Bug Screen Rotation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enduser2941

Dec 30, 2012
Hi Guys,

Hey all just a question / bug report? Unfortunately I have not been able to play my most favorite Android games until this evening and I am noticing what to me is a huge problem, though I do not know if this is to be expected or if this is in fact a bug, however, when I am in game and no matter what table or season, the screen no longer rotates to landscape. This used to work for all the tables I have which is all of season one. As long as I had Screen Rotation turned on and once in game all I would have to do is turn my device to the side and the tables would would automatically rotate to landscape. I am pretty sure that this stopped working after the last major update to the Pinball Arcade....Below are my specifications.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note SGH-i717
App: Pinball Arcade

I really hope that this is just an oversight or bug because this flipping to landscape is the only way I enjoy playing Pinball Arcade. If more information is needed please let me know, and I will try to provide you with what every you need as I can't wait to get this fixed!! :eek:)

Thanks!

John

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
The rotate works up until you press the start button within the individual table.

I don't think TPA has ever worked any differently personally. But I could be wrong.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Yeah I've had A LOT of crashes lately when rotating phone mid-game. Almost never happened before. I'm using galaxy s3 and a wonderful app called ultimate rotation control, which lets me play PA in portrait mode holding phone upside down. This way I won't touch the phones back keys by accident :) always worked great for me.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
A slightly different but related issue.

Although I cannot currently plug a wired xbox controller into PA and play because keys are not re-mappable without rooting, even when this is implemented if you rotate the game so the tablet is upside down it works fine in the menus, but when the table is launched /started the table flips 180 degrees becoming upside down.

The reason for having the pad upside down is so the controller can be plugged it at the top allowing the tablet to be stood on a stand. This works well with Zen and The Revenge of the Rob-o-bot.

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
Well, you could try the app I was talking about, it also has a "lock" function. First rotate the game, then pull down window and select locked view.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
Well, you could try the app I was talking about, it also has a "lock" function. First rotate the game, then pull down window and select locked view.

Just tried it the 7-day triala - thanks it works well. I won't buy it until I can use the Xbox controller, unless of course PA fix the rotation issue.

enduser2941

Dec 30, 2012
Oh hey guys, looks like I figured out what is going on. As said, the game used to constantly crash when auto rotating between portrait and landscape mid-game. To combat thi it looks like the solution to this was to modify the game so that it doesn't flip mid-game, but if you rotate the device prior to going in game, the game will keep that orientation. So if your have the device in portrait when you start the game, it will stay in portrait. If you hold your device in landscape and start the game, it will stay in landscape.

This is definitely fairly new, or at least new since I last was able to play the game. I had not had the game installed for a while do to having to get me device replaced under warranty a couple times. I had noticed a number of updates to the game since I last was able to play. Once I finally was able to install the game back in and then actually play it, I had noticed a number of changes to the game, and from what I see all good changes including all of the season two tables. The one thing I haven't noticed is if there are any release notes that include a list of all the changes and when they were released. I am sure there is something listed on these forums.

Anyway, I think I can retract this as being a bug, it would seem as though this is working as designed and having looked back, it would seem as though this is a good change! :)

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Oh hey guys, looks like I figured out what is going on. As said, the game used to constantly crash when auto rotating between portrait and landscape mid-game. To combat thi it looks like the solution to this was to modify the game so that it doesn't flip mid-game, but if you rotate the device prior to going in game, the game will keep that orientation. So if your have the device in portrait when you start the game, it will stay in portrait. If you hold your device in landscape and start the game, it will stay in landscape.

This is definitely fairly new, or at least new since I last was able to play the game. I had not had the game installed for a while do to having to get me device replaced under warranty a couple times. I had noticed a number of updates to the game since I last was able to play. Once I finally was able to install the game back in and then actually play it, I had noticed a number of changes to the game, and from what I see all good changes including all of the season two tables. The one thing I haven't noticed is if there are any release notes that include a list of all the changes and when they were released. I am sure there is something listed on these forums.

Anyway, I think I can retract this as being a bug, it would seem as though this is working as designed and having looked back, it would seem as though this is a good change! :)[/QUOTE]

The only change log is that described by Ryan in each beta thread. There is no other changelog thread I'm aware of.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
There is still the problem though. If you kill the app, turn the tablet upside down in portrait and launch the app. It starts in portrait the right way up and even stays that way in the tables attract mode. However, once you press Start the game flips upside down, but still in portrait.

Only an issue if you are using a corded game controller on a stand for the Nexus 7, because the cord is in the way when the tablet is the correct way up. The app above sorts it out but is still is another app you don't really need.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
... a wonderful app called ultimate rotation control, which lets me play PA in portrait mode holding phone upside down. This way I won't touch the phones back keys by accident :) always worked great for me.

Thanks for recommending the Ultimate Rotation Control app. I wanted to be able to hold the tablet in an inverted portrait mode, because the tablet's speaker is on the bottom edge of the device. Now the sound isn't muffled!

enduser2941

Dec 30, 2012
There is still the problem though. If you kill the app, turn the tablet upside down in portrait and launch the app. It starts in portrait the right way up and even stays that way in the tables attract mode. However, once you press Start the game flips upside down, but still in portrait.

Only an issue if you are using a corded game controller on a stand for the Nexus 7, because the cord is in the way when the tablet is the correct way up. The app above sorts it out but is still is another app you don't really need.

Whats the official way to open an issue with the god's of pinball to insure that this can get fixed? I mean for now, the work around of starting the game in landscape seems to work ok for me, but I see how that could be an issue for someone with corded device.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Whats the official way to open an issue with the god's of pinball to insure that this can get fixed? I mean for now, the work around of starting the game in landscape seems to work ok for me, but I see how that could be an issue for someone with corded device.

Send an email to support@farsightstudios.com with the details of the bug. If the bug is new, they will add it to the bug tracker for triage. Don't expect a response, except if they need more info from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts