Just a quick question

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
Why does my phone log me out if it takes me over 10 minutes to type out anything that's worth replying to in great detail? I have tried twice to post a detailed Ripley strategy(I gave that up long ago). I just tried to post my top ten tables in TPA and it timed me out again. What's going wrong here?

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
I don't know the answer to your question, although I used to get "timed out" when writing lengthy posts until I started composing them in Notebooks (great iOS text editor, but whatever stock "notes" app you've got on your phone will work as well), then cutting & pasting them into the forum editing window.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
I guess I should say that I'm on a GalaxyS3. I have no idea what note app I should be using. I am so very unsavvy when it comes to tech stuff.
I never had this problem when posting through my PS3. It would take me a day to do a Ripley strategy on that. Maybe I should buy a computer. (That's not gonna happen)

MarkItZeroSmoky

May 26, 2013
Yeah that happens to me as well. Are you losing what you had typed? Usually if i submit reply & it timed me out before hand, ill just sign back in and it'll just post it (if i had hit submit reply) or it brings me back to the type box. Occaisionally ill lose a sentence or two, but not the whole post.

Edit: i should add that im not using any tapatalk or whatever. And im not sure nor remember how i did it but im also seeing the site in "desktop view" not mobile view. I hate mobile versions on any website, they suck.

Last edited:

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
I usually like to preview my lengthy posts before submitting 'em. That could be the problem. I always lose everything when I get timed out even when I sign in again immediately

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
I also dislike "mobile" website versions and always view their Desktop versions (sometimes seen as "View Full Site" down at the bottom of the mobile version's screen). But I do know that changing to the desktop view doesn't affect the timeout.

One of you Droidy people tell Squid what notes app to use - I wanna see his Ripley's strategy! (even though I saw your videos a while back, Squid - anything change since then?)

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It must be something related to the browser you're using. There shouldn't be anything that signs you out of the site on this end.

MarkItZeroSmoky

May 26, 2013
Well i have a Samsung Note so mine comes with S-note. Not sure if some version of that comes in your s3. You can also find something in any office app installed in your phone, say polaris office for example. And if ya dont wanna deal with all that or dload a seperate app, just go into your email, compose, copy, and paste it into a reply box. ;)

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
As far as a Ripley strategy goes, I have severely tightened up my gameplay. Even the multiball modes. My record for a 1X scoring North America is about 32mil. A 15 minute multiball session.

I will look into this Jota you speak of. I was getting to the point where I felt I should physically write out my posts and just take pictures of them to post here. Nobody can read my chicken scratch though.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
It must be something related to the browser you're using. There shouldn't be anything that signs you out of the site on this end.

That's good to know, Mr. Lacey. Thanks. I was wondering if I was just idling for too long or something.

TomL

Mar 12, 2013
It could be the browser timing out. Or the phone dropped the network connection to save power. Or your cellular network handed you off to a different tower.

One trick is to do a select all, copy of the text you typed in just before hitting submit. This way, if the browser doesn't submit it, you can quickly repost using paste.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It could be the browser timing out. Or the phone dropped the network connection to save power. Or your cellular network handed you off to a different tower.

One trick is to do a select all, copy of the text you typed in just before hitting submit. This way, if the browser doesn't submit it, you can quickly repost using paste.

That's good advice.

Also, while typing a long post, you can hit "Preview Post" every few minutes to make sure it keeps you logged in.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
The simple answers seem to be the best ones. Thanks a bunch guys. I think I know how to handle my situation now. Some trial and error will still be involved though. My apologies for my tech-ignorance.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
There's also an Auto-Save feature built into the forum. If you should lose your post while you're working on it, go back to the Reply text area and at the lower left hand corner, it will say Restore Auto Save. Click on that and it will restore your lost text.

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
Now THAT is cool.

I've often noticed the yellow "Auto-Saved" flashes but never the "Restore Auto-Saved Content" @ lower left.

It works! :)

But you know what? The Restore button overwrites anything you've got in the window - be forewarned!

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Now THAT is cool.

I've often noticed the yellow "Auto-Saved" flashes but never the "Restore Auto-Saved Content" @ lower left.

It works! :)

But you know what? The Restore button overwrites anything you've got in the window - be forewarned!

On a PC, hitting "undo" will bring it back (right click >> Undo).

The iPad's keyboard Undo button won't though.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Squid,

I've had this on several forums on several platforms.

When you sign in, do you make sure that you check the "Keep me logged in" checkbox under your credentials? That helps me at work when i come here and get signed out a lot even on my desktop.

I would suggest getting tapatalk if you don't mind spending the couple bucks for it. It really is a great app for browsing on a mobile.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts