Android tablet compared to phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthawk

May 18, 2013
I have TPA on PS3, Vita, and a SGII phone. I'm looking at getting a tablet like the Galaxy Tab 2 10". How does TPA compare to the other devices I already have?

I've noticed certain things like the green illumination on the castle in Medieval Madness is present on the PS3, but not my Vita or phone.

Pop Sergeant

Jul 26, 2012
@Matthawk: The android phone and android tablet are the same application. The dynamic lighting / shadow effects you see on your android phone are the same you'd have on your android tablet -- which it to say, none. Your resolution would depend upon your processor and whether or not you could switch to the high resolution mode. (I'd assume.) The table files appear to be quite high res (large) and as far as I know they are the same exact files for phone or tablet. I have no problems or complaints with mine on a 10.1 " tablet running a 2 year old Tegra. In fact, my tablet has a full-sized HDMI out so I often slap it on my wide screen TV with an extra long HDMI cable so I can kick back on he couch. Sure, it's not the quality of the XBOX but it is all the tables. I highly recommend a tablet for TPA. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I can't speak for your specific tablet but playing on my smaller tablet is a dream.

N

netizen

If the Tab 2 10" has similar specs as the Tab 2 7" you will be underwhelmed by its performance with TPA. I know my Tab 2 7" plays TPA, but at like 36 FPS which leaves something to be desired.

At a similar price point, but a smaller screen you will get much better performance from a Nexus 7. If you have your heart set on a 10" tablet the Nexus 10 is pretty solid for TPA with a few small issues, and the Asus transformer line seems to have received some good reviews on the forums here.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Although using the same assets, playing TPA on a nice spec'd tablet is a world different from playing on a mobile.

I can vouch for an N7, all tables play beautifully and shake nudge works faultlessly, but it is getting older and a new model can't be too far from release now.

The Nook HD+ was getting a lot of praise for TPA last week for similar to N7 money - thread is here

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I'll move up from my N7 when TPA starts to run poorly on it. It's my main reason for even having a tablet.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I have TPA on PS3, Vita, and a SGII phone. I'm looking at getting a tablet like the Galaxy Tab 2 10". How does TPA compare to the other devices I already have?

I've noticed certain things like the green illumination on the castle in Medieval Madness is present on the PS3, but not my Vita or phone.

Do steer clear of the Galaxy range of tablets. The MALI SoaC GPUs are under-speced, and you will not have access to the Testures: High option.

Choose a Tegra 3 SoaC Tablet (N7, TF300, TF700), or (from what I've heard) a Nexus 10. Also remember that the N10 is a Samsung tablet, and the GPU is primarily designed to pump out the required resolution for the epic screen on this tablet.

No, I'm not a rep for NVIDIA, but their SoaCs work well with TPA. And many, many other games that I play on my TF300T.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Choose a Tegra 3 SoaC Tablet (N7, TF300, TF700), or (from what I've heard) a Nexus 10. Also remember that the N10 is a Samsung tablet, and the GPU is primarily designed to pump out the required resolution for the epic screen on this tablet.

N10 was reported having difficulty with TPA specifically with RBION.

N

netizen

I only have intermittent slow downs on RBiON with my Nexus 10. If I do the pause, turn the HUD off then on and resume trick it gets back to speed. The other trick I found that works sometimes is to change ball skin and it starts off at speed.

I am going to wait an see what the Tegra 4 soc architecture and power per watt works out to this year. There are some interesting road map developments in the octocore cpu and scaled multi core GPU architecture.

The paper diagrams show that the tegra 4 soc dual octo core should have 72 gpu cores :eek:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
With the next gen Nexus 7 going to the qualcomm chipset, if you want to stay with a tegra soc there is a new tablet with the identical hardware specs as the Nexus 7 but with an SD card slot, HDMI out and rear camera available in two models from $99

http://liliputing.com/2013/05/rumor...with-tegra-3-chips-to-sell-for-99-and-up.html

Chinese tablets - try before you buy!

The quality on some of these things is atrocious.

Guy I work with has a Stealth Hydro X he got mail order, it's hysterical watching him mash his fingers into the screen in order to get a touch response out of it.

N

netizen

LOL, Chinese Tablets.

Where exactly do you think your precious Nexus 7 was, most likely, manufactured?

There was a rash of unresponsive screens on Nexus 7's when they were first released. So the scare tactic of anecdotal evidence does naught.

Any piece of hardware can be subject to failure or fault. But claiming it is due to the Nationality of the people who made it is cutting awfully close to that word that implies bias due to a persons race ... What was that specific word again??

or is your concern more with off brand manufacturers?
It wasn't too long ago that ASUS was a small player and very few people would give their products the time of day because of the perceived cheap construction and pfftt, they came from Taiwan, not Japan. How low rent can that get, that's like buying from the Chinese. /s

Oh wait, didn't ASUS make the Nexus 7??

Irony, it's not just a supplement to prevent anemia any more.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
You get what you pay for is my general experience.
Buy cheap - buy twice.
Ask the guy opposite me at work if he'd buy another.

Always try before you buy was my advice - not avoid Chinese origin.

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
I'd rather buy a Google device due to the OS updates you get without faffing around rooting it.

Matthawk

May 18, 2013
Thanks for the helpful replies. Due to price, a 7" tablet may be the direction I go.

On my SGII I notice a delay in sound effects. The flipper sounds are on time, but everything else is a off a bit. Is this a problem on all android devices?

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
On my SGII I notice a delay in sound effects. The flipper sounds are on time, but everything else is a off a bit. Is this a problem on all android devices?

Do you have any audio post-processing enabled on your phone? It would be under the phone's system Settings menu, something like: Settings > Sounds > "Equalizer" or "3d sound" or "Beats Xtra-Bass By Dr Dre(tm)" or "surround enhanced sound"?

Having anything like that enabled would add some delay in the audio playback.

Tom

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Thanks for the helpful replies. Due to price, a 7" tablet may be the direction I go.

Yes, this is a known issue with the TPA sound server (admitted by Bobby in the Round 2 audio interview). They suggested that they will try an improve the latency issues.

I wish they would get on it. It is a bugbear for me with all tables. All tables are affected on the TF300T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts