OS Version: Windows 7
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660 Ti
Ram: 8GB
Version #(Bottom right of game screen):
Display Mode: Windowed or Fullscreen
Display Resolution: Tested at 720p windowed, 1080p fullscreen

Frequency of Occurrence: Constant

Expected Result: Game to run at normal speed regardless of framerate
Actual Result: Game runs incredibly fast at 120 frames per second, totally unplayable.

Comment: Simply put, I use a Benq xl2420t running at 120Hz and the game runs too fast.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
It sounds like the game is locked to the 60hz refresh rate to use for timing, so when it uses 120hz refresh rate, it runs at 2x speed. I've seen this happen on some console->PC ports. Outrun 2006: Coast To Coast would run over fast when I ran it on an 85hz CRT for example.

MrBS

Aug 13, 2013
I had this issue too on my 120hz monitor. Using nvidia inspector to lock FPS at 60 fixed the problem.

Mega

Feb 28, 2012
Physics - All Tables - Ball Moves Twice Normal Speed

OS Version: Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit (SP1)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Ram: 16GB
Version: v0.007
Display Mode: Full Screen
Display Resolution: 1920x1080
Frequency of Occurrence: 100% of the time

Expected Result: Ball should move at "normal" speed.

Actual Result: Ball moves at double speed.

Comment: I know what is going on. I have a 120Hz Monitor: Acer HN274H, and I have Windows running at true
120Hz. When the game is played, I can see the frame rate in the lower left corner and it flickers between 119 and 120
while playing. I temporarily changed my display settings in windows to 60Hz and the game played at normal speed. So
the two ways to fix the game are to either lock the display at 60 FPS or to support 120 FPS. Please please please
support 120Hz. On a game like this with the pinball moving very fast, 120 FPS is BEAUTIFUL!! In fact if my reflexes
were better, I'd actually prefer playing at double-speed over 60 FPS. HAHA So please take this opportunity while
still in beta to support up to 120 FPS.

PALADiN

Aug 14, 2013
As a further note, I've noticed that the FPS counter runs into the thousands. That may be causing issues.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Sara

Jul 20, 2013
Performance: Game runs at incorrect speed on less common monitor settings

Title Bug: Performance: Game runs at incorrect speed on less common monitor settings
OS Version: Windows XP
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT
Ram: 2GB
Version #: Can't see due to screen cutoff...
Display Mode: Windowed
Display Resolution: Any

Frequency of Occurrence: 100% of the time

Expected Result: Game logic runs at normal speed on any FPS
Actual Result: Game logic runs too fast when FPS is higher than 60

Comment: This happens when refresh rate is set above 60Hz, probably because the game is using vsync entirely to control its framerate. This results in the game running way too fast when the monitor's refresh rate is above 60Hz, as is often required for comfort on CRT displays, and is a fact of life for some 120Hz LCDs/Plasmas. Disabling vsync just makes the game run at out-of-control maximum speed...

Edit: Noticed this is reported in the other forum too. It's confusing where we should put reports...

I'm an experienced game programmer myself with Steam experience. If there's anything I can do to help you guys, just say the word.

Last edited:

Mega

Feb 28, 2012
Oops, I filed a separate thread on this same topic. So feel free to merge mine... anyway +1 for people with 120Hz fast-ball issue.

I REALLY hope 120Hz is support properly and the fix is not locking to 60 FPS. The ball movement looks FANTASTIC at 120 FPS. I'm just not fast enough to play it like that (though I did get to enter my initials on ST:TNG running at 120 FPS). LOL

PALADiN

Aug 14, 2013
It actually looks like the game is expecting VSync to be on at all times. Given that the insane speeds are showing up for me on a 60Hz monitor, it would seem to be the most plausible theory.

Mega

Feb 28, 2012
For those with this issue and Nvidia... here is the fix without having to change your desktop refresh rate:

1. Go to the Nvidia Control Panel
  2. Then add PinballArcade.exe to the "Program Settings" under "Manage 3D settings".
    The game can be found here or similar:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\PinballArcade\PinballArcade.exe
  3. Then set "Vertical sync" to "Adaptive (half refresh rate)"

I have a screenshot but I don't see a forum option to attach it (and I'm too lazy to host it elsewhere)... but if anyone needs it let me know.

mystman12

Apr 21, 2013
This seems related and I thought I would mention it. On my PC, with post processing on, my frame rate is lower than 60 fps, and the game plays in slow motion, instead of just having a slow frame rate. The physics, the ROM, the controls, it's slow motion.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
This seems related and I thought I would mention it. On my PC, with post processing on, my frame rate is lower than 60 fps, and the game plays in slow motion, instead of just having a slow frame rate. The physics, the ROM, the controls, it's slow motion.

What are your specs?

PALADiN

Aug 14, 2013
I've made a further discovery in my case. If I set the game to windowed mode (tested on 1280x720 windowed), the game doesn't run too fast. When I was at 1920x1080 fullscreen, the problem started.

EDIT: I think I may have spotted the root cause of speed issues. The game seems to be heavily reliant on the FPS that shows up in the FPS counter at the bottom corner. If it's low, the game will run slower and vice versa.

EDIT 2: Further developments. It doesn't appear to matter what resolution is used in my case. If i set it to fullscreen (tested on both 1280x720 and 1920x1080), the framerate will go really high and the game will be unplayable as it's too fast. Windowed mode seems to resolve the issue for me no matter what resolution I use (tested on 1920x1080, 1680x1050 and 1600x900 in addition to 1280x720).

Last edited:

Mega

Feb 28, 2012
I've made a further discovery in my case. If I set the game to windowed mode (tested on 1280x720 windowed), the game doesn't run too fast. When I was at 1920x1080 fullscreen, the problem started.

EDIT: I think I may have spotted the root cause of speed issues. The game seems to be heavily reliant on the FPS that shows up in the FPS counter at the bottom corner. If it's low, the game will run slower and vice versa.

EDIT 2: Further developments. It doesn't appear to matter what resolution is used in my case. If i set it to fullscreen (tested on both 1280x720 and 1920x1080), the framerate will go really high and the game will be unplayable as it's too fast. Windowed mode seems to resolve the issue for me no matter what resolution I use (tested on 1920x1080, 1680x1050 and 1600x900 in addition to 1280x720).
If you have 60 Hz monitor then enable vsync in the game and it should be resolved. If you have a 120hz monitor then do what I did. Both settings are found in the same place if you read my earlier post.

Sloopy_DE

Mar 15, 2012
Same problem as Klades has...

Ati Radeon 7850 with 120 Hz monitor... game is way too fast, fullscreen or windowed makes no difference.

The only to get it running normal is to switch refresh rate to 60 Hz in windows... but that, I don't want to do.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
Preformance issues with 120Hz monitors doesn't bode well. NVidea's eclyptic 3D goggles demand 120Hz.

Members online

Members online