Kindle Fire HD Cactus Canyon.. What happened here?!?

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
This is by far the worst looking table I've seen so far.
KindleFireHD-CC.png

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Huh, here's what it looks like on Nexus 7:
preview
[LINK]https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9Ybrl5wJADeaTVxMHo5TVJ3REU/preview[/LINK]

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Huh, here's what it looks like on Nexus 7:
preview
[LINK]https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9Ybrl5wJADeaTVxMHo5TVJ3REU/preview[/LINK]

Thanks for the comparison.
Maybe it's a different camera angle?

I was pretty sure the Kindle Fire HD used the same assets as the Android version.

I'm not sure if this is making me want to avoid a Kindle Fire HD or avoid buying TPA for the Kindle Fire HD.

On Amazon they are currently only $169 brand new.
I know the Fire HD is more than capable as Zen Pinball looks amazing on it.

N

netizen

I was pretty sure the Kindle Fire HD used the same assets as the Android version.

It's the same assets but the biggest factor is the GPU hardware in each device coupled with the resolution and PPI being pushed. The GPU and CPU differences combined with the OEM OS abandonment and customization(s) equals Androids largest problem: Fragmentation.

The GPU in the Fire HD is a PowerVR SGX540
You can pull some benchmark comparisons here

There's a lot of different GPUs being compared there, but you'll get an idea of where your device sits in the Android field. The sort of graphics you get are not a reflection of Android as a whole but a mixture of the limitations due to the issues and the device you have.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Thanks for the comparison.
Maybe it's a different camera angle?

I'm not sure if this is making me want to avoid a Kindle Fire HD or avoid buying TPA for the Kindle Fire HD.

On Amazon they are currently only $169 brand new.
I know the Fire HD is more than capable as Zen Pinball looks amazing on it.

Nope, I used cam4, just like you.

I'll admit it, the fact that people here who rave about TPA on the N7 was a big part of the reason I decided to get the N7.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Looks to me like the Kindle Fire HD lacks anisotropic filtering, which is what is needed to sharpen up the graphics that are at a certain distance from the screen. Choose a higher camera setting on Cactus Canyon and most of the distant blurry playfield textures should clear up.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts