Centaur vs Pin*Bot (which is better?)

Centaur or Pin*Bot

• Total voters

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I keep going back and fourth about this table pack. Which of the 2 pins is the better of table pack 14? I hadn't played Centaur in well over twenty years and I love it. But Pin*Bot looks and plays so good. I'm having trouble deciding which is better. I simply love playing both of them. What are your thoughts on this table pack?

Last edited:

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
I love Centaur's fantasy biker/metal theme, artwork, color scheme (almost all of the color comes from lights), background "music", call outs, insults, reverb, crunchy drop target sounds, the end-of-ball bonus light show and sounds when you've got 79K (FS missed the "completeness" of this sound, but it's still great), all lights turning off when an orb is released, the lower lane (Guardian) rollover feature, five ball multiball, the outlane saver gates, and the overall gameplay where you can have as much fun trapping and aiming vs. wailing away and keeping the ball flying all over the place.

Pin*Bot just doesn't do it for me. Weak sound, very little feedback that you're playing good (or bad), kind of an overall "ho hum"ness to the flow and general gameplay. Pin*Bot's Visor is the linchpin of this table and it just doesn't grab me.

YMMV, of course.

Last edited:

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Centaur gets my vote, if only more tables had near constant multiball like centaur. Do any other tables have this much multiball? I guess TZ has a fair bit but not this much.

Mongol

Feb 20, 2013
Prefer less-cluttered tables so definitely like both of these. Pinbot is good, but fell in love with Centaur instantly. Great play and color scheme. Probably my favorite table now, over Funhouse, Space Shuttle, and Black Hole.

night

May 18, 2012
Let not make a fight about it, they are both excellent tables and FarSight did a good job on them. I really start to develop a deep love for early 80ties tables.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Back when Centaur released, I didn't know about pinball rules. So I just hit the flippers and knocked down the whole 4 drop targets. "Ooh, whatever, where's Tempest?" Now that I'm an old man, and having learned the rules of this masterpiece, I can't stop playing it. Apparently, who needs ramps and toys when all you need is a good ruleset?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I voted for Pin*Bot. Nostalgia gives it just the slightest edge for me. Played Pin*Bot a bunch back in the day. Centaur was much less common in my area and I only played it a handful of times. Both are super pins.

tyche

Oct 6, 2012
I find Centaur more fun. Pinbot has great looks but I don't find the table fun to play. Centaur feels like classic pinball to me.

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
centaur is a real life vintage classic from 29 years ago. 29 years ago it stood at the arcade that was once 2 miles up the road. it comes in a close first. pin*bot i never encountered in the real world but it is giving centaur a run in the virtual world coming in for a close 2nd.

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
I never played either of the two before they were released on TPA...They are both great (and even more so with the new nudge zones). Centaur however seems to be the one I'm playing the most between the two. Something about it...the "dark" feel of it, B&W table art, sounds, whatever) keeps me coming back for more, even though it kicks my a**. Centaur 1, Pin*Bot 2....at least for now. ;)

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
As soon as I was done laughing hysterically like a lunatic....I voted for Centaur. :p

Note-I do wish to add that this was a fantastic pack though. Both tables look and play great. A return to form.

Last edited:

Man-Machine

Dec 6, 2012
Haven't played either irl. My vote goes to Centaur. Initially I didn't like Pinbot att all, but I'm getting to like it better rvery day. Still - Centaur is simply great, with probably the best sound in all of TPA.

dagwood

Feb 2, 2013
Never played Centaur in real life but definitely dumped a couple of hundred $$ into PinBot at the local bowling alley. The TPA version of PB is definitely easier to play, but I'm really loving Centaur's commanding sound and gameplay. FS needs to definitely pump/compress the audio out from PB because at the moment it sounds really weak - even through headphones!

Table pack 14 is by far one of the best TPA releases in a long time. Harley Davidson has to be the worst and most annoying table release ever - what possessed them to waste time and resources on that table is a mystery to me :confused:

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.