Portrait mode on PC? (Update: Now Available)

zoid

Banned
Aug 6, 2013
Will it be possible to rotate vertically the view like we can do on Pinball FX 2? I plan to buy a monitor that can be rotated for PFX2, and it would be great if I could also use it that way on TBA.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
I think they should try to implement it one table or pack at a time instead of trying to do them all at once. Start at the newest and work their way back, or the original order they were released.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
My thoughts exactly. I will check out the demos but I will not buy any packs until portrait mode is implemented. Then all of them.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
I keep hoping they'll add a user configurable camera. If you've ever use the table exploration mode the interaction is a bit archaic but the top down view looks awesome.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
For cabinet I would settle for just one. Static, make it look and play as much like a real table as they can.

Yea definitely for cabinet we'd only need one view. I'd like it to be configurable for mobile though. I just hope they skew the perspective so we can get portrait view where the toys don't block line of sight for all the shots, like they do in VP and FP.

zoid

Banned
Aug 6, 2013
I think a portrait mode and the rest of the features needed for cabinet mode should be two separate objectives. Around 30% of the players will be able to enjoy a portrait mode, while only 0.01% of them will be able to enjoy a cabinet mode. Pinball for the people first.

Last edited:

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
I think a portrait mode and the rest of the features needed for cabinet mode should be two separate objectives. Around 30% of the players will be able to enjoy a portrait mode, while only 0.01% of them will be able to enjoy a cabinet mode. Pinball for the people first.

The most basic features for a cabinet that would also apply to portrait players on their regular PC would be:

portrait mode (obviously)
plunger support (works the same as analogue would on a joystick)
2 stage flippers (works the same as analogue triggers, I think)

Richer cabinet features like 2 or 3 display support, force feedback (for knockers or ledwiz), animated backglasses, and my personal favorite direct launching of tables; could come later on and cabinet users could still have some good fun.

If they can knock out the 1st 3 features I'm either gonna build a cabinet or run out and get a virtuaPin mini.

Lobotomy

Jul 21, 2013
Maybe offtopic, but if you have a cab, have you checked out the new physics and BAM to future pinball?
Im sooo hooked on it right now, i even dont care about release date for TPA.
In short: new physics rock! And BAM allows FP to track your head movement and moves the camera accordingly. Now you can watch the table "from any angle (almost)", even when you lean over the table you can watch behind the objects.
The depth is incredible!

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
Maybe offtopic, but if you have a cab, have you checked out the new physics and BAM to future pinball?
Im sooo hooked on it right now, i even dont care about release date for TPA.
In short: new physics rock! And BAM allows FP to track your head movement and moves the camera accordingly. Now you can watch the table "from any angle (almost)", even when you lean over the table you can watch behind the objects.
The depth is incredible!

Here's a thread about it:
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/4266-BAM-for-Future-Pinball-3D-effect-with-2D-equipment

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Wow. That is sweet. Going to have to try and hook that up on the cabinet. Wonder how hard it would be to implement something like that in TPA. That would be incredible. They said they wanted to have 3D support, something like this might even be better. Thanks, wasn't aware of BAM.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
The question remaining is where do we get these tables optimized for physics 2.5 in FP.

I tried the version of Big Bang Bar, no it's not perfect, but compared to the last time i played FP, it's amazing.

I'd like to try some of the other tables as well.
I'm not very good with the editor, but it was funny, I was "modding" the copy of 8BD that i had and it was playing really fast and mean. But something was just...off. I had some settings dead on (increased angle and flipper strength) but the angles still feel really weird at times.

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
It sure looks nice on PC. Can't wait for portrait mode.

Does it work with the plunger and flipper buttons on your virtuapin mini? I'm thinking of getting a PinballWizard controller from the same company and I wanna make sure it works before I spend the money.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.