PS4 Policies Towards Updating Titles?

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Perhaps it's too early, but has Sony announced if they have changed their policies towards updating PSN Store games? The reason a lot of bugs were not fixed is because they have incredibly stupid rules (almost as bad as MS) in which all versions of every table have to be included in downloads, making them prohibitively large files. That's why the "screwball loop" in AFM is still in, and why BK still looks like crap. Downloadable games were relatively new last time, so we can chalk up such decisions to ignorance, but now with mobile apps, who are much more lenient, these draconian policies hurt the users and makers. Will Sony (and MS) learn their lesson this time around?

grashopper

Sep 14, 2012
BK looks like crap because they never touched it on any platform since release. Although they are less noticeable the black smudges are still there on mobile and it's badly scripted everywhere.

I think it was said updates would be easier on 4...don't recall where I read it though.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Perhaps it's too early, but has Sony announced if they have changed their policies towards updating PSN Store games? The reason a lot of bugs were not fixed is because they have incredibly stupid rules (almost as bad as MS) in which all versions of every table have to be included in downloads, making them prohibitively large files. That's why the "screwball loop" in AFM is still in, and why BK still looks like crap. Downloadable games were relatively new last time, so we can chalk up such decisions to ignorance, but now with mobile apps, who are much more lenient, these draconian policies hurt the users and makers. Will Sony (and MS) learn their lesson this time around?

The largest obstacle for FS to update TPA tables is that Sony does not allow patching of DLC for the PS3. So we have gotten patches to the main game but in order for FS to patch a table they would need to add it to the main game.

For the PS4, Sony will not be charging for patches to games. I haven't seen Sony directly answer the patch for DLC question. However, FS could design TPA for the PS4 much like Zen designed their pinball 2 for the PS3 so that they can update tables through the main game and the DLC is just a table unlock feature.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
One nice thing to keep in mind too is that the existing tables should be much less buggy right out of the gate on PS4, as long as Farsight takes the opportunity to polish up more than just the visuals.

But yes, hopefully Farsight has also learned from their PS3 missteps.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I bet Sony will be more reasonable with the patching DLC thing for PS4, plus with larger HDDs and more of a DLC focus, and easier software updates, it might not be an issue anyway.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I bet Sony will be more reasonable with the patching DLC thing for PS4, plus with larger HDDs and more of a DLC focus, and easier software updates, it might not be an issue anyway.

I'm not so convinced. When we say "DLC" what we and Sony all mean is added content rather than a title game. When Sony thinks of added content via DLC I think they are still thinking clothes and accessories for games like Tiger Woods and Little Big Planet and maps for FPS games. TPA's DLC is more like a small game. The ball skins meets the criteria for what Sony is treating as DLC. Until Sony starts treating DLC with the same policies as downloaded games, FS will continue to run into problems as long as they continue to publish the table packs the same way.

MarkItZeroSmoky

May 26, 2013
The largest obstacle for FS to update TPA tables is that Sony does not allow patching of DLC for the PS3. So we have gotten patches to the main game but in order for FS to patch a table they would need to add it to the main game.

For the PS4, Sony will not be charging for patches to games. I haven't seen Sony directly answer the patch for DLC question. However, FS could design TPA for the PS4 much like Zen designed their pinball 2 for the PS3 so that they can update tables through the main game and the DLC is just a table unlock feature.

This is exactly what fs needs to do, and whatever policy sony puts in place for ps4, whether dlc patches are free for devs, or even allowed to be updated, really wont matter.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
This is exactly what fs needs to do, and whatever policy sony puts in place for ps4, whether dlc patches are free for devs, or even allowed to be updated, really wont matter.

I submitted that as a question for Bobby in the new interview questions thread. Hopefully Jeff picks it and it gets a good amount of votes.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
Both Sony and MS are going 'all games available as a DL on their day of release' for the new/next gen. Will they properly take the little distinctions into account, who can say for sure, but Sony has been doing a good job of being user friendly in their policies and PR for PS4, and talking about being reasonable/accommodating when it comes to the demands of users and devs (within reason obviously), so while we won't know for sure for awhile still about how well/smoothly things like table pack DLC updates/patches and etc. will shake out, make no mistake that Sony is thinking large scale about DL games and content for PS4. And hopefully FS are designing the PS4 version to be able to patch a table from a title update, so there is no issue (as I and others have previously stated).

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Both Sony and MS are going 'all games available as a DL on their day of release' for the new/next gen. Will they properly take the little distinctions into account, who can say for sure, but Sony has been doing a good job of being user friendly in their policies and PR for PS4, and talking about being reasonable/accommodating when it comes to the demands of users and devs (within reason obviously), so while we won't know for sure for awhile still about how well/smoothly things like table pack DLC updates/patches and etc. will shake out, make no mistake that Sony is thinking large scale about DL games and content for PS4. And hopefully FS are designing the PS4 version to be able to patch a table from a title update, so there is no issue (as I and others have previously stated).

If Sony was doing a good job being user friendly to devs then FS would be able to patch the current tables on the PS3.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
If Sony was doing a good job being user friendly to devs then FS would be able to patch the current tables on the PS3.

I did write "for PS4" after the part you're focusing on. Why not change the PS3 rules? I wish they would. Will they? Who knows. This is the nature of business, I guess, each major product is it's own world, and they don't necessarily have any contact with the rest of the cosmos.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I did write "for PS4" after the part you're focusing on. Why not change the PS3 rules? I wish they would. Will they? Who knows. This is the nature of business, I guess, each major product is it's own world, and they don't necessarily have any contact with the rest of the cosmos.

But they haven't done anything for the PS4 yet. That we know of. They very well might be planning on operating in a way that positively helps the smaller devs, but all we can go on now is what they are doing now.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts