Zen nudge pass

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
With Zen's flipper physics not being quite as good as TPA's, it's always frustrated me a little that I couldn't do a 'Rolling tap pass' to the other flipper when the ball's travelling down an inlane.

Then I was watching someone else play Zen yesterday, and he suddenly did something that had never even occurred to me.
This...... A Zen Nudge (up) Pass.

Apparently it's a standard Zen player skill that I knew nothing about, despite having been playing Zen for about 12 months or so (and not the same thing, but, real pinball for 30yrs).

You might all already know about this, sorry if so, but it was news to me so I thought I'd share.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Oh yeah, nudge passing (and bang-backs even) are done completely casually with Zen's nudge physics.

You can even start from a cradled position and just diagonal nudge the ball to a cradle position on the opposite flipper if you really want to. Its not exactly realistic but it is kind of fun to have pinball "superpowers".

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Yes it's a standard skill for Zen pinball. IT works for more than flippers too, you can use it from any wall or solid object on the tables to get a good nudge or bounce. like ^ said, you can hit bangbacks with consistency.

Last edited:

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I had no idea you could do this, I've been playing like I do in TPA (and more occasionally - real life).
Have to admit I was a bit taken aback when I first saw it.
I am quite enjoying it though, it's like you said, almost like having pinball superpowers.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Yeah, I've made maybe 2 or 3 successful bangbacks in my life in real pinball.

On the Wolverine table, the rom actually says "clever" when you perform one

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Yeah, there's a few places where Zen rewards you for doing one, including a trophy on the Avengers table which is kind of funny. Boba Fett says "excellent" when you do one on his table even though its super simple.

I've never done one in real life, I just never feel right about hitting the table that hard. If I ever bought a beat-up used table I would try it.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I've never done one in real life, I just never feel right about hitting the table that hard. If I ever bought a beat-up used table I would try it.
Unless the machine is in seriously bad condition, there's little chance of a bangback harming the machine. It is, however, quite easy to injure yourself (mainly your wrist) doing one.

I still wouldn't try one on a machine you don't own, as many operators frown on the practice.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts