Tips for an Android newbie

cubemoss

Apr 12, 2013
Hi all, I just got an Android tablet (Asus TF700t) and am trying to get the hang of using it, as well as finally diving in to TPA. I have a few questions, though.

When I leave the app by going back to the home/desktop, I see that it is still running. Is there a proper way to Exit TPA? I couldn't find an option in the menus. Or is it just that it'll stop running if I haven't used it for a long while (unlikely that I won't play for a long while, but hey...)?

I can see the options to purchase tables individually, but how do I get find descriptions and purchase options for the Season Passes?

Is there a way to use a PS3 controller with it sometimes?

Thanks in advance... I'll probably have more questions coming soon too, fair warning!

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
To use a PS3 controller wirelessly, you need to root your tablet, then buy an app called Sixaxis

Or when TPA has native controller support added (hopefully soon) you won't need root, but will need an OTG/USB adapter (cost about £3) see here... http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/4004...&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=63
Then just plug the controller via a usb cable straight into your tablet.

To close TPA (or anything else), back out of the app press 'open apps' tab on navbar
4eqapy3u.jpg

Then swipe the app you wish to close out of the list.

N

netizen

The seasons passes will be implemented with the update that will be going to the play store sometime today or this weekend, likely.

You can use a ps3 controller in conjunction with another app called sixaxis, but you need to be rooted, iirc.

you can "close any app" by pressing the button on your task bar, by the home button, that looks like a stack of windows.pieces of paper and it will show you a list of the previously used apps. Simply swipe the app to the side to remove it from memory.

cubemoss

Apr 12, 2013
Thanks for the helpful replies! I think I'll wait and see if I can do everything I want to without rooting the device. I decided to pick up an icade, so maybe that'll satisfy my controller needs.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Whille you can manually close TPA by using the methods suggested, there is no need as such.

The Dalvik VM will manage the memory required on your device, and essentially puts the app into stasis when it is running in the background. If other events on your device demand that memory is released, the Dalvic VM will purge old apps from memory.

It is all "automagical", and full of five types of win.

cubemoss

Apr 12, 2013
Well, I'm up and running and gradually learning more about both Android and pinball, so that's good. Got to play a little TOTAN as I waited in the airport in Chicago, so I enjoyed being so close to the source of so many great pinball games.

Here's my latest questions: I got the iCade, as I'm a retro arcade fanatic and I figured it might save me a bunch of money and basement space in the long run, if you catch my drift. We'll see how that goes. But back to the questions -- first, I gather that TPA for Android doesn't work with the iCade yet, but that's coming in the next update, is that correct?

Secondly, I was having a lot of trouble getting my tablet to connect to the iCade. Started looking around, and I gather that the most recent (4.2.x) version of Android has 'broken' the functionality of a lot of Bluetooth external game controllers. Since I was having so much trouble, I figured I must have 4.2.x on my tablet. But when I looked, I've actually got 4.1.1. Good thing I didn't just follow the update prompts without hesitation. After continuing to mess around with trying to connect it, based partly on a vague online post that proposed a possible workaround, and partly on completely illogical yet dogged persistence, I got it working, although occasionally I get error messages onscreen, but it continues working nonetheless. So I guess my question about that is, is it possible that it's not specifically my version of Android causing the problem, but the Bluetooth version itself? Can that be downgraded to a previous, better working version independently of the OS? And after reading up on what to expect with the next version of Android, I couldn't tell if they are going to address the problems that gamers have had with their external controllers or not -- anyone have a sense of that?

cubemoss

Apr 12, 2013
Yes, my understanding is that it functions as an external keyboard, connecting with Bluetooth. You can find a couple of tutorials on setting it up on Youtube. But like I was saying, the most recent versions of Android seem to have reworked Bluetooth and make it so most external controllers don't work, or maybe only work with extensive workarounds. Previously it was pretty quick and easy to set up. The only other issue is that, depending on your device, it may fit into the iCade cabinet slightly worse than the iPad. The Transformer line is slightly larger than the iPad, but it fits into the same groove used for landscape orientation.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Re 4.2.x breaking bluetooth - yes it does and no one knows if or when it will be fixed. 4.2.2 was rumoured to be a fix but wasn't.
'Sixaxis' app does work with 4.2.x though because it temporarily installs it's own drivers, and has pre this problem due to older issues with Samsung & HTC devices.

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012
ok thanks, I just assumed Icade worked only with Ipads. I will now have to do some thinking and research if my 8 inch tab will fit and if I should invest in one ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts