Request How to totally uninstall..

mrplant

Jul 17, 2013
ARGH...

I had pinball arcade with all season one tables running just fine on my 2009 iMac..

I altered a graphics setting yesterday - post processing and quickly put it back off again.

Ever since this setting is showing as off. However the lag on the game is unbelievable - talking about a frame or so every second.

I can have it running in a small window but not in full screen or maximised mode - which by the way was not a problem before.

I have not acutally updated the version number - it remains the latest.

I dragged the app to the bin and reinstalled it.

It seems to be picking up the same corrupt settings from somewhere.

How do I totally get rid of all the settings for the game so it starts afresh..

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I'm just guessing, as I don't have the Mac version, but they probably store the settings in ~/Library/Preferences. Look for com.farsight.... and that should be the settings file. Like I said, this is just a guess, but it's based on where other apps store the preferences and how they name them.

mrplant

Jul 17, 2013
Thanks. I found the settings and deleted them and reinstalled. Still the same.
To give you an idea how slow I am talking here - on my 3Ghz 2009 iMac I get a few frames a second.
Anyway if I minimise the windowed box that comes up - I get speed back that lets me go into options. I found if I set anti-alias at x2 and restart that solves the problem partly. The game comes back and I can maximise windowed mode and apart from the odd stutter it plays fine. Full screen mode plays fine but the overall ball speed is too slow due to the anti-aliasing. I have level of detail on 2 normally but put it to 1. Immediate mode makes no difference.
The strange thing is if I set anti alias mode x4 and restart its slower of course but better looking. Logic would dictate that if at this point I reset it to anti aliasing: off and restart it should be at full speed again yes? But no, I get treacle at a few frames a second again. The only workaround I have found is set it to x2 anti aliasing and restart which again is playable but a tad slower than it should be..

Argh....

Anyone?

Tony C

Feb 20, 2012
This is definitely a weird one. Most people don't see much effect from anti-aliasing on their iMacs. I don't take a hit on frame rate for any of the settings on my MBP. I absolutely must run it in true fullscreen mode, though.

You should be able to uninstall the app with no residue or orphan data. Maybe try uninstalling and then restarting before you reinstall.

Jul 2, 2012
The preferences are not stored in ~/Library/Preferences. The only FarSight-related file there is a lockfile, which contains nothing.

I did a bit of digging and on my system, the preferences are found in the following path: ~/Library/Containers/com.farsightstudios.osx.pinballarcade/

When I moved that folder to my desktop and launched TPA, it had reverted to default settings. Hopefully that helps sort things out!

You should be able to uninstall the app with no residue or orphan data. Maybe try uninstalling and then restarting before you reinstall.
It isn't enough to simply remove the application bundle from the Applications folder. Every Mac application leaves behind support files and preferences around the system (some more, others less). They're harmless in essence (they don't slow down the system unlike registry in Windows and they consume very little disk space), but may be tricky to hunt down if one wants to fully uninstall an application and its preferences.

Last edited:

hootowls

Aug 20, 2013
Thanks for posting this - my experience with my early 2009 Mini matches yours. Only been a user for a month. I played with AA for the first time after loading 2.6.1 and found TPA unplayable with the puny graphics on my Mac. Turning AA off seemed to then have no effect but then going to 2x brought it mostly back. I also tried deleting the plist to no avail. It's circumstantial, but it looks like the AA option won't actually turn off once it's turned on, at least via the user controls. Or maybe there's still a hidden, corrupted config file lurking about.

Jay

May 19, 2012
Every Mac application leaves behind support files and preferences around the system (some more, others less).

If you do a lot of uninstalling (trying out programs, for instance), there's a program called AppCleaner that will find all of a program's ancillary files and delete them. Or you could do it manually by entering a keyword (such as "farsight") into Spotlight.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts