Favorite Non-English TV Shows?

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I've recently fallen in love with a number of non-English TV shows, and figured since we have such an international userbase here, maybe others could make suggestions of TV shows to check out.

My interests are usually with crime dramas, as I find they translate well to an international audience (as opposed to comedies, which can be regional in the humor).

Shows I've enjoyed:
Braquo (France): Bad-ass cops that do whatever it takes to get their man, and protect themselves.
Wallander (Sweden): Detective show
Les Revenants (France): Show about people that come back from the dead and return to their lives.

I have a few others I want to watch when I have the time:
Borgen
Engrenages
Forbrydelsen
Maison Close
Morden
Romanzo Criminale

Anyone else?

N

netizen

I watched Lillyhammer a little while back. It was enjoyable, but IDK if it's something I would go back and watch again.

it's not a TV show but I really enjoyed Night Watch, a Russian film from 2004.

Another Russian film I watched relatively recently was this anti-war piece entitled Come and See. it's pretty brutal and very difficult to sit through as it explores some very uncomfortable ideas.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
La Linea.

I used to watch this when I was a kid. It's actually not any language technically but the credits were in Italian.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
it's not a TV show but I really enjoyed Night Watch, a Russian film from 2004.

I keep meaning to watch this, and Day Watch (the follow up from 2006). There was a third book, but they've never turned it into a movie. I own both the movies on Blu-ray (and have a Russian-speaking wife), yet I just haven't found the time to watch them.

N

netizen

I keep meaning to watch this, and Day Watch (the follow up from 2006). There was a third book, but they've never turned it into a movie. I own both the movies on Blu-ray (and have a Russian-speaking wife), yet I just haven't found the time to watch them.

I didn't know there was a sequel. I have Night Watch as a DVD. This is excellent news. Thx Gord.

I found Night Watch to be the Crowning Jewel of Russian, hell most, Cinema at the time it was released. Quite a few people I know got nightmares from it, which I find sort of odd considering that they sat through zombie, gore, etc. sort of movies with me back in the day. There was just something in the way it was presented that made it such an original story, even though it wasn't original content. You know what I mean?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I liked watching ULTAMITE BANZUKE when it aired on G4 and the original NINJA WARRIOR.
I am a car NUT a friend and I would go to Japan town SF and buy OPTION VIDEO MAGAZINE funny thing is it was dvd not a magazine :p

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
All of mine are old Japanese dubbed shows that I watched as a kid; Ultraman, Speed Racer, Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot, and The Space Giants.

Still watch them on DVD sometimes.

karl

May 10, 2012
Well Gord since you seem to enjoy Scandinavian crime shows, you could check out "Broen" (the Bridge) a Danish/Swedish co-production from 2011 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1733785/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
or maybe "Ørnen" (a older Danish series) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383164/

Both are better than average in my opinion. Not very deep stuff but pretty good anyway

Then there is the Stieg Larsson movies (but I'd recommend reading the books instead)

Last edited:

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Thanks, Karl, I already have those on my list to watch. Good to have those backed up by someone who has seen them. I've started the Varg Veum series of movies as well, and I've enjoyed them so far.

Now I just need time to watch them.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Where are all our foreign friends? Don't you guys watch TV shows? ;)

You have two Danish shows on your list, and I've never watched them. Apart from "Riget", every Danish TV show ever has been absolutely horrible. I guess if you don't understand the language, the terrible acting won't put you off as much.
It's weird, really, considering there have been some pretty good Danish movies over the past twenty years, like Festen, Flickering Lights, and The Art of Crying.

One of my favourite TV shows however, is Berserk. It's Japanese anime, but I don't care what your prejudice about japanimation is - I'm not a blatant fan either, but this show has some of the best storytelling that has ever graced television anywhere. Watch it if you like great stories and characters.

karl

May 10, 2012
Norwegian series is 10 times worse Than Danish series ;)

Talk about bad actors, we got Them all up here in Norway

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts