Mac OS X graphics thoughts

squidlr

Feb 28, 2012
Any comments regarding table graphics?

I think generally they look okay, minus a lack of anti-aliasing which leaves some the graphics with jagged edges, which is displeasing to the eye.

I'm very impressed by the ball reflection effect, looks fantastic.

The lighting seems to be generally poor compared to a real table.

Check out the Classic Game Room review of Black Hole, where you can see that the lighting effects don't represent the TPA game too well

Farsight have commented that they are seeking to improve things in the future.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Don't worry, FarSight stated that it's currently using the same rendering tech as on the new iPad, but in 1080p. They will be updating the lighting and graphics quality to that of the consoles in the coming months.

squidlr

Feb 28, 2012
Game still not at console quality. Lots of jaggies can be seen on the flippers and a lot of table elements look like the iOS graphics set.

Check the PS3 version for comparison:

Also, quoted from Facebook : Pinball Arcade - Farsight 30th March

"The Mac version has just gone live and is featured under "New and Noteworthy" in the app store! On OSx, we're currently using similar rendering tech as we do on the new iPad, but at 1080p. We'll be updating the lighting and graphics quality to that of the consoles in the upcoming months."

Still loving the game though, but I hope Farsight can deliver the promised eye candy updates.

Jul 2, 2012
The new graphics settings are mysterious. None of them seem to have any effect on anything except for Post Processing, which desaturates the colours. What is the "Immediate Mode" supposed to do (is it even a graphics preference at all?)?

Running on a 2008 15" MacBook Pro with 256 MB GeForce 8600M GT. Mac OS X Lion.

Edit: have to take some of this back, on the core tables (TOTAN, RBION, BH, TOM) Post Processing seems to just desaturate them but on the later ones (just bought CV and FV) it actually does wonders. Still not quite sure about the detail level preference, not seeing the effect there.

Last edited:

night

May 18, 2012
If the graphics are not of the same image quality as the consoles I won't buy it, then I'll just enjoy TPA on my iPad. Who cares about a lame direct iOS port, I'm working on a bloody powerhorse here, c'mon!

squidlr

Feb 28, 2012
Broke down and bought Creature from the Black Lagoon - Very disappointed. The graphics seem pretty poor compared to Bride of PinBot, jaggies everywhere and the bumpers look awful.

Are Farsight still committed to improving the Mac version as they had previously suggested? I think they previously suggested that the update would be done mid-July.

Will we be stuck with shoddy iOS graphics when clearly the more powerful Mac can do much better?

Jay

May 19, 2012
Post Processing seems to just desaturate them but on the later ones (just bought CV and FV) it actually does wonders.

I turned on Post Processing and bumped the Level of Detail to 2. On Black Night, the colors seemed richer and the ball felt more "floaty." On Funhouse, the difference was really noticeable. The table looked far more realistic, particularly with the lighting. But I still saw those weird artifacts where small sections of the table rapidly winked on and off.

squidlr

Feb 28, 2012
The post processing option seems to do nothing for Black Knight and CFBL, and changing the graphic options has no obvious effect on the quality of graphics, unless I am blind.

Also, just tried Zen Pinball 2 for Mac (free - Mac App Store) - graphics are much better than Pinball Arcade. Zen's gameplay is uninspiring, and the art style looks tacky.

handel1992

Banned
Sep 5, 2012
I think it's best to get the 1GB Graphics Card! With a Graphics card at 256MB or 512MB, the fan has to do more work and it can sometimes be annoying listening to the fan ventilate!It's best to get the 1GB, gaming looks amazing, and there is no need to upgrade as the 1GB is the highest! Also the fan doesn't have to work at it's highest point with the 1GB

starck

Jun 7, 2012
Uninspiring, but polished and a finished game.

And yeah, their graphics are tacky.

Disappointed to hear about the mac gfx. I'm holding off purchasing this for my MacBook pro then.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts