PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any "guilty pleasures" tables you'd like to see?

Richard B
04-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Does anyone else have favorite tables that are terribly designed, but you love them anyway? For me, one that comes to mind is Phantom of the Opera. It's got some of the worst design choices imaginable:
-Flippers that are farther apart than normal, with no post.
-Two kicker holes that have a strong tendency to toss the balls into the outlanes or between the flippers.
-The organ ramp, which is integral to activating multiball, is positioned so that balls rolling down it often go between the flippers.
-There aren't a whole lot of features.
These would be fatal flaws, if the presentation elements weren't so fantastic. In addition to the awesome theme, the back glass features the phantom with a mask that can become transparent or removed during play (revealing the best depiction of Erik unmasked I've ever seen), as well as a beautiful, scantily-clad-yet-not-trashy woman. The playfield also had some nice, interesting graphics. The sound effects, however, are what really make this table. Between the phantom's eerie voice, Christine's terrified heroine (with a scream whenever you drain a ball that would make Jamie Lee Curtis proud), and an stellar score, with plenty of Beethoven, and some opera (of course).
Anyone else have "guilty pleasures?"

Brian Clark
04-19-2012, 08:09 PM
TMNT is probably mine. Not the best table, but lots to love for TMNT fans.

Rudy Yagov
04-19-2012, 08:15 PM
I'd say Big Guns. It's really not that badly designed, but a lot of people seem to dislike it for not having pop bumpers, as well as the humongous backbox.

Brian Clark
04-19-2012, 08:29 PM
I'd say Big Guns. It's really not that badly designed, but a lot of people seem to dislike it for not having pop bumpers, as well as the humongous backbox.

I like it as well. It's a unique design, but I didn't find it to be badly designed at all.

Shaneus
04-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Probably Baywatch, I think. Camp theme but a great table. Doubt it would sell many, so damn unlikely!
Apollo 13 - 13 ball multiball? That'll do.
Ben Heck's Bill Paxton Pinball. Because why not? Ben Heck working with Farsight would be a laugh!
Also, some perfect guilty pleasure ones would be those from the Hankin stable (http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?mfgid=2&searchtype=advanced), a little-known Australian company from the 80s. Empire Strikes Back was the first licensed Star Wars pinball and put in the hands of some Aussie guy! My friend actually has this table, but at some stage in the life of the machine two of the pop bumpers needed to be replaced. As there are so few tables by this company, parts are hard to come by they had to be replaced with ones from a Dennis Lillee's Howzat!, themed after an Australian cricketer :o

bavelb
04-19-2012, 11:20 PM
I always thought TAXI was a guilty pleasure of mine, as it's theme is a bit wonky, but over the last few weeks I found out it's actually really loved and appreciated all-around, including the folks at Farsight.

Other then that I guess it's Space Shuttle for me. When I analyse the table it's rather boring, but then you hit multiball within 10 seconds after hitting the plunger :)

Brian Clark
04-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Stern Indiana Jones, though I'm not sure if it counts. It's not as good as the Williams pin, but it's still quite a bit of fun with 8 ball multiball and other nice features.

superballs
04-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Data East's Monday Night Football:

One of the first machines i got to spend any serious time on and had a blast gaining yardage and shooting the extra point.

Mega
04-23-2012, 09:03 PM
South Park Pinball.

Nothing stellar, not terrible, but it made me laugh, so I kept playing it.

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=4444

Brian Clark
04-24-2012, 12:17 PM
Part of me wants to see the Bally Eight Ball SS becuase of how mean it is.

Snotrot
04-28-2012, 09:40 AM
It would have to be the Rescue 911 table for me. Though not because of its design, I rather think the table is well laid out with lots of cool visual and audio effects. It's more because of the odd and random choice to make a pinball game of the TV show Rescue 911 that makes it my guilty pleasure.

Along similar lines they totally should have made an Unsolved Mysteries table. Man that would’ve been cool.

dtown8532
04-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Cactus Canyon because, though certainly playable, its unfinished. Incomplete music and software. Nonetheless, it's rare, expensive and many people have never played it. CC is a lot of fun and I'd love to see it in The Pinball Arcade. Shouldn't be too difficult to get I think. No annoying licenses. I hope to see it someday.

Along those same lines but to a lesser extent I'd like to see The Champion Pub too. Another unfinished pin that's a guilty pleasure for me.

These two represent the end of traditional pinball at Bally/Williams in 1998 and were victims of the shifting of resources to develop Pinball 2000. Hope to see them.

Bowflex
04-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Cactus Canyon because, though certainly playable, its unfinished. Incomplete music and software. Nonetheless, it's rare, expensive and many people have never played it. CC is a lot of fun and I'd love to see it in The Pinball Arcade. Shouldn't be too difficult to get I think. No annoying licenses. I hope to see it someday.

Along those same lines but to a lesser extent I'd like to see The Champion Pub too. Another unfinished pin that's a guilty pleasure for me.

These two represent the end of traditional pinball at Bally/Williams in 1998 and were victims of the shifting of resources to develop Pinball 2000. Hope to see them.

I love both of those tables, especially Cactus Canyon. I've read that the software released was pretty close to complete for both tables. Obviously it had to be or it wouldn't have been put into production with it. I've never seen much detail about the Champion Pub's ROMs but my understanding is that the software for Cactus Canyon was finished but never released and I recall reading somewhere that the individual that ended up in possession of it was willing to release it for the small sum of $30,000. I'm not sure if there is a legal way of pressuring the release of any completed software that exists since the software should belong to the company, not an individual and for a person to attempt to sell it sounds like a case of theft unless they purchased it from the company (Bally/Midway) they worked for.

Richard B
04-29-2012, 10:08 AM
South Park Pinball.

I like South Park Pinball. Excellent use of a great license, plus they got Parker, Stone, Hayes, and other cast members to record original dialogue. Even Simpson's Pinball Party, a personal favorite, could only manage to get three cast members to participate (that is why characters like Marge, Lisa, and Otto are seen on the display, but never heard). The South Park layout is pretty solid, too, even though it's pretty much a mishmash of things that worked well in other games. Still, while there's nothing in the layout we haven't seen before, there aren't any major issues, either.

Silverball
04-29-2012, 04:29 PM
- METALLICA -

I had a great time playing it and think it would be a fun variation of the classic "Earthshaker".
Loud music, bright flashing lights, and blazing ball speed - might need to have a setting to censor down the language for the kiddies..

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/10/metal-on-metal-behind-the-scenes-on-a-custom-pinball-game.ars

dtown8532
04-29-2012, 08:15 PM
I love both of those tables, especially Cactus Canyon. I've read that the software released was pretty close to complete for both tables. Obviously it had to be or it wouldn't have been put into production with it. I've never seen much detail about the Champion Pub's ROMs but my understanding is that the software for Cactus Canyon was finished but never released and I recall reading somewhere that the individual that ended up in possession of it was willing to release it for the small sum of $30,000. I'm not sure if there is a legal way of pressuring the release of any completed software that exists since the software should belong to the company, not an individual and for a person to attempt to sell it sounds like a case of theft unless they purchased it from the company (Bally/Midway) they worked for.

Interesting info Bowflex. I did not know that about CC. Even if Farsight had to release it with the original software I'd still buy it. I was lucky enough to play one about seven years ago at Hersheypark, PA and loved it nonetheless. Honesty, I was very surprised to even see one on location. Of course, its long since gone. Come to think of it I played a Champion Pub at a family type fun center near the park as well. They had that and Addams Family. Pumped lots of quarters in when I was there. More in Champion Pub though because I'd never seen one in real life before. Doubt that they're on location anymore. All location pins around my area (Reading, PA) seem to be gone or poorly kept up (Cough, cough Arnold's Fun Center and The Pinball Parlour). The York or Allentown shows are about the only places in my area anymore. Thank God for The Pinball Arcade.

Brian Clark
04-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Interesting info Bowflex. I did not know that about CC. Even if Farsight had to release it with the original software I'd still buy it. I was lucky enough to play one about seven years ago at Hersheypark, PA and loved it nonetheless. Honesty, I was very surprised to even see one on location. Of course, its long since gone. Come to think of it I played a Champion Pub at a family type fun center near the park as well. They had that and Addams Family. Pumped lots of quarters in when I was there. More in Champion Pub though because I'd never seen one in real life before. Doubt that they're on location anymore. All location pins around my area (Reading, PA) seem to be gone or poorly kept up (Cough, cough Arnold's Fun Center and The Pinball Parlour). The York or Allentown shows are about the only places in my area anymore. Thank God for The Pinball Arcade.

Not sure how far out of the way, but I was near that area a few months ago and, of all places, a mini arcade in Zern's market had a couple pins, Mr. and Mrs. Pac-Man and Gottlieb Jumping Jack.

dtown8532
04-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Not sure how far out of the way, but I was near that area a few months ago and, of all places, a mini arcade in Zern's market had a couple pins, Mr. and Mrs. Pac-Man and Gottlieb Jumping Jack.

Thanks for the info Brian. I haven't been to Zern's in years. There is a Rollergames in a local Italian restaurant near me. I play it now and then. Condition is OK. Theme is absolute crap! =) However, the playfield design is good enough that I'd guess it could be called a guilty pleasure. It's too bad I'm not really into EM's because there's a place called the Village Arcade in St. Peter's Village on the outskirts of Coventry, PA that had an incredible collection of them for 5 ball 25 cent play.

Bowflex
04-29-2012, 11:39 PM
I went back and checked the history and all. The discussion started about CC being a candidate for having home roms made like what had been done for several other games (Twilight Zone, Cirqus Voltaire, White Water, etc). It was then argued as to what would be the point with a more complete version of CC in existence. This romset (not necessarily final version) had the main differences being a more complete Wizard mode. Not to say CC doesn't have one but it is too easy to get compared to the intent of the designers and it is also more easy to complete than what was produced. The Match sequence was also filled out. Some speculation exists that various other minor things such as some animations are missing but no confirmation on specifics I could find. There have been various dollar amounts thrown around as rumor. The $30,000 had to do with a statement made by the guy who bought the WMS license from Australia and never did any of the major projects he set out to do. He stated that the programmer had a final version but was demanding that amount of money. No telling if that's the truth or not but certainly interesting.

jaredmorgs
05-21-2012, 07:09 PM
The shameful amounts of money I angrily shoved into Bally's Safe Cracker to get those damn SC tokens would make this one of my absolute *must play* guilty pleasure titles. I went through a phase of only playing this game on Visual Pinball, and in that implementation I loved the fact you could see how many tokens of which type you got.

The technical limitations for this would be the fact that the "board game" element happens in the backbox, so there would need to be a new camera angle introduced to zoom in on the backglass while this mode was active.

And I'm proud to say I still have the elusive Silver Token in my possession, plus a number of other standard gold tokens I could scan for the conversion (if it ever happened)!

Brian Clark
05-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Cirqus Voltaire already zooms in on the blackglass, so the board game on Safe Cracker might not be an issue.

HOW
05-22-2012, 12:44 AM
South Park Pinball.

I love SP :) The Carpet Munching Competition Video Mode cracked me up LOL

Dutch Pinball ball
05-22-2012, 05:33 AM
Hmmm, i am starting to get ''guilty'' feelings.

Now, i did not play both machines myself, but ive read alot and ive seen a ton of videos. But still, did not play it, so maybe i am wrong. But here i go.

I like the ac/dc Pro version alot more then the Premium..... Why?

- i do like the pro playfield. The longer i see that ugly mug, the more i like it. It has some old school quality in it. Plus, in a game, i dont think you see it.

- i think the lower playfield ruins the premium gameplay. To me its just a gimmick, boring even. Although, it looks great.

- i dont like the extra ramp from left to right. Its unnessecary and does not look good. Ive read that because of the cannon players even avoid the ramp. That cant be a good thing. I dont like the cannon on both machines, and on the premium it sometimes looks like a cannon frenzy.

SO, dont want to step on anybody toes, but thats how i think before i am gonne play both machines.

I would love to have a pro with the bell, i think thats the perfect AC/DC for me. Ive seen alot machines lately, and i got to say that this one impressed me. The sound, the gameplay, the lights.

But i would go for the Pro. I will get back on this after i played both.

(sadly no money yet to buy NIB, but i am thinking about to buy a NIB in future, off course, will not be a AC/DC.)

Captain Rumwood
05-23-2012, 04:23 AM
X-Files :cool:

neilpinbot
05-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Some table with the "loony tunes" characters in it (can't remember the table name) it wasn't exactly the best table i ever played but any game with Daffy Duck in it can't be too bad :p

Captain Rumwood
05-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Some table with the "loony tunes" characters in it (can't remember the table name) it wasn't exactly the best table i ever played but any game with Daffy Duck in it can't be too bad :p

Space Jam?

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=space+jam&sortby=name&searchtype=quick#3879

Jeff Strong
05-23-2012, 11:29 AM
I like Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Richard B
05-23-2012, 11:41 AM

Could also be Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball, which looks pretty cool (love the carrot flippers), but unfortunately, I've never seen one, and can't even get the VP one to run anymore.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=bugs+bunny&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#396

Richard B
05-23-2012, 11:46 AM
I like Rocky and Bullwinkle.

I like this table too, even though the constantly repeating sound clips can get on your nerves after a while. It seems 10 seconds cannot go by without hearing either either "alley oop", "oh Mr. Peabody", or a handful of other phrases. This could be due to the table being pre-DCS. Despite this, it is still a fun table that does a good job of capturing the spirit of the show.

andrewvevers
05-23-2012, 10:58 PM

How was champion pub unfinished? I played it a lot! I know CC was never released (at least, I never saw one in the UK) but remember enjoying CP.

Jeff Strong
05-23-2012, 11:16 PM
How was champion pub unfinished? I played it a lot! I know CC was never released (at least, I never saw one in the UK) but remember enjoying CP.

Cactus Canyon was released (903 units according to ipdb).

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=4445

neilpinbot
05-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Could also be Bugs Bunny's Birthday Ball, which looks pretty cool (love the carrot flippers), but unfortunately, I've never seen one, and can't even get the VP one to run anymore.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=bugs+bunny&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#396

It wasn't space jam, and pretty sure it wasn't this one that I remember though this table does look good :cool:. It's that many year's since I played it. I will have a nosey around and see if I can find pics of it.

Draftcard
05-24-2012, 10:21 AM
I like the shadow and demolition man a bunch, people have made fun of my love for those tables because the movies aren't the finest motion pictures. i guess they could be considered guilty pleasures, but i have no guilt!

i like what i like :)

the shadow is an excellent table...very unique stuff there going on

demolition man has tons of cool stuff going on with the ramps to shoot at AND THOSE DUAL WIELDING GUN HANDLES ON THE TOP LOOK SWEET!!

andrewvevers
05-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Cactus Canyon was released (903 units according to ipdb).

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=4445

Thanks Jeff. I remember this now and iI did see it in the UK. Must have been thinking of a different pin.

Jim O'Brien
05-25-2012, 06:31 AM
Genie (Gottlieb 1979) and I'm hopeful it will make it's way to TPA seeing it was on one of the other collections.

dtown8532
05-25-2012, 08:57 AM

From what I understand, minor software issues that just didn't get addressed due to the wind down of traditional pinball at Bally/Williams. There's a forty three minute video of someone playing it on pinball.org. I remember watching it and seeing a couple things that just didn't make sense in how the machine acted. Just like CC most wouldn't see anything amiss but I asked for them as guilty pleasures simply because they were like "unwanted stepchildren" in the eyes of upper Bally/Williams management. Since so few were made, many people never got to play one. I just want to see them on TPA.

Actionball
05-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Back to the Future

It just happened to be where I worked and even though I generally loathe Data East tables it just grew on me.

I don't think Phantom is a guitly pleasure. Its an unforgiving game but easily the only Data East game I can say that I would want to own. Love the audio, the organ ramp was a neat gimmick at the backglass were are very cool.

heberts811
05-25-2012, 01:20 PM
The 90's Gottlieb tables were not as good as Williams offerings, but I love Cactus Jack. It was fun to play with goofy sound effects. I played it at a bowling alley when it came out but would love it for Pinball Arcade.

WilliamPorygon
05-25-2012, 03:57 PM
The discussions about Strikes 'n Spares reminded me of a non-standard game I played a few times in my childhood: SlugFest (http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=3281). I suppose it would get some of the same types of complaints Strikes 'n Spares is getting, but a bat game would be a nice for a change of pace and could make for a good, different 2-player game.

Jeff Strong
05-26-2012, 02:31 PM
The discussions about Strikes 'n Spares reminded me of a non-standard game I played a few times in my childhood: SlugFest (http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=3281). I suppose it would get some of the same types of complaints Strikes 'n Spares is getting, but a bat game would be a nice for a change of pace and could make for a good, different 2-player game.

I love that game, and the older baseball-themed games too.

SpiffyRob
05-28-2012, 05:53 AM
SlugFest was great! But how are they going to make the baseball cards come out of your device? :confused:

DarthVonDoom
06-14-2012, 06:44 AM
Nightmare on Elm Street. Not the greatest table but if you're a Freddy fan just for the design and the music it's awesome. TMNT would also be nice. And Guns N Roses ...because It's Guns N Roses . Nuff said!

Kolchak357
06-14-2012, 08:58 AM
My guilty pleasure table is Evel Knievel. The game itself is nothing special as I recall, but my friends and I played it because we all wanted to be Evel. Haven't seen one in a long time, but would love to play it again. Back in the 70's when I was kid, he was every little boys hero. We used to try to jump over anything we could find on our bicycles. And we we would go to a local coffe shop and stand on a chair (so we could see better) and play EK pinball. What a great memory.

Captain Rumwood
06-15-2012, 06:28 AM
Wanna add Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

DopedToInfinity
06-15-2012, 07:01 AM
the shadow is an excellent table...very unique stuff there going on

I never played The Shadow, but I have fond memories of it :) In Cromer, Norfolk in the 90's I was on holiday with my parents playing The Machine BOP with my dad, and the guy next to us was going fricking nuts playing the shadow! He was effing and blinding, cursing the machine in the kind of language I can't repeat here (F's & C's). It was really funny to watch but I didn't want to get too close to him or show humor in case I became the focus of his tirade.

Now when I think of The Shadow pinball I just think of a guy going mental and cussing out a pinball machine!!!

Sean DonCarlos
06-15-2012, 07:42 AM
I never played The Shadow, but I have fond memories of it :) In Cromer, Norfolk in the 90's I was on holiday with my parents playing The Machine BOP with my dad, and the guy next to us was going fricking nuts playing the shadow! He was effing and blinding, cursing the machine in the kind of language I can't repeat here (F's & C's). It was really funny to watch but I didn't want to get too close to him or show humor in case I became the focus of his tirade.

Now when I think of The Shadow pinball I just think of a guy going mental and cussing out a pinball machine!!!
The Shadow's a pretty tough table; I've been known to bust out some salty language while playing it as well.

Crush3d_Turtle
06-18-2012, 09:02 AM
I have played quite a bit of Cue Ball Wizard and really enjoy that table. I know that people aren't fans of the later Gottlieb/Premier tables, but this one really stands out for me.

Heretic
06-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Please sir

Warlock!

Morelock?

No warlock!

Drunk

PinHead4Life
06-22-2012, 11:06 AM
I saw Phantom of the Opera at an arcade once, but the machine was not functioning at the time. I would have tried it otherwise. Looked like it would be fun to play though.

Baywatch is actually a very fun pin! Obviously the franchise is not the most appealing brand now, but anyone who actually plays the game will almost certainly enjoy it. I too would love to see this one brought to life through TPA.

X-Files is another good choice. Sometimes Stern's art just looks cheap and this is one of those pins that suffers because lesser aesthetics. But it's a decent play. Not as Fun as fun as Baywatch though, IMO.

One that hasn't been mentioned is Stargate. This pin wasn't very user friendly in terms of knowing what to focus on at any given time. The rule set is difficult to learn. The playfield also looks a little crowded. But after putting in some play time on the pin it becomes much more entertaining.

bonch
06-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Future Spa. Pinball's take on exercise and relaxation in the future.

I have to play it. And so do you.

Richard B
06-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Baywatch is indeed fun - the cheesy license shouldn't stop you from enjoying this table. M.S. Frankenstein is also a great one - I love the morbid tone. Not many pinball games end on such a deliciously depressing note (all I love is buried in a shallow grave). Plus, you can choose between the film's soundtrack, and Edgar Winter's Frankenstein. While you may have trouble getting it out of your head when you're done, it's a great song to play pinball to.
X-Files is pretty lame. So much potential, wasted, and it's not just the art that's mediocre in that one.

Stormchild
06-28-2012, 02:48 PM
I have played quite a bit of Cue Ball Wizard and really enjoy that table. I know that people aren't fans of the later Gottlieb/Premier tables, but this one really stands out for me.

I was going to mention this one too. I don't think Cueball Wizard qualifies as "terrible design", though I can see why it's not considered a top-ranking table. Nonetheless, I used to play it all the time, and it's actually pretty fun IMO.

AdambombAdam
06-29-2012, 08:10 AM
The first machine I owned was called Alien Poker. It's a super ugly pinball. I have so many memories of playing it as a kid thouthat I would love to have it on the pinball arcade.

Gail R Schwartz
07-01-2012, 05:15 AM
Baby pacman. It had the maze & a pinball table. Loved that game. Do u think farsight will give us this table? Come on u all have to ask. Please please. Now everybody . Baby pacman. Baby pacman. Please start asking !!!!

WilliamPorygon
07-03-2012, 10:03 AM
I'd love to see Baby Pac-Man too, but given the licensing issues I don't think there's any realistic way it would happen. Does Namco even have the rights to authorize Farsight to make a version of Baby Pac-Man? I understand Bally/Midway turned over the rights to all the Pac-Man games they created to avoid a lawsuit but except for Ms. Pac-Man, Namco has completely ignored them since then. (Even the reasonably well-known Jr. Pac-Man hasn't had any official release since the 80's.)