Your Favorite Pinball Designer?

Your Favorite Pinball Designer?

• Brian Eddy - (Medieval Madness, Attack From Mars, The Shadow)

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Steve Richie - (High Speed, T2, Star Trek NG, AC/DC, Black Knight 2000)

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Pat Lawlor - (Funhouse, Twilight Zone, The Addams Family, Whirlwind)

Votes: 22 55.0%
  • George Gomez - (Monster Bash, Lord of the Rings, Johnny Mnemonic)

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • John Popadiuk - (Cirqus Voltaire, Arabian Nights, Theatre of Magic)

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Dennis Nordman - (White Water, Scared Stiff, Elvira, Dr. Dude)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
Who is your favorite pinball designer?

My apologies if I left off your favorite designer.

At the very least I should have added Dennis Nordman - (White Water, Scared Stiff, Elvira, Dr. Dude)

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Voted JP. But Mark Ritchie (Taxi, Diner, Indiana Jones, Sorcerer, Fish Tales) deserves an honourable mention.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Who is your favorite pinball designer?

My apologies if I left off your favorite designer.

At the very least I should have added Dennis Nordman - (White Water, Scared Stiff, Elvira, Dr. Dude)

Added him for you. :)

Mike

Feb 24, 2012
Too hard to choose. I guess I don't really have a favorite. I would say a tie between Popadiuk and Lawlor. As everyone else said, these are all pretty amazing characters.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
Too hard to choose, though I wish Ted Zale (Fireball, Four Million BC), John Trudeau (Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Silver Slugger, The Machine Bride of Pinbot), Barry Oursler (Pinbot, Bad Cats, Space Shuttle, Cyclone), and Ed Krynski (Royal Flush, Big Brave, Bank Shot), and Wayne Neyens (Queen of Hearts, Square Head, Slick Chick, Sittin' Pretty) were on here too. I think Steve Kordek (Space Mission, Triple Action, Triple Strike) should be on the list too, but I haven't played any of the actual machines of the games he designed.

Last edited:

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
This is actually kind of tough. I'd say that Lawlor is the "best" as far as making a vast number of good games, but Steve Ritchie is responsible for a much greater number of my favorites.

Also, I'd add Barry Oursler, Mark Ritchie, and John Trudeau.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Steve Ritchie all the way. Eddy is great but... not *quite* as good as Ritchie IMO. Lawlor is unreal as well, but leans too much toward a stop-start style of play (IMO!) with ever-so-slightly busy playfields.

So many great designers, but when it comes down to it, if you picked a random table from any of those listed, there's a better chance i'd enjoy one of Ritchie's more.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
As much as I like Medieval Madness and Attack From Mars, I had to go with Ritchie, because he has the depth. In addition to those already mentioned, he also designed the original Black Knight, Firepower, F-14 Tomcat, Rollergames, the Getaway, Indiana Jones (Williams), and No Fear, as well as several recent Stern tables.

FurVid

Feb 20, 2012
Definitely Ritchie - the others made some great tables, but Steve was responsible for almost every important innovation. Shame none of his tables are released yet, or in the next DLC batch, but I guess this is an "Arcade", not a "Hall of Fame". I usually consider Lawlor second based on the large number of awesome tables he did, but I'm knocking him down a notch since after a session of RBION I'm just sick of that style of skill shot where you have to launch the ball really lightly across the center of the table and hope it doesn't go down a side drain if you miss (I know on Ripley's it at least gives it back, but it didn't on WPHOF Whirlwind and No Good Gophers). So Popadiuk is second.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
As much as I like Medieval Madness and Attack From Mars, I had to go with Ritchie, because he has the depth. In addition to those already mentioned, he also designed the original Black Knight, Firepower, F-14 Tomcat, Rollergames, the Getaway, Indiana Jones (Williams), and No Fear, as well as several recent Stern tables.

Indy was his brother, Mark Ritchie. He also did Taxi, Diner, Fish Tales, Sorcerer, Big Guns, and a handful of other Williams games, as well as Kingpin for Capcom.

Daniel Osborne

Feb 28, 2012
I voted jpop. Love totan and tom, only two flippers too, so i prefer not to have to concentrate too much on the upper play area during multiball! Need more tables quickly!

BStarfire

Jan 9, 2013
Rudy Yagov did mention him above, but the recent release of Space Shuttle reminded me of the great Barry Oursler.... the aforementioned Space Shuttle, Space Station, Gorgar, Comet, Cyclone, Pinbot, Bram Stoker's Dracula that all come top of mind, and he has plenty of others.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Almost a coin flip between Ritchie and Lawlor for me. I voted for Lawlor because of my TAF addiction that I have struggled with for years.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts