Farsight:why do you use XBox(product not avai. presently) to advertise?

SilverBallFiend

Dec 18, 2012
I made this post in another thread, but think it better to start a new thread, as I don't want to highjack another topic.

Farsight, I have a question about your advertising for unreleased tables:

Why do you use visuals on a defunct product line as far as TPA is presently involved with and selling (Xbox) to advertise a product for other mediums customers are able to purchase?
The Xbox screen shots mislead your customer base IMO and can be argued as blatant false advertising.
Even more so considering the other platforms you actually sell your product on, are of significant less quality graphically and more to the point the advertising used is for UNAVAILABLE product for purchase.
You might as well show us pics of the actual machines since you do not sell the tables in that format either.

Why don't you release screen shots of the actual platforms available rather than screen caps for a product you are no longer selling at present (and for some months now)?

Not intending to sound abrasive, I'm just sincerely questioning this method of advertising.

I have purchased multiple tables based on the screen caps you show for upcoming tables expecting them to be of very similar quality of the images you use to advertise your products only to be very disappointed with the final product in comparison to these images you use to advertise.

Hope to hear a reply. If this has already been addressed my apologies in advance and I would appreciate a link to the reply. Thanks!

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
DISCLAIMER: I am not a FarSight employee, nor should anything in this post be construed as an official statement of FarSight Studios.

I've always just assumed the 360 version gets shown because the 360 is the development platform and so the 360 version of the table is always the first one available for use in screenshots.

SilverBallFiend

Dec 18, 2012
I understand that, but this is not a product that is available in any capacity for a customer to purchase at present.

Although it may be the "development" platform, it is for a platform that the product is not available to purchase from at any capacity, at all, at present.

My concern is why they use this to sell their tables when so far they have not been indicative of the quality of the product available for purchase by customers.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I'd really like to see PS3 screens/vids as well, mainly because the PS3 version doesn't always get the same polish, unfortunately, so it's hard to know exactly what I'm paying for until I actually buy it.

Last edited:

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I develop the tables on Xbox 360 cause it's the easiest hardware to develop on. That means the tables are finished and polished on Xbox 360 before any other platform. That may one day change to be PC, but for now it's still Xbox 360. Since the tables are finished there first, they record using the 360.

It's not an attempt at false advertising or anything like that. Just easiest. I don't know much about the recording hardware, but I'm not sure we have a setup to record off a phone/tablet, aside from using a video camera to record a phone in someones hands. I imagine we could record off PS3, except that the tables aren't ready on PS3 until a bit later. So it would be too late to put out before our mobile release.

I could see that changing with using PC because of programs like fraps make recording really easy.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I develop the tables on Xbox 360 cause it's the easiest hardware to develop on. That means the tables are finished and polished on Xbox 360 before any other platform. That may one day change to be PC, but for now it's still Xbox 360. Since the tables are finished there first, they record using the 360.

It's not an attempt at false advertising or anything like that. Just easiest. I don't know much about the recording hardware, but I'm not sure we have a setup to record off a phone/tablet, aside from using a video camera to record a phone in someones hands. I imagine we could record off PS3, except that the tables aren't ready on PS3 until a bit later. So it would be too late to put out before our mobile release.

I could see that changing with using PC because of programs like fraps make recording really easy.

I would be more than happy to post screens of the polished iPad 4 version of the upcoming tables in a news article a few days to a week before release if you guys allow me to. :)

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Mike, any chance we can get some PC vids soon to hold us over until the Steam version is ready?

I can see if management would like to do that.

I would be more than happy to post screens of the polished iPad 4 version of the upcoming tables in a news article a few days to a week before release if you guys allow me to. :)

That's more an issue for Bobby to answer.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
I'm fine with showing the Xbox version first because its the first done, but It would be nice if they later showed the pS3 version later when it's completed. (Same for iOS)

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Did the OP's point get missed? Seeing how PS3 DLC is about a 1 1/2 months behind mobile releases a video of the PS3 would at least say "hey its submitted" maybe a disclaimer "this is xbox not on a mobile device or PS3"? Even though this is known by followers of this forum its like fake food all dolled up to entice you to order what you see in the picture then once you get it its nothing like the picture.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Did the OP's point get missed? Seeing how PS3 DLC is about a 1 1/2 months behind mobile releases a video of the PS3 would at least say "hey its submitted" maybe a disclaimer "this is xbox not on a mobile device or PS3"? Even though this is known by followers of this forum its like fake food all dolled up to entice you to order what you see in the picture then once you get it its nothing like the picture.

Looking back through the recent media they've posted on Facebook, namely screens of Centaur, Dr. Dude, and Firepower, and a video of Centaur and Pin*Bot the screenshots are clearly labelled "PS3" in their accompanying captions, and they clearly state Xbox360 in their YouTube caption on the Centaur/Pin*Bot video.

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
possible answer: Because if they showed the PS3 version, it would mean taking more time on IT'S development time , and that means doing the Xbox 360 , but then you have to wait to make the PS3 version look really incredible , and they can't generate hype as fast as they want to . With showing the 360 versions they get their online youtube video out faster , and they can get away with bad results on PS3. Otherwise they would delay showing off videos for longer than mgmt. wants .

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Can you imagine how amazing the PS3 tables could look if they utilized the full power of the PS3 dev kit?
You can always tell the difference between a system exclusive and a port.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I really can understand the OP's point here.

I think the main concern is that media is being shown from a platform which is not supported (through no fault of FarSight's), and a quality of product is being promoted which is not for sale at this time.

However, I think FarSight are making it quite clear that most media is taken from the Xbox 360 version.

From my own perspective (I do not own a mobile device), I'm quite happy to see media taken from the development platform, as the table packs are not available for my platforms of choice anyway. Therefore it's nice to see these tables represented in their best light, until the PC versions come along.

I can see how this could be frustrating for mobile users though, as they are not seeing a true representation of what it is they are buying.

Hasn't this always been the case with game promotion though? Developers have always shown pictures of the 'best' version on boxes and in advertisements.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
when i look at those screenshots and videos i am watching them on my HDTV which is used as a computer monitor. I do not expect the graphics to be the same as the device / platform i will actually be playing it on. I was even told in the centaur screenshots thread the video was done on x-box 360 and the lighting effects would not carry over to iOS the device / platform i will be playing on.

smooverr

Oct 28, 2012
I've had a lot of conversations with the OP about this and I totally agree with him. Every time I buy a pack on PS3 I have to hold my breath and wait to hope it turns out well. At no point are there vids released from the PS version. Just because they started labelling the vids and pics RECENTLY, doesn't excuse the fact that there are major changes made and drop offs in quality in the PS version. I can't recall a single other game I've ever purchased where no screen caps or vids are available ahead of time.

Seeing pics of the 360 or mobile versions doesn't help a purchaser make an informed decision when buying a different version. I see no reason why a proper vid can't be released even on the day the pack is released. Everyone else does it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts