Any PS3 users up for dusting off their fake plasic guitars?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Confession: I used to be a Guitar Hero / Rock Band junky. Even long after it stopped being remotely popular.

While I'm grateful I never succumbed to purchasing any DLC (never could justify it), I did pay the transfer fee so that the majority of songs from the various titles would all live within either RB3 or GH:WoR. Most summers I tended to find myself playing these games almost nightly. Last summer was the first time I skipped out completely due to pinball overtaking my gaming life.

Well, I got that itch again the other night, and I'm once again enjoying being a fake rock god with fake plastic instruments. Only thing is, I realize something missing, and that is playing with other people. I've ignored my online 'friends' of these games to the point I'm practically an anonymous random player. The games are so out of fashion, there's no one online to hook up a random game with.

Which brings me to here. I have WAY more pinball friends on my PS3 than the 12 or so I made for the music games. I never participated in those forums, whereas in this forum I'm active daily, thus feel I know more of you in that online sort of way.

So do any of you play? I don't care if it's Rock Band, Guitar Hero, or even DJ Hero (yes, I even got into that...both of 'em), who'd be up for a little session online some night? By the looks of my in game check with Rock Band, none of you play, which is astounding to me. Still, it wasn't a thorough check by any means!

I'm kinda expecting crickets for a response, maybe some good hearted mocking even. I know, I know...2008 called and they want their silly rhythm games back! I can't help myself. It's nearly summer, this is what I do. So pipe up, I don't care what your skill level is, nor what game. I have 'em all, it don't matter! I range from sucky on drums to pretty damn alright on guitar/bass.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Yea. I'm completely over the fad.

I have a drumkit, 2 guitars and a microphone. "Unfortunately" they are in the basement and I sold off the discs ^^'...I should get rid of the hardware as well actually.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Yeah. I definitely had a good year of playing a lot of the first couple of GH games and the first RB. Funnily enough, it got me back into playing drums and later guitar in a mate's band. Not played RB or GH since then. Still have the discs and a couple of guitars. Might give GH2 another go sometime. I remember that one as being particularly fun and with a good mix of classic rock and indie. Not sure how you can top playing Freebird in front of Stonehenge!

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Hey man, send me a friend req (spoonmanx).

I've been missing the late Summer nights playing RB.
I have a few of the discs (RB1, RB2, Lego, Beatles) and about 300DLC tunes.
For "instruments" I usually stick to guitar or pro keyboards. I play kb/piano IRL, yet I still kind of suck that this. ;)

I've also been toying around with going for the Endless Set list trophy.

I'm a late night gamer mostly (11pm-4am) EST is my prime time.

Oh, and I do have the GH games too, GH 1-6?(I think it's 6, warriors of rock), plus the Smash Hits, Van Halen, Metallica (damn, I'm just now seeing how much I invested into this hehe).

Anyway, send me a message and we'll see if we can get something going.

*edit: I have Rock Band Blitz too (fun game and it even has a pinball element!)
So if you have that we can play Score Wars.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Hey man, send me a friend req (spoonmanx).

I've also been toying around with going for the Endless Set list trophy.

I'm a late night gamer mostly (11pm-4am) EST is my prime time.

Oh, and I do have the GH games too, GH 1-6?(I think it's 6, warriors of rock), plus the Smash Hits, Van Halen, Metallica (damn, I'm just now seeing how much I invested into this hehe).

Endless set list, that is the one things I've never even attempted. No pausing and no breaks for 3+ hours? Yikes!

I'm Pacific Standard, so your game times match up perfectly with mine, 10-midnight.

Yeah, it is kinda crazy to think how much money I spent on these games too. I will say this though...I didn't pay full retail for a single one. I used to scour eBay for killer bargains (got the full instrument version of Band Hero for $60 with shipping) or wait to find the games on the cheap at Game Stop. I won my full DJ Hero 2 setup, and that included 2 turntables, all for hosting an online 'house party'. And then like I said, never bought any DLC. Even still, with all the songs imported from other discs, I've got 350+ songs to choose. It bugs me that Beatles never was importable to RB, nor Van Halen to GH. Especially when Green Day and Metallica were.

So that's one player...any chance we could get a small pinball band going?

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
So, my theory was correct after all... Playing pinball and - in my case trying - to make music (at least have a feel /sense for rhythm) go together well ;)

Metallica and regular GH here...

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I only play real guitars.
And I'm thinking about buying the video game Rocksmith.
I read somewhere that it is like GH but with real instruments. Guitar & Bass.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I have Rocksmith, bought it a month before TPA came out. You do the math!

It has a horrible menu interface, but the play of it is pretty cool. Worth getting.

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
Kinda funny you mention it, I pulled out RB3 last night. Sang a bit and played some guitar.
I have all the songs from 1,2, Lego, and green day exported into 3 plus dlc and Beatles with all the songs. Wouldn't mind playing a bit one of these days.

Edit: for the endless setlist in 3...I know it's cheating a bit but is there anything to stop you from putting on no fail and just letting it do it's thing.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Kinda funny you mention it, I pulled out RB3 last night. Sang a bit and played some guitar.
I have all the songs from 1,2, Lego, and green day exported into 3 plus dlc and Beatles with all the songs. Wouldn't mind playing a bit one of these days.

Edit: for the endless setlist in 3...I know it's cheating a bit but is there anything to stop you from putting on no fail and just letting it do it's thing.

i'm pretty sure you can't cheat your way through endless set list.

Well grashopper, if you wanna join in, add shutyertrap and spoonmanx to your PSN friends and then message us.

I realize what it is about playing online...there are songs you'd never pick to play for whatever reasons, but then the other person does and that's cool, plus it becomes like listening to a mix tape with everyone contributing. There was one guy I used to play with, we'd sometimes use in game voice chat but usually not, and we always knew when the other was about done playing for the night because we both had a 'closing' song. The problem with randoms would be they'd play their song and then drop out of yours. I had a few times where all the other person would pick would be death metal songs (that they sucked at playing too), so I'd counter with the iCarly chick's song, just because I knew they'd drop out anyways. With that song picked, they'd usually drop out while still in the menu! Funny thing is, it's actually fun to play.

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
What I would like to know is why did the death metal guy download the ICarly song? Interesting... :)
Yeah I'll give it a go. I think I play around the same time. Same name as on here if anyone is motivated to add me
Grashopper with one s

Edit: Looking like I'm going to be the guy on drums ... I try pro keys but am a bit crap, also kills me not being able to play most my songs. I can do expert bass, hard guitar and drums. There is occasional stuff that still destroys me though.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
the iCarly song was one of the free downloads that came with RB2. You had to download them all, no picking and choosing. Believe me, if I could pick and choose I'd delete Visions right out of the game (the most notorious of the death metal songs)

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
You sure? I thought it was just a loose free one like portal. I don't think I have it.
Also would love to delete visions!

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I only play real guitars.
And I'm thinking about buying the video game Rocksmith.
I read somewhere that it is like GH but with real instruments. Guitar & Bass.
Rocksmith is really good. It has some aspects that will drive you nuts, particularly the menu interface, and how long it takes to go from one song to another or something like that, but it's really good. And you're actually playing. I couldn't play at all when I started and I've been to master at least a few songs and hack my way through dozens of others.

I would love to see them do a sequel or a PS4 version.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012

Added both of you (as you know).
I was going to play tonight until I realized the dongles were left at my brother's house.
I really hope they are still there or I'll have to buy them again.

As far as the "Endless Setlist" goes you can definitely set to No Fail, but you will still have to get the songs started manually so you might as well just play along since you'll have to stay next to a controller/plastic instrument.

I think it takes somewhere around 5-6 hours of playing for RB3's tunes, but you can pause.

I'll be checking in again once I get my dongles in order.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Rocksmith is really good. It has some aspects that will drive you nuts, particularly the menu interface, and how long it takes to go from one song to another or something like that, but it's really good. And you're actually playing. I couldn't play at all when I started and I've been to master at least a few songs and hack my way through dozens of others.

I would love to see them do a sequel or a PS4 version.

That's what I need to try. I could never get into GH and RB because it always felt too gimmicky after playing real guitar for so long, and I figured why spend time trying to master it when I could just spend that time playing my real guitar instead....but to be able to play a game while actually playing a guitar sounds like something I could dig.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
And see for me, RB and GH give me the instant gratification of seemingly performing amazing chord changes and such without knowing how to do any!

I should really plug Rocksmith in again though, give it a proper chance now that I'm not so distracted by TPA anymore.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
And see for me, RB and GH give me the instant gratification of seemingly performing amazing chord changes and such without knowing how to do any!

I should really plug Rocksmith in again though, give it a proper chance now that I'm not so distracted by TPA anymore.

Yeah, RB and GH are great for that. I thnk if these games had been around before I learned guitar, I would've been all over them. It's cool that they inspire people to want to pick up real instruments too, and spark/renew interest in playing music in general, especially guitar-based music.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I also like the idea of maybe becoming a better guitar player by playing a video / computer game.
Thanks for feedback I will definitely check this game out. (Steam Version)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts