Observations / Thoughts

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
Some things I have noticed that may not have been mentioned, let me know if anyone else experiences this or if there is a solution for any of my observations:

1. Login to Facebook does nothing.

2. D Pad is used for the navigation and not the left stick. Is this a current/future option?

3. Sound quality on the older tables sounds pretty muddy and flat. The newer tables sound better but kind of tinny. I have a SB X-Fi and Altec Lansing speakers with Sub.

4. Mouse pointer stays on screen when playing with the controller.

As others have reported, TPA crashes when backing out of games sometimes. It's happened to me on BOP, Centaur and Dr. Dude thus far (I've only played AFM down to DRD at this point). I had the game initially start mostly off the screen (1366x768) in Windowed mode, but it stayed at FS @ 1920x1080 after setting it.

Minor gripes, but I am liking what I see for the most part.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Here's my initial observations...

1. My God, it's so pink! I normally play on the PS3, and it's no where near this bad in the pink department.

2. Oh, so THAT'S what Black Knight was supposed to look like! I'm guessing this is the 360 build of the game more so than the PS3. No big black blotches on BK. For that matter, Taxi isn't washed out and Genie isn't lit by a nuclear bomb.

3. Of the emulated tables (Firepower, Gorgar, Genie) I loaded up, none displayed the score while playing. No HUD at all.

4. I've very much used to the PS3 controller. I'm using a 360 controller on the PC. This is screwing me up! I like using shoulder buttons, not triggers, so I set the controls to do so. Problem is, the way I hold the controller then, it's a VERY long stretch to hit the left analogue stick to nudge. Gonna have to see if I can set the D pad for that instead, but I'm not gonna like that either.

5. Everything PinFreak68 said.

Mega

Feb 28, 2012
Good things:
  • I like that you can remap all sorts of stuff including the keys to navigate the menu.
  • It looks amazing and plays so smooth. (too smooth in my case, I filed a bug report for 120Hz)
Bad things and minor bugs not worth filing a whole bug report on:
  • I noticed the "Arabian Nights" title was on the Pro Menu on ST:TNG.
  • I noticed the mapped "back" button would not exit the Pro Menu on ST:TNG, I had to use the mouse.
  • I would prefer the mouse be able to click on the words in the menu, not just the triangle thingies on the left.
  • Mouse cursor needs to disappear while playing, and re-appear while in the menu.

Sorry my bad list is longer... the game is fantastic and I'm really excited to have it on PC. But I'm not writing a review, just a list of helpful things for the devs. :D

stevezodiac

Aug 14, 2013
I hope it's possible to implement vibration feedback on controllers, also I play on a tv at 1360 x768 native resolution, would this resolution in the game settings improve the graphics of the tables? I have it set to 1920 x 1080 at the moment, which gives me the best experience.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
I know its only a beta but am really disappointed in the lack of sharpness to the tables and no super high res textures used, this whilst using a res of 2560x1440.....it still look kind of blurry

Mega

Feb 28, 2012
Adding more impressions:

Good:
  • I didn't realize how much the other platforms were hurting my skills. On iPhone the screen is just too small to see whats going on sometimes, so I lose balls because I can't see them well. On Xbox/PS3 I think there is some latency because of wireless controllers and HDMI processing, etc. So I have been assuming my reflexes are not what they used to be. But on PC I am nailing shots all the time. Having a hard-wired keyboard connected to a high-performance gaming computer has made a HUGE difference in how high I score. The PC version is SOOOOO much more fun than any other.
  • Load times are so fast. Very nice.
Bad:
  • We have a choice of post processing with awesome lights, but no anti-aliasing (jaggies) or no fancy lights but smooth lines. I want both. As someone mentioned above, high-rez assets would somewhat fix this. When you sit close to a 27" you really start to see the limits of the in-game assets.
  • Hurray the 120Hz issue is fixed, but please fix it better. We are now locked at 60 FPS, and 120 FPS would make this game look/play sooooo much better. I elaborated this point in the "Game runs too fast" thread.
  • I can't use the flippers to enter initials on tables that don't have a high-score system build-in.
  • This was not in the v0.007 version, but on v0.009 there is a blackout of the screen when scrolling between tables. So you either have to scroll REALLY fast before the blackout, or REALLY slow waiting for the blackout. I like that the background changes, but it needs to not go black in between so we can scroll at whatever speed we want and then only load the new background when we stop scrolling.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.