Forum High Scores? (thread, profile linked, tournaments etc.)

szycag

Apr 19, 2012
Would it be possible to have a part of this forum reserved for high scores, so we could compare scores with each other across platforms? I don't know if anyone would feel like maintaining high score threads for each table or not, since it's kind of time consuming (I certainly wouldn't be up to it). If not that, is it possible for the moderators to add fields linked to our profiles to put scores and the platform they were achieved on for each table as they came out, just like there are spots for interests, location etc.?

I suppose we could just have timed forum tournaments focused on one table, maybe for new ones as they go up. Maybe Farsight could even put a small prize on offer for first place?

Just thought I'd throw some ideas out there for the competitive players among us.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Good ideas. I'm interested in seeing something like this too. Let's keep brainstorming on the best way to do it....

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
On VP Forums, there is one member that trawls through posts on a specific thread and updates a spreadsheet that is kept on the original post.

To qualify, it requires a screenshot of the table running the rom and an uploaded copy of the nvram to show that it has not been modified from the table default. It's a lot of work for him and it only get's updated when he has the time.

I think everyone but us XBOX users are all on the facebook leaderboards so you should have most players up there.

szycag

Apr 19, 2012
Looks like we didn't tread much ground here, I guess people are ok with just the leaderboards.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I'll participate in the Sig Highscore Board as well. I'll update my sig as soon as I get home and I'll keep my highscores current.

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
I always thought people with stats in their sigs were using a little program pulling them from somewhere else, like the online leaderboard itself, if that is possible, that is really the best way ... the program grabs your top score, for each table on each platform, then only displays the highest score for a table if you have played that table on different platforms. But if people are just typing it in their sigs, who is know if that is really their score?

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I always thought people with stats in their sigs were using a little program pulling them from somewhere else, like the online leaderboard itself, if that is possible, that is really the best way ... the program grabs your top score, for each table on each platform, then only displays the highest score for a table if you have played that table on different platforms. But if people are just typing it in their sigs, who is know if that is really their score?

I see your point...I may hold of until a better solution presents itself.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, for now it has to based on the honor system.....and since most people have shared their gamertag/id, it's not too hard to double check if there was ever a doubt. Personally, I'll be the first one to admit my scores aren't that great, but it's fun to compare anyway.

Last edited:

RetroBlast

Apr 17, 2012
You know, I would think, with a little work with Farsight by someone with a direct connection to them, it could probably be set up very easily ... We all have a user name here and one for each system or platform that we play the game on ... There will be a section on this site that you can opt to join ... you enter your details, and you become a part of the leadearboard here ... The leadearboard here is like a friends leaderboard, except that we may not be friends on the various platforms or systems we use. Whoever would program that into the database, it would be like giving the names we have on our various platforms or system an alias (our user name on this forum), the information would be extracted from the leaderboard database and transmitted here.

It would work in the same way the leader board does now - when you look at the leaderboard - All time - all the various systems are there, they are just identified as either mobile or not - and that is really all we need ...funny thing is, we have been asking them to separate out the leaderboards to be platform or system specific ... if they ever go in and do that, that would be the perfect time to give US - THE PINBALL ARCADE FAN FORUM - our leaderboard ... even if it not possible to post it live on this forum ... it would be nice to have a THE PINBALL ARCADE FAN leaderboard available through all of our systems just as it is with ALL TIME, and that may be the easier way to go actually ...

Last edited:

c-dub

Feb 28, 2012

Why would anyone lie with high scores as lame as mine? ;)

c-dub

Feb 28, 2012
You know, I would think, with a little work with Farsight by someone with a direct connection to them, it could probably be set up very easily ...

Whilst I don't want to rubbish what sounds like a nice idea, I think you're underestimating how difficult a job that would be. (For comparision, just look at how much trouble FarSight have had with the (much simpler) Facebook-based leaderboards.)

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I had to wait ill I could put some decent time into other tables then TOTAN, but now that I have some decent scores out of TOM and BH I decided to join the sig "movement. I'd put BOP and MM there as well, but I don't play the Ipad that much considering the nudging doesn't work well.

szycag

Apr 19, 2012
Those are some godly scores man.

I improved my Ripley's score a bit recently, but I think I'm dropping score play for now, until the bug and table contrast fixes come.

Scooter

May 3, 2012
Wow those are some great scores, do the scores on the tables show to everyone or just the user?
If they do im the SSS I'm not on Facebook so they don't get posted there any info would help thanksguys

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Wow those are some great scores, do the scores on the tables show to everyone or just the user?
If they do im the SSS I'm not on Facebook so they don't get posted there any info would help thanksguys
If you don't do the Facebook thing, your scores won't show up on the leaderboards. One exception: XBox 360 players have their own leaderboards through XBox Live.

If you're speaking of the high scores shown on the actual DMDs/table high score lists, those do not show up to other users, unless of course one of them is your highest score (but it will show your Facebook name/XBox gamertag on the leaderboards, rather than the initials you entered into the table).

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
Some nice scores being posted! Of the current tables I'm only having difficulties with ToTAN, I find it really difficult to control ball movement.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I have learned to really keep my cool when playing TOTAN. There are a ton of features on the table that make the ball make an unexpected turn and entice you into a flipfest. Don't get yourself lured into this, force yourself to put the ball on a flipper and take a breath. Especially the Lamp is so attractive to shoot to rake up the turns, wishes and lightning score, but more often then not it results into a drain. I now generally take the lampturns as they come, IGNORE the damn lightning lamp untill it gets into the REALLY attractive stages (150k and up) and don't put up the x3 lamp score at early stages unless you are 1/2 shots away from starting multiball with it.

At the start, use wishes for x3 fireball, x3 Tiger loops or Jewels. I tend to only use wishes for jewels when it's one of the harder/riskier ones (Roc, Ali Baba, Flying horse) or when I have a ruby (and even then I sometimes pass on a jewel if I'm on an easy one or almost finished one).

Fireballs are a hazard as well. I try to only shoot for it when the ball is on my left flipper, because shooting with the right can cause a ton of unexpected bounces and during fireball the bottle won't hold the ball with it's magnet. So when on the right flipper, I try to build it up by shooting the ramp untill the divider steers it to my left (or I can bounce/pass it from right to left) before I take a shot often resulting in a 800k shot (hopefully with the x3 modifier).

Another tip when it comes to shooting the lamp if you do want to rack it up a bit faster, is to shoot it when the geniebottle is lighted or multiball is about to start. This way the risk of a bouncing flipfest is lessened due to the magnet giving you a breather.

Also the genie is a damn hazard, really take note of the lampposition when deciding to shoot for him. Only shoot the genie from the right flipper when the "lampposts" are vertical or close to. Otherwise, use the left flipper to shoot the genie, either directly or by banking it of the spot targets above the lamp (the ones you can shoot to spell SESAME).

At multiball, ignore the genie. Focus on the lamp, the genie jackpot almost comes automatically that way. Keep at least 1 ball under control, while you take potshots at the lamp with the other(s). On early multiballs, you can even decide to trap all balls and let the lightning time out, so you can rack up 15 more spins, get another wish and another level (or 2) of lightning. This is ofcourse assuming you didn't get into multiball with a x3 multiplier on the lamp :)

Plus, I nudge like a mofo on that table, trying to avoid the areas that cause those unexpected bounces, or those STDM drains like Tiger loops.

I love TOTAN due to the above strategizing, the fact it lures you into certain pitfalls away from said strategies, a lot of times literally ("come, shoot it again!!") and the risk/reward factor of that damn lamp amd genie.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts