The New Nexus 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

netizen

Here's the big Ad Campaign Kick off. There be Snapdragons!

silverjaguar7

Sep 26, 2012
1920x1200px resolution, quad core processor, GPU 4x faster than last years model.

Pinball Arcade seriously needs to update their app to support better Android resolutions already... it's a bit embarrassing.

N

netizen

Pushing a bigger resolution isn't always a good thing.

As a Nexus 10 owner I can speak from 1st hand experience on this.
Most of that new GPUs flops will go to pixel fill, and not have much left over, or not as much as one would expect.

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
Any Android device that offers HD quality screens will have issues with fill with this game. I would avoid until someone else verifies.

Ryan, I think you need to place a Gen 2 nexus 7 order, for great justice. See what performance tweaks you can profile on the hardware.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
I can try lol, not sure what else I can find. It was a miracle I found the tweaks last Saturday, but ya never know. And yeah what they said silver, unless you are talking about the 2d ui, I am not sure what you mean. A 3d projection is a 3d projection. Fillrate is a ***** when you would like something to run at 60.

silverjaguar7

Sep 26, 2012
I wouldn't expect HD screens to go away anytime soon. HD support is becoming more of a standard in gaming, something consumers demand when considering a purchase, rather than a nice option. its great to know TPA is looking into this =)

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
I just ordered one from amazon. They have it available on there with saturday delivery, so I'll be able to post some thoughts on TPA performance then.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
I just ordered one from amazon. They have it available on there with saturday delivery, so I'll be able to post some thoughts on TPA performance then.

Looking forward to reading about how you get on.
Hope it's good for you Rob!

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
So do I, ever since I got the orginal nexus 7 its the only platform I play TPA on. Completely abandoned my iPad for it.

eckless

Sep 11, 2012
Playing on a "new" Nexus 7 now - it is pretty cool! Love being able to read the playfield text on a 7"!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
Playing on a "new" Nexus 7 now - it is pretty cool! Love being able to read the playfield text on a 7"!

Awesome!! Any stuttering? And are you using the latest beta build?

deimos256

Jun 4, 2013
This interests me because I currently play on a ipad4 but the hoops I need to jump through for emulators is crazy and would consider switching to a nexus 7 provided pinball arcade works well with it(pretty much the only reason I keep my ipad right now)

eckless

Sep 11, 2012
I am not going to say the experience on the new Nexus 7 is "perfect" (there will always be complaints) but I have had no stuttering. (And now that there is a custom recovery available I can use my old "saved_data" file - woo-hoo!)

It is lighter and easier to hold than the "old" Nexus 7.

Very happy with the purchase. However I will say that the "old" Nexus 7 is still a darned fine machine and unless you have money to throw around it is not a "required" upgrade.

The new Nexus 7 will essentially make my Nexus 10 obsolete.

Eckless

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
Thanks for the review of the N7-2013. I bought my N7-2012 two months ago knowing full well that a new N7 would be coming out 'soon'.

Even though it's now suddenly the 'older' N7, it is still a tremendous tablet, and great for playing TPA.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Even though it's now suddenly the 'older' N7, it is still a tremendous tablet, and great for playing TPA.

Love my N7-2012 too.
No plans to replace it for at least another 12 months.

Hope you guys get the same enjoyment from your next gen N7's.

silverjaguar7

Sep 26, 2012
Mine is in the mail. The screen/resolution is unbelievable - higher PPI than any other tablet on the market, so great that I have decided not to buy anymore TPA packs until the resolution is upgraded - at least to iOS level. There's no reason Android should be treated like a red-headed stepchild just because a handful of users own older budget phones.

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Mine is in the mail. The screen/resolution is unbelievable - higher PPI than any other tablet on the market, so great that I have decided not to buy anymore TPA packs until the resolution is upgraded - at least to iOS level. There's no reason Android should be treated like a red-headed stepchild just because a handful of users own older budget phones.

That isn't the most sensible of arguments, and sadly I don't think you'll be getting any new tables for a while using that resolution towards TPA Android purchase.

Android users have to accept that there is not one standard, but a multitude of devices using the system. The philosophy you are stating much better suits an iOS purchase where there is a clear single level of progression through one type of hardware and compatibility level, which is rewarded by regularly buying the latest hardware.
I think you have chosen the wrong OS.

I personally (pinball wise) prefer fluidity of play to graphical resolution any day.
I'm personally saddened each time an advance leaves a player in a position where they can no longer participate as has happened recently. Yet I appreciate there does have to be a cut off point somewhere, it just doesn't have to be directly behind bleeding edge.

timmyD

Nov 28, 2012
Just ordered a new Nexus 7 32GB today. I had the 2012 Nexus 7 and unfortunately, dropped it and the digitizer shattered... not 2 months after I purchased it. I was lucky to get $70 for it on craigslist :(

That said, I was pleased with the quality of TPA on that device. Having 7" did wonders for gameplay and readability. I can't imagine a higher pixel density being worse...

I have a Note2 with a shattered screen now (I'm a glutton for punishment, but the digitizer works great at least) and the note2 surely beats my old Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 (I use the note2 as a wifi only device, and bought it on craigs with the glass pre-shattered lol)

So, perhaps FS can someday add a detection for tablets and phones with 1920x1080+ screens and apply some kind of playfield resolution enhancement...

I'll let you all know my opinion next week when I finally get the goods. I'm sure, I'm going to be very happy regardless!!! Yippee!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.