it would be almost perfect

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
There are a few flipper details i would like to see adjusted in TPA, and hopefully you know i would never knock VP as it's taken a lot of my time. I'm excited to hear that you're working on BH, as i don't think I ever saw it on VPForums.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I like VP because of the table selection. FP is more focused on creating original tables, while VP does a lot more recreations, as well as some good originals, including Beat This, JPs Spider-man, and Pirates, Wolves of the Sea. Uncle Willy has also made / modified many great tables. The physics on VP took a massive leap with the release of VP 9.

emb531

Mar 22, 2012
if you think that plays better than jp salas spiderman original
you must have never played the real machine

Yea VP looks awful compared to FP. Not to mention JP's table isn't even accurate, it's just based on the table. And SLAMT1LT's plays way better. I know you put a lot of work into VP tables, but I like FP way more. VP tables look like they were drawn in paint for the most part.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Heh was having a look through old gottlieb stuff n came across your stuff man

Its no tpa but it does seem to have a place for em machines,

Then theres unclewillie good vp stuff aswell

Judi Chop

May 10, 2012
Need some help. I downloaded future pinball and the adams family table to go with it, but when i try and run the table it says the program has stopped responding and closes it out. Any info would be great, wanna try this program out.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
Need some help. I downloaded future pinball and the adams family table to go with it, but when i try and run the table it says the program has stopped responding and closes it out. Any info would be great, wanna try this program out.

Well im pretty new myself but future doesnt do rom emulation so for a better(if not better looking) experience try the vp versions.

If the table comes with mutiple files and folders ive found putting them all sans directorys in the same folder sorts scripting errors

If you want some really nifty fp tables try family guy ultra version and iron man ultra really shows what the program CAN do...also while i hate its ball movement its got some great em stuff

Edit - btw if its just plain crapping out try admin mode for win 7

Last edited:

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
Make sure you're running the application as administrator.

Tabe

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Hmm.

So I tried Future Pinball today, as I was too lethargic to tackle the installation of Visual Pinball. I mostly did it because I wanted to check out
Addams Family, Twilight Zone and especially Whirlwind (so far I have only played it on the sub-par 3DS PHOF).

Addams Family crashed every time, Whirlwind and TZ worked fine, but man... I just couldn´t get a usable camera view at all.
The scrolling one kind also swung from side to side like a drunken cow, was zoomed in too much as well and thus created an effect that made
me really uncomfortable. In full view everything was way too small, and on a machine like Whirlwind with a lot of stuff going on in the back
of the machine it was completely unuseable as well.

The way the scrolling followed the ball was very awkward too. In TZ the camera shot to the very top when I plunged the ball, making me almost
use the ball because the camera wouldn´t scroll down fast enough. Then there was this weird mode where the camera would simulate some sort
of head-nodding, very disorienting as well.

It really makes me appreciate the camera in TPA. Between PHOF 3Ds and the PSP Williams HOF there have been massive improvements in the
views as well - while the PSP one actually moves at a much smoother framerate, the camera tends to follow the ball much too late, making
Whirlwind much harder than it needs to be.

Adding to that, the game was crashing almost half of the time (running as admin or XP compability didn´t help much - I played it on Win7 64bit).

It´s a shame, because I otherwise kinda liked it. The tables looked reasonably good (not TPA good but Whirlwind had a nice "fresh", clean look) and
configuring my gamepad and the screen settings was painless, but the camera angles completely ruined it for me. Seems I have to face the battle of getting Visual Pinball to run after all - I´ve played with regular MAME in the past, so I´m kinda used to obtuse programs ;)

PinJimmy

Jun 27, 2012
You can manually adjust the camera too your own liking by pressing f10 or f11.
Have played it with trackir and that works ok.
That being said the ball physics are terrible. I cant get used to it and thats too bad cause the tables they create are awesome.

TPA ball physics are better but how the ball interacts with the flippers isnt good and almost the same as future pinball.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts