Request Stars - Stern 1978

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
starsuu.jpg

My favorite pinball game! And not just because it's about the only machine I can think of near me that's actually on 25 cents per play, no! It's because Stars is just about the most fun you can have with a pop bumper, two spinners, five stand-ups, and six drop targets: you can go for drops OR stand-up targets, and each combines intuitively and beautifully--particularly in the case of the multi-colored star lights that form a lovely rainbow at the right spinner when they have it juiced up for huge points--with a spinner which you then melt for a massively satisfying shot, plus there are specials and extra balls to hunt down, too. Great target shooting, nice spinner lanes, and even though it has SS scoring it's got those great old EM chimes and bells.

It's also got a very high center post that allows for some trick passing as Bowen demonstrates in his tutorial:

[video=vimeo;45770563]http://vimeo.com/45770563[/video]

Bestest game ever!

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
looks good never encountered it. Its still near you for a quarter a game and it looked like 5 balls per game with the pic you showed. Real wild if replays were awarded on a quarter game in this day and age.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
looks good never encountered it. Its still near you for a quarter a game and it looked like 5 balls per game with the pic you showed. Real wild if replays were awarded on a quarter game in this day and age.

That would be interesting! I don't think Specials do, and I don't think I've hit a score that gives one yet. Obviously this bears further investigation. : )

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
That would be interesting! I don't think Specials do, and I don't think I've hit a score that gives one yet. Obviously this bears further investigation. : )
at the end of the game does a match number come up ? a match is a two digit number that would come on the backglass if it matches the last two digits of your score you get a replay. If there is no match showing then most likely replays are not being awarded (disabled in operator settings).

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
at the end of the game does a match number come up ? a match is a two digit number that would come on the backglass if it matches the last two digits of your score you get a replay. If there is no match showing then most likely replays are not being awarded (disabled in operator settings).

Ah I see. I didn't notice it showing match numbers. I'll have to check the next time I go by.

Ccv

May 7, 2013
For some reason this makes me feel old. I still remember two 5 ball plays for a quarter, as well as the very occasional dime table. I just realized why it makes me feel old ... I AM old!

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Dang I forgot to check for match numbers specifically, but we were watching the display pretty closely this time because of some confusion over how many credits were in the game, and I don't remember it ever showing any two-digit numbers. I did, however, win a replay when I broke 220,000 points, and the really curious thing was that it seemed to give a full four-player game! (We put one quarter in, and it didn't seem to register, but my friend pushed the credit button...and kept pushing it, and it activated all four players! The "Credits" number had never changed from zero, though. After that game, no quarters we put in would work, and there were no more phantom credits...so uh maybe we broke it. :eek:)

EDIT: Hm I suppose it could have been a match on two scores, a replay for another credit, plus one actual credit. The machine was acting funny with credits all along on this trip, though--like, when we first arrived, no credits were showing, we put in two quarters, and it let us play a four-player game. After that second four-player game following the replay we started thinking that maybe it had been put on free play...but then we couldn't get it to start again, with quarters or without.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts