Galaxy S4 vs ipad 3

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
My ipad 3 is my main platform for tpa but yesterday I received my S4 after years of iPhone. First thing I installed was tpa. I have to say I'm a little disappointed, it doesn't run as nice as it does on my ipad. Now before anyone says ' you are comparing a phone to a tablet' the S4 beats the ipad 3 in all the benchmarks. Well actually it beats the ipad 4 in almost all tests so I'm assuming that it is well in front of the ipad 3. What gives? Is ios still that much more efficient than android? Are all these specs and benchmarks meaningless?

This is not meant to start a flame war, please comment if you have experience of both.

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
I've not even looked at the specs, but if the S4 screen resolution is higher than the IP3 then it will put greater load on the cpu/gpu

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
dunno then - maybe a firmware update is needed. Or maybe the TPA iPad code is better tuned than android. Or maybe iOS is just better.

phones usually have more background tasks running vs tablets.

N

netizen

run nenamark2 from the play store to test it's opengl speed. This will tell you what it's FPS is under a full 3d load is; very similar to what TPA is.

Make sure you set all you Accounts to not sync automatically, or if you don't care for leader boards play with airplane mode enabled to prevent push notifications taking resources.

The S4 has the same class of GPU as the apple products but likely has far less power due to battery limitations etc.

BryceS

Sep 25, 2012
For info, on my GS4 (4 core version), these are my results:

On the AnTuTu benchmark, I got a score of 25403 (actually slightly higher than the Samsung Galaxy SIV benchmark that they already have in their database) which is excellent.

Using the AnTuTu 3DRating benchmark, it gets a score of 6573 at the screen resolution of 1080x1920, and an off-screen score of 2205 (1024x2048 resolution).

I can't find similar results for the IPad 3, but the AnTuTu 3DRating benchmark is apparently available for iOS, so it would be interesting if somebody posted a comparison here.

However using nenamark2, it only achieved an FPS of 44 on it's first run - that's less than what I have seen a Galaxy S2 do! Ran it again and got an FPS on 60.1, which is much more like what I would expect.

antituto

May 2, 2013
Can u Put a video on youtube with s4 playing pinball arcade twilight zone?.. THX

I'm waiting my S4 but if pinballl arcade not run fine, I'll change to Note II

THX

For info, on my GS4 (4 core version), these are my results:

On the AnTuTu benchmark, I got a score of 25403 (actually slightly higher than the Samsung Galaxy SIV benchmark that they already have in their database) which is excellent.

Using the AnTuTu 3DRating benchmark, it gets a score of 6573 at the screen resolution of 1080x1920, and an off-screen score of 2205 (1024x2048 resolution).

I can't find similar results for the IPad 3, but the AnTuTu 3DRating benchmark is apparently available for iOS, so it would be interesting if somebody posted a comparison here.

However using nenamark2, it only achieved an FPS of 44 on it's first run - that's less than what I have seen a Galaxy S2 do! Ran it again and got an FPS on 60.1, which is much more like what I would expect.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
It's a Samsung phone, it's got Touchwiz on it, that alone is reason enough why it doesn't run well.

Hell even my original Galaxy S (On Pure JB (which Samsung explicitly said it can't run!)) can manage silky smooth play once the background tasks are paused.

If I was in the market for an Android phone, I wouldn't buy anything other than a Google device (i.e. a Nexus branded phone), that way you get a pure Android experience with no extra chuff.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Also, Not sure about the S4, but the S3 LTE version has a dual core chip where the international version has the quad.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
My S4 (UK) has a quad core chip, some other regions have an 8 core cpu but tests have shown even the quad core is faster than everything else, the 8 core being just slightly faster again.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
That's just weird, though i did have performance issues pretty frequently on the S3, i had the LTE version which was slower than the quad.

Moving to the note2 was a lot better but I must say that playing on my Nexus is the best experience.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
That's just weird, though i did have performance issues pretty frequently on the S3, i had the LTE version which was slower than the quad.

Moving to the note2 was a lot better but I must say that playing on my Nexus is the best experience.

Out of interest have you compared the Nexus version to an ipad 3 or 4? I don't know anyone with a nexus so have never seen it running on one.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
If I was in the market for an Android phone, I wouldn't buy anything other than a Google device (i.e. a Nexus branded phone), that way you get a pure Android experience with no extra chuff.

No SD card slot in an N4.
I use my phone as an MP3 player with a big micro SD card, and bluetooth it to my car & house.

I was going to get an S4 next month, but I'm tempted to save some money now, not bother with the SGS4, but get an SGS3 on 3 network again.

Last phone was on 3 one plan with 'all you can eat' data (I chomp about 20gig a month) and they are a good network.

BryceS

Sep 25, 2012
Can u Put a video on youtube with s4 playing pinball arcade twilight zone?.. THX

I'm waiting my S4 but if pinballl arcade not run fine, I'll change to Note II

THX

Is there an easy way to capture video while playing a game? I don't have another video camera other than in my tablet - not exactly ideal to record playing on a phone!

BryceS

Sep 25, 2012
Idea with the N4 is you use the cloud (Google Music) especially with all-you-can-eat data.

Which makes sense until you go to an area without good, reliable data coverage. I also have things like Baldur's Gate (running through GemRB), Lucasarts adventures (running through ScummVM) and HD-quality videos on my SD Card - none of which lend themselves to streaming. The cloud is great, but I can't see a time when I wouldn't want a large, removable storage device in my phone. The problem is quite a lot of applications don't provide an option to choose where to store data, so even though I have a 64GB card in my S4, it isn't used by some data-hungry applications.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Idea with the N4 is you use the cloud (Google Music) especially with all-you-can-eat data.

I don't necessarily own all the music I have on my various usb drives, which I switch out to my phones SD card when I feel like it.
I have about 5tb worth of music & building.
Ooh **** me eye patch's slipped - Arrrr. Wooden legs itchy tonight.

Last edited:
N

netizen

On the other side of things, if you are a public employee in the US the S4 is approved for all security levels within both the DOD and the government. This will be extended to more upcoming Samsung products eventually as the Knox software is implemented.
I can totes imagine the diplomatic core playing TPA as a means to broker a peace deal. LOL

For now, the Galaxy S4 is the only Samsung device equipped with Knox. But the company promises that other smartphones as well as tablets will receive the security software.

The thumb's up from the Pentagon means that the S4 and future Knox devices can be used by U.S. government and military departments that tap into the Department of Defense networks. Access to these networks requires high security standards, and the S4 is the first Android phone to meet the requirements, according to Samsung.

The new security clearance also opens up certain types of businesses as potential new customers for Samsung.

"We are very pleased to announce that the U.S. Department of Defense has approved Samsung Knox-enabled devices for use in DoD networks," Samsung Mobile President JK Shin said in a statement. "This approval enables other government agencies and regulated industries such as health care and financial services to adopt Samsung Galaxy smartphones and tablets. This is a significant milestone for Samsung as we work to grow our relationships within government and large corporate enterprises."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57582707-94/samsung-galaxy-s4-earns-pentagon-security-nod/

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Out of interest have you compared the Nexus version to an ipad 3 or 4? I don't know anyone with a nexus so have never seen it running on one.

I've seen it running on an iPad Mini and it ran smoothly but i got to experience how horrible shake nudging is.
It's not much better on the s3 (shake nudging) a bit but not too great.
The Note2 has decent shake nudging with minimal delay
The Nexus 7 has ZERO delay and runs very smoothly - When i finally get around to it I'll have my Black Hole tactics and strategy video up which i shot from my nexus.

Is there an easy way to capture video while playing a game? I don't have another video camera other than in my tablet - not exactly ideal to record playing on a phone!

I use a DSLR to capture the screen on my nexus.

I have an HDMI out for my Note2 (and my GF's S3) and i have to say that it's horrible. On my TV which only displays 720p but accepts a 1080p signal, it only displays at 30hz (i tried on a 1080i tv at 60hz and it still wasn't all that smooth to be honest).

The biggest reason I want to see tables come out for the XBOX is so I can use a Happauge PVR unit to record gameplay in HD to make my videos.

Here is some s3 footage of RBION and ToTAN Though.

you will notice that i get the half framerate issue a lot on RBION on the American S3, can't speak for the quad core version though.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts