Ultimate Challenge Strategy?

inspector42

May 27, 2012
I've been able to get a little more than halfway through the Ultimate Challenge, but then I am inevitably knocked out. I honestly don't see how to get through it.

Anyone here successful? Any strategy ideas? I try to keep my multiball going as long as possible and always target the boxer, but that clearly isn't working for me.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
I finished it the other day... you get an add-a-ball when you defeat a boxer which helps a lot. It seems like there is a bug that uses all your smart punches when it starts, which if you have some saved up can basically take down one boxer right off the bat. If I'm not mistaken, the center post thing stays up the whole time as well so you can rely on that a bit. Other than that, I would say keep the balls under control and nudge, but you already know that. With hitting the boxer that many times, there is definitely some luck involved.

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
I've been unable to even defeat the boxers on 1 life bar. I'm able to keep my smart punches when it starts, but there's no KO available to knock them out.

DJWhoDunnit

Dec 23, 2012
I've been unable to even defeat the boxers on 1 life bar. I'm able to keep my smart punches when it starts, but there's no KO available to knock them out.

sure no knockouts, but it makes it a lot easier if u can buy a few seconds by snatching the last of his life away and get some back for yourself...nudging uses the damn smart punches which sucks, this continuing issue needs resolved, all the modern push button plunge tables suffer from the same problem...AFM, MM, MB, CPub...

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
sure no knockouts, but it makes it a lot easier if u can buy a few seconds by snatching the last of his life away and get some back for yourself...nudging uses the damn smart punches which sucks, this continuing issue needs resolved, all the modern push button plunge tables suffer from the same problem...AFM, MM, MB, CPub...

Yeah, that issue is ancient.

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
Haven't got to ultimate challenge but just played this since last update. Seemed a bit easier with less drains than before. Is the smart punch an issue in UC? I don't have issues with nudging and use of smart punches during regular play.

Pod

Aug 10, 2012
Has anybody completed the Ultimate Challenge yet?

Nope, Waiting for FS to acknowledge/fix the bug where it just stops for no reason. Sean DonCarlos hasn't added it to the master list either (Dunno if its because this table doesnt have a popular forum or if he's just lost interest etc.

Pod

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Sean is very good about keeping them updated. I'm guessing that he is unaware of the bug or just has been too busy to update lately.

pinballchris

Oct 6, 2012
Probably a bug not well known, so little number of people have probably reached the UC to know there is a bug. With the table being somewhat hard in the first place, and adding the other bugs, might be awhile before this table becomes somewhat playable.

Jay

May 19, 2012
I reached it, but I can't recall whether I completed it. I hadn't played the real table and wasn't completely familiar with the rule set, so I didn't know what to expect. All I remember is that it was a pretty insane game. :)

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Aargh!!! This is so hard. I thought I was doing pretty well on it and I only got to the fourth guy. I wasn't getting an add a ball for defeating a boxer like Clawhammer said. Maybe you have to finish them with a smart punch? Also, the post does go down, but I am not sure what triggers it. It could be getting down to the last ball, losing over half of you energy, or it could be timed.

DJWhoDunnit

Dec 23, 2012
Aargh!!! This is so hard. I thought I was doing pretty well on it and I only got to the fourth guy. I wasn't getting an add a ball for defeating a boxer like Clawhammer said. Maybe you have to finish them with a smart punch? Also, the post does go down, but I am not sure what triggers it. It could be getting down to the last ball, losing over half of you energy, or it could be timed.

based on ur health

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Something is messed up. Ultimate Challenge ends after 2 boxers for me with a full life bar.

It's a bug. You aren't supposed to be able to knock out guys in Ultimate Challenge, but sometimes the knock out music prompt plays, and if you knock them out, Ultimate Challenge is over and you won't get a chance to complete it. I think this happened randomly to me too, without the knockout prompt.

Also, the DMD called me Ultimate Champion once and I got awarded the goal after draining, even though I was only on the third or fourth fighter. I think it had something to do with the knock out prompt music glitch. It happened about half way, so I stopped taking shots and was able to resume UC when the knockout timer expired.

So, to some up, Ultimate Challenge mode is all sorts of messed up and I don't know if it can be fixed. It could be a problem with the original ROM.

Troc

May 15, 2013
Omg, i tought that after getting 3M on Genie no table would ve scared me but... this ultimate challenge is a chaos !!! I can get to it relatively easily (1 match every 2 o 3 games), but when it starts, all the times all balls (exept one...lol) drains in few seconds...:mad:

Some questions :
*Can i use smart punches earned in the game during the ultimate challenges ?
*They reset if i use nudge ?
*How many fighter i ve to beat ? Some say 2, some 4, in game instructions say 5...
*I ve read somewhere that u can go on n try to complete the ultimate challenge even with the last ball that remains, but to me, when all balls but one drains ultimate challenge ends ! WTF ??
*Other negative glitches during it i need to know ?
*Other positive (that may help getting the wizard goal) glitches during it i need to know ?

*N finally any advice/help/tactics to complete it ?

Thx

Last edited:

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
Omg, i tought that after getting 3M on Genie no table would ve scared me but... this ultimate challenge is a chaos !!! I can get to it relatively easily (1 match every 2 o 3 games), but when it starts, all the times all balls (exept one...lol) drains in few seconds...:mad:

Some questions :
*Can i use smart punches earned in the game during the ultimate challenges ?
*They reset if i use nudge ?
*How many fighter i ve to beat ? Some say 2, some 4, in game instructions say 5...
*I ve read somewhere that u can go on n try to complete the ultimate challenge even with the last ball that remains, but to me, when all balls but one drains ultimate challenge ends ! WTF ??
*Other negative glitches during it i need to know ?
*Other positive (that may help getting the wizard goal) glitches during it i need to know ?

*N finally any advice/help/tactics to complete it ?

Thx

1. Yes, but not to knock them out. If it any point you here the knockout music, don't hit any more balls or you will experience a horribly annoying bug.
2. It shouldn't unless you tilt
3. It is 5
4. The game shouldn't end. You are probably experiencing something related to the aforementioned "horribly annoying bug." I think what happens is sometimes the Rom forgets that you are in the Ultimate Challenge and just thinks you are in another mode, so it ends it when you lose all balls but one.
5. Like I said before, I got it without actually winning by not hitting balls when the knockout music played. I tried this again and it didn't work. Maybe it is just random.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.