Sony tells me it's illegal to use jumper cable

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
There are no drives anymore that run at 1.5gb/ps except for the ones Sony gets. MY point is the only way to slow down my Samsung Spinpoint is to use a jumper. Sony said it has nothing to do with soeed. Let's say we got into a heated argument and no solutions or advice was given to me at all. There are hundreds maybe rhousands of posts that say anyting over 1.5 causes I/O errors and indeed it did. It would constantly freeze up on me. I am not spending another $90 bucks for another 1TB drive when I can just use a jumper cable. I am sure plenty of people have done it and in no way does this compromise any protection schemes the PS3 has set up. It's not like I am trying to mod my system to play pirated games...yet they said it's illegal because it's a mod. I told him to stick it. There;s now way the network would know any difference at all. Also this drive has been tested in a high-end PC and it is fine. There is a WD Scorpio Blue that people swear can slow down w/o a cable but I called them and even at Level 2 tech support they didn't know. It doesn't say variable drive speed. So Sony is really useless and the way their servers are and they can't handle a simple store kinfd of worries me about getting a PS4. I dunno anymore...anyone's thoughts would be great! :)

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
strange that its causing i/o ,errors as it should just conform to the bus speed of the mobo

screw what sony says man, dont worry be happy...in a pinbot way;)

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Sorry to say, but those Samsung Spinpoint drives are nothing but trouble.
I bought a 500GB drive back in 2010 because it was very cheap.

I had a loy of skipping on FMV cut scenes in games like Uncharte 2, Ratchet & Clank ACIT, and Rock Band/GH would have slight pauses here and there which is obviously a bad thing and after about 6 months it crashed and I lost tons of stuff. I blamed it on the PS3 firmware or perhaps bad luck with the drive and accepted a replacement drive from Samsung. Same stuff... Skipping and another crash in only 3 weeks! :(

I accepted a 3rd Samsung Spinpoint and this time put it in my laptop instead and gave up and bought a 320GB slim model.

Now a year later I'm sorry to say the Spinpoint in the laptop is clicking like crazy. Needless to say, never again will I touch a Samsung hdd!

Anyway, I started running out of space on the 320GB Sony drive and bought one of these
WD AV-25 1 TB AV Hard Drive: 2.5 Inch, 5400 RPM, SATA II, 16 MB Cache - WD10JUCT
http://amzn.com/B007PFQ23C

I wanted to make sure to stick with the default 5400RPM so not to cause extra heat buildup.
Before putting it into the PS3 I ran a lot of surface reading/writing tests on the hdd and it tested out perfectly.
It's currently running in the PS3 without any issues. I'm very happy with it and I was a big Western
Digital fan to begin with.

In addition I just replaced 3 bad Segate 1.5GB 3.5" (less than 1
Year old!) with 2 WD 3TB Essentials External. All running perfectly 24/7.
They much cooler than the îSeagate in a fanless enclosure too.

Sorry for the bad news on Samsung Spinpoint, but I remember seeing a lot of
People talking about the problems with these.
Good luck!

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts