Inverse Poll: What Table Would You Not Play If it Was On Free Play

N

netizen

Are there really any table packs that people wouldn't buy? I don't mean the era of machines as there is obviously some lovers of specific kinds of pinball, but I am referring to titles. Are there really any pinball machines that would not get played on free play? Obviously hyperball and those sorts of games don't count

This translates to TPA as well, in regards to hypothetical purchases.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
South Park is pretty lame, which is a shame....hey, I'm a poet...

Seriously though, it's not very good.

Last edited:

dagwood

Feb 2, 2013
Oh yeah that Spy Hunter is a real dog - that repetitive music gets on my nerves.

I must say I do enjoy playing South Park at my local arcade, but then I'm a big fan of the show ;)

Based on machines I've played IRL, I nominate two Gottlieb tables with awesome backglass artwork but are total snoozers to play:
1) The Incredible Hulk
2) Dragon

norbert26

Apr 21, 2013
i would most buy any table to add to my collection even if they are tables i did care for in RL. If i don't like the music on it i just mute it . If its an outlane happy eater i am not pumping coins into it.

Jul 2, 2012
If a real pinball machine was on Free Play, I'd play it no matter what it is or how bad the theme or gameplay is. It's pinball, that alone is enough to give me the kicks :cool:

Rollergoalie16

Dec 25, 2012
I see some like minded people here already. I would definitely include South Park, Spy Hunter, and Hercules on my list as well.

N

netizen

i would most buy any table to add to my collection even if they are tables i did care for in RL. If i don't like the music on it i just mute it . If its an outlane happy eater i am not pumping coins into it.
This is how I view TPA and the tables recreated for it.

If a real pinball machine was on Free Play, I'd play it no matter what it is or how bad the theme or gameplay is. It's pinball, that alone is enough to give me the kicks :cool:
Even the tables I don't particularly like, are still pinball.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
Pretty much anything from Sega/Stern from 1995 until 2001 when Monopoly came out. Most just had lame artwork and generally felt very cheap. Many relied HEAVILY on the popularity of their license, i.e. South Park.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Police force.

Middle ramp, middle ramp, middle ramp... With a 3 inches entry to the ramp, only a third up the table. In tournament I was able to shoot it like 40 times consecutively, on my first ever ball on that machine... Just plain boring...

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
For unreleased stuff I would go with bad cats, mousin around, rolling stones, popeye. A bunch of stern sega stuff and some of the mid-late 200x stern tables.

Of the released stuff, harley Davidson. I pray it is never part of a tournament.

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
Of the released stuff, harley Davidson. I pray it is never part of a tournament.

You beat me to the punch. I played about five games of the HD pinball machine when it came out and I was over it. It was a free-play table a couple of months ago on TPA and I played one game. That was enough.

I wouldn't even accept a brand new HD pinball machine if it was offered to me free and with free lifetime maintenance.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
For unreleased stuff I would go with bad cats, mousin around, rolling stones, popeye. A bunch of stern sega stuff and some of the mid-late 200x stern tables.

Bad Cats and Mousin Around have cheesy themes, but the gameplay is solid for both.

RetroDude

Mar 24, 2012
I really just can't get into most of the new Stern tables.
Yes, they are licensed.
Yes, they may have deep rule sets.
In my personal opinion, they sacrafice playability just for flash and gimmicks.

In real life, I'll play them each once or twice, but will save my arcade time for other machines.

If there were other tables around in an arcade, even if they cost money, I'd probably spend much more total time on other machines.

All that said, if Farsight suddently started releasing them on TPA, I'd still buy them.
The price is a bargain and perhaps I'd find more appreciation for them with repeated play.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I wouldn't play Rolling Stones if you paid me. I think Stern has made considerable improvements with most of their newer tables but that (and to a lesser extent X-Men) just stand out as bucking the recent trend of higher quality, more enjoyable tables.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Austin Powers. Had to install one in a bar once and could barely be bothered to test it once in situ. Those early modern-era Sterns were pretty dreadful. First half-decent one was Rollercoaster Tycoon.

Members online

Members online