Bug Mac Version 2.6.0 Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
This thread is for posting bugs for Mac version 2.6.0 ONLY (new bugs as well as lingering issues that haven't been fixed). If you want to post general feedback or comments, then please use THIS THREAD instead. Anything posted here that is not a bug will be moved or deleted.

When posting a bug, please use the following format:

Device/OS:

Bug Description:

Steps To Reproduce:

Frequency:

Additional Comments:

Please also remember to email any bugs you find to support@pinballarcade.com

Thank you!

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
This one still ticks me off:

Device/OS: i5 iMac/10.8.4

Bug Description: Gorgar white lights—it's pretty much impossible to tell if they're lit (GOR, GAR, the kickout hole)

Steps To Reproduce: play table

Frequency: 100%

Additional Comments: previously reported to support

Jay

May 19, 2012
Even though the introductory screen says there's a free table of the month (in this case, White Water), there's no free table of the month. Ever. In fact, there's no demo for any table on the Mac. That's one reason I buy so few TPA tables for my desktop. If I can't try them out, I'm much less likely to buy them.

Also, there's still the weird bug where I have to log out then log back in to see the Kickstarter table I purchased. Each update erases it from "My Tables."

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
I'll look into the Kickstarter entitlement being lost.

I want to put the trial modes in, but I've been told that Apple refused to approve our app with it in. I think it is worth revisiting, though.

Last edited:

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
This one still ticks me off:

Device/OS: i5 iMac/10.8.4

Bug Description: Gorgar white lights—it's pretty much impossible to tell if they're lit (GOR, GAR, the kickout hole)

Steps To Reproduce: play table

Frequency: 100%

Additional Comments: previously reported to support

Turns out that the source textures were horrid for iOS and Mac. Pale yellow and white...

*changes*

Jay

May 19, 2012
I'll look into the Kickstarter entitlement being lost.

It happens only on my Mac version; the iOS version has been working fine.

I want to put the trial modes in, but I've been told that Apple refused to approve our app with it in.

That's so bizarre. If Apple allows it for iOS, you'd think they'd allow it for Mac. *sigh*

Jul 2, 2012
When Apple introduced the Mac App Store, they stated they would not allow trials, demos or beta software in the Store. I have no insider information, but I think this is because developers are free to distribute demos and betas outside the App Store, unlike on iOS where the App Store is the sole means of installing applications on the device.

Jay

May 19, 2012
developers are free to distribute demos and betas outside the App Store, unlike on iOS where the App Store is the sole means of installing applications

In that case, it seems to be even more arbitrary a decision. Perhaps it has to do with Apple's "gatekeeper" feature to try to block malicious apps. But it seems that if the system works on iOS, it should also work fine on a Mac.

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
In that case, it seems to be even more arbitrary a decision. Perhaps it has to do with Apple's "gatekeeper" feature to try to block malicious apps. But it seems that if the system works on iOS, it should also work fine on a Mac.

The gatekeeper function is simply a security setting to allow a choice of:

1. only app store apps
2. app store apps and apps from verified developers
3. all apps

Apple simply wants a different user experience in the Mac App Store vs. the iTunes App Store. Users are not restricted, since they can install from outside of the app store. Developers are restricted only in the sense that they have to provide their own servers and code for demo vs. full app.

For example, FS could choose to offer Mac users demos outside of the Mac App Store. These would run in a separate "demo" app. A simple icon banner would let you know which was which. If you wound up buying the table then you would just be playing it in the other app.

Here's the developer page at Apple:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/AppDistributionGuide/DistributingApplicationsOutside/DistributingApplicationsOutside.html

Last edited:

Tony C

Feb 20, 2012
Seems to me, if FS was going to go to that trouble, couldn't they also work out a way to distribute to xbox 360 customers via their own server? Assuming they could do that, wouldn't they work on that already established source of revenue before they would work on distributing a free trial mode for Mac users? I, for one, would much rather see them polish the Mac version that we have now than spend any resources on providing a feature that doesn't add value to the package.

MagnumXL

Apr 23, 2013
Turns out that the source textures were horrid for iOS and Mac. Pale yellow and white...

*changes*

I've mentioned this in past reports (including feedback to your company itself), but I never got a response. I bought the Twilight Zone "Powerball" extra ball image (that should be available on all tables), but it never shows up in the extras menu for any of the tables as an available image. Also, in the Twilight Zone table itself, if you use the default "silver" ball image, the Powerball itself shows up as a silver ball like all the rest, but if you use ANY other image for the ball, then it shows up properly as a white ceramic ball image. This is kind of a let down since the silver ball looks the most like a real pinball, but I'd still want the powerball to show up as a white ball like it should. This bug has been present since I first bought the game like 6 months ago. It'd be nice if there were a "quit" button on the main title screen. The only way I know to quit in full screen mode is COMMAND-Q on the keyboard. There is no way to access the full screen command menu (i.e. it'd be nice if it used the standard Mountain Lion full screen mode for that matter).

Is there any plan to make the tables in the Mac version have the darker room "lit" look like some of the other versions have? It's a shame to have most of the tables look like there being played in a very brightly lit room. With post processing turned ON and my gamma settings on my monitor altered to force things darker overall, many of the tables already have a nice dark/lit look so I would imagine most could just be altered for their gamma in the table itself to achieve the look.

Another bug is that some of the tables have odd light issues where the "lit" version of particular bulbs has darker edges than the "unlit" version on the table and this creates a fake animation look to it all (since in real life the lit lens would always be brighter than every point on the unlit lens). I ran into similar issues with Visual Pinball when I used to make recreated tables if I wasn't careful about the playfield image versus the images used for actual lighting (i.e. When the lit lights were made from a darker image than actually got used in the playfield on the screen, it would cause issues; I imagine something similar is happening here). This is especially noticeable on Twilight Zone with "The Camera" and "Extra Ball" lenses (the "off" lenses are flat grey while the lit versions are bright tan in the center but darker around the edges than the "off" state is and thus creates a "flip animation" effect rather than appearing as though the lights are actually being lit up). The lights around the "door" for the various modes have a similar issue since they are red in off and lit orange in on but the lighting is not consistently brighter around the edges and so it looks like a flip effect as well. There's some similar but less extreme bulb issues on Cactus Canyon.

In Cirqus Voltaire, the NEON tube light doesn't work if "Post Processing" is turned ON. It does work if it's turned OFF.

Oenta

Jul 10, 2012
480M on champion pub.... yep thats a top 15 world score... do you want to publish on facebook... accidentally clicked "yes".... black screen... TPA dead... bye bye big score.... sigh... ty farsight. Please fix the facebook bug

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
I've mentioned this in past reports (including feedback to your company itself), but I never got a response. I bought the Twilight Zone "Powerball" extra ball image (that should be available on all tables), but it never shows up in the extras menu for any of the tables as an available image. Also, in the Twilight Zone table itself, if you use the default "silver" ball image, the Powerball itself shows up as a silver ball like all the rest, but if you use ANY other image for the ball, then it shows up properly as a white ceramic ball image. This is kind of a let down since the silver ball looks the most like a real pinball, but I'd still want the powerball to show up as a white ball like it should. This bug has been present since I first bought the game like 6 months ago. It'd be nice if there were a "quit" button on the main title screen. The only way I know to quit in full screen mode is COMMAND-Q on the keyboard. There is no way to access the full screen command menu (i.e. it'd be nice if it used the standard Mountain Lion full screen mode for that matter).

Is there any plan to make the tables in the Mac version have the darker room "lit" look like some of the other versions have? It's a shame to have most of the tables look like there being played in a very brightly lit room. With post processing turned ON and my gamma settings on my monitor altered to force things darker overall, many of the tables already have a nice dark/lit look so I would imagine most could just be altered for their gamma in the table itself to achieve the look.

Another bug is that some of the tables have odd light issues where the "lit" version of particular bulbs has darker edges than the "unlit" version on the table and this creates a fake animation look to it all (since in real life the lit lens would always be brighter than every point on the unlit lens). I ran into similar issues with Visual Pinball when I used to make recreated tables if I wasn't careful about the playfield image versus the images used for actual lighting (i.e. When the lit lights were made from a darker image than actually got used in the playfield on the screen, it would cause issues; I imagine something similar is happening here). This is especially noticeable on Twilight Zone with "The Camera" and "Extra Ball" lenses (the "off" lenses are flat grey while the lit versions are bright tan in the center but darker around the edges than the "off" state is and thus creates a "flip animation" effect rather than appearing as though the lights are actually being lit up). The lights around the "door" for the various modes have a similar issue since they are red in off and lit orange in on but the lighting is not consistently brighter around the edges and so it looks like a flip effect as well. There's some similar but less extreme bulb issues on Cactus Canyon.

In Cirqus Voltaire, the NEON tube light doesn't work if "Post Processing" is turned ON. It does work if it's turned OFF.
480M on champion pub.... yep thats a top 15 world score... do you want to publish on facebook... accidentally clicked "yes".... black screen... TPA dead... bye bye big score.... sigh... ty farsight. Please fix the facebook bug

Thanks for the feedback. I've entered/made sure that these are in our bug database.

I added an exit button and a fullscreen/windowed button to the main menu a few weeks back and I've set up free play & table of the month. I'm a little nervous about submission and review. :p

Oenta

Jul 10, 2012
73M on Whirlwind...yep thats a top 30 world score... do you want to publish on facebook... this time I clicked "No"... TPA dead... Closes.. error... bye bye big score.... sigh.... Should i go for for 10.8.4 Mountain Lion??

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
... and I've set up free play & table of the month. I'm a little nervous about submission and review. :p

Apple does not allow demos or trials in the Mac App Store. If they let this through then they have made a mistake with their own developer guidelines. The official solution, as I mentioned above, is a separate demo app which is made available outside of the Mac App Store.

Thanks for all the bug squishing, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.