Android - Request Android Developer Console: Alpha and Beta builds direct through Google Play

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I'm on an XDA beta testing thread testing a variety of apps (yes, TPA isn't my only beta testing gig), and I've read an interesting development regarding the Android Developer Console.

The console now provides developers the ability to deploy alpha and beta builds directly through Google Play, providing the developer releases the app as "Free" during the alpha/beta phase.

The deployment is handled by a link through a Google+ Community (whichever G+ Community the dev chooses in the manifest - his own, a company-endorsed community, a completely separate community).

This ensures the production version and the beta version streams "never cross", and from what the developers are saying on the beta thread, it is the best thing *evah*.

What are your thoughts on this, Ryan? Would this new deployment technique make your life easier or harder?

eckless

Sep 11, 2012
I just joined a "beta" Google+ Group for another app ("My Media Center") and it is really pretty slick. Also makes it easier to pool the feedback about the beta in one place (and makes it easier to post screen captures). Of course, the "con" is that the feedback isn't included here on digitalpinballfans.com.

Eckless

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
(and makes it easier to post screen captures). Of course, the "con" is that the feedback isn't included here

Re - easy screen captures.
Tapatalk App has picture hosting - makes posting screens as easy as 2 clicks. One to take the shot, one to post it.

yhugutus.jpg

Also has an inbuilt editor.

Tapatalk for Android phone -
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkpro.activity&hl=en

Tapatalk HD for Android tablets -
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.quoord.tapatalkHD&hl=en

apple customers have a version -
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/tapatalk-2/id585178888?mt=8 :)

Edit - I quite like the Android beta in its current format personally.

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
There's was no need for this comment and again I stress to everyone, please DO NOT single out forum members or groups of members with unnecessary remarks such as the one posted above.

Quite right - I've edited the original post, and apologise to anyone offended.
It was intended as a joke being in the Android section hence the smiley face. There was no mean intent behind it.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
It's a cool idea, but I would hate to have to join a G+ group to continue testing, I'm quite tired of social networking and growing ever more weary of google as it is. I'm not really geeked about having to further my involvement in social networking just to continue testing. As an option it's pretty neat i guess but as long as it doesn't exclude this method.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
I just joined a "beta" Google+ Group for another app ("My Media Center") and it is really pretty slick. Also makes it easier to pool the feedback about the beta in one place (and makes it easier to post screen captures). Of course, the "con" is that the feedback isn't included here on digitalpinballfans.com.

Eckless

Yeah, the last thing I would want to happen is branch the feedback into two streams. Perhaps the solution in the OP would be great for devs without an established forum or feedback system?

Would still like to hear what Ryan reckons about it. ;-)

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
yeah it would probably make my life crazier than usual ;) hard enough for me to keep up on these forums hehe.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts