Post Processing - low res and an issue with HUD

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Hi,

Very impressed thus far, for me since I set it to full screen and as long as I don't click on the second monitor, everything seems very stable. Very happy camper here :)

There are two issues I've come across with the post processing option

Title Bug: Low resolution when using post processing = ON
OS Version: Windows 7 64bit
Graphics Card: ATI 5850
Ram: 8GB
Version #0.07
Display Mode: “Full Screen”
Display Resolution: “1920X1080”

Frequency of Occurrence: “100% of the time” (so far...)

Expected Result: I expect better light show, but same resolution ;)
Actual Result: Very low resolution, jaggies everywhere, very noticeable on the flippers

Comment: If set to "on", the light show is quite outstanding, however everything looks very low resolution with lots of jaggies everywhere. Feels like I'm playing at 640 x 480. Turning off the post processing provides a much sharper picture, looks fantastic but definitely missing on the better light effects of the PP turned on.

Title Bug: HUD not appearing when Post Processing = OFF
Graphics Card: ATI 5850
Ram: 8GB
Version #0.07

Expected Result: HUD should appear with Post Processing = ON or OFF, HUD should appear/disappear when pressing the H key
Actual Result: HUD appears only with Post Processing = ON, HUD does not appear when pressing the H key

Comment: I don't know if this is a bug on just my rig but if I turn post processing on, I get the HUD. If I turn it off, I cannot see the HUD, therefore can't see my score. I've tried pressing "H" to no avail, won't pop up during the game.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Chalk me up as another noticing the jaggies with Post Processing ON. I haven't tried turning it OFF yet.

The loafer

Oct 28, 2012
Looks fantastic when you do, but missing the explosive lights. Let me know if when you turn off PP, if your HUD disappears too

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Post Processing Bug

Title Bug: Post Processing Bug
OS Version: Windows 8 Pro
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 460
Ram: 4GB
Version #: .007
Display Mode: Full Screen and Windowed
Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Frequency of Occurrence: 100% of the time

Expected Result: To be able to see the score, angle view display, and goal achievements with post processing turned off.
Actual Result: On non emulated tables, score completely disappears. On every table, the angle view icons cannot be seen nor do table goal achievement notifications. Upon turning back on post processing, the score display on emulated tables is partly missing, as is the angle view icon. Goal notification is cut off at bottom.

Comments: I personally do not care for the look given by the post processing. Look at AFM with it off...

946374_552120488158140_609875314_n.jpg

While there does not appear to be any GI lighting, at least it doesn't look like this...

1174603_552120478158141_1091207682_n.jpg

I swear it looks like there should be some steaks and hot dogs grilling on that thing! On Cactus Canyon, the yellow drop targets blaze like the sun, and colors are just way too intense. The only positive with post processing is that the ball gives off reflections, where without it looks like a dull hunk of steal.

Now the bigger issue is what happens on BH, Firepower, Genie, and Gorgar. These are the tables I've confirmed so far. Without post turned on, no scoring HUD.

1000934_552120468158142_600739533_n.jpg

Now when I turn post processing back on, I get partials of the scoring and other notifications.

969297_552120548158134_1582278136_n.jpg

The result of all this is, if I want to see scores, angle view icons, and goal notifications, I have to have post processing turned on, even though I don't care for the look. I also need to make sure that post was on before loading the table, overlay graphics will only partially be there.

specimn

Aug 14, 2013
I have the same problem with this computer:

Graphics Card: ATI 5700 series (don't know the exact model), 1gb VRAM, Catalyst 13.1
Ram: 6GB
Version #0.07
Display Mode: Full Screen and windowed
Display Resolution: 1650x1050
Frequency of Occurrence: Everytime

Looks good when disabling PP (don't have anything to say about the HUD when PP is on or off).

Seems to be a bug related to AMD cards (especially 5XXX ones ?). I'll try later with a second computer with an AMD 6950 graphic card.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
Thanks for the tip, turning post-processing off has really improved the graphics quality for some reason.

Also, I saw HUD when playing FunHouse, can anyone confirm if they can see it on there too?

specimn

Aug 14, 2013
Thanks for the tip, turning post-processing off has really improved the graphics quality for some reason.

Also, I saw HUD when playing FunHouse, can anyone confirm if they can see it on there too?

I have also the HUD when playing FunHouse, but when playing few EM pinballs (I don't have played all pinballs yet) like Genie or Gorgar, I don't have HUD at all.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
Strangely, those tables seem to be the only ones that don't show the HUD. I quickly tried each table to see if HUDs show up and here's a list of games that show HUD with post-processing off.

Attack from Mars
Bride of Pinbot
Cactus Canyon
Centaur
Champions Pub
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Dr. Dude
Elvira and the Party Monsters
Funhouse
Harley Davidson
Medieval Madness
Monster Bash
Pin*bot
Ripley's Believe It Or Not
Scared Stiff
Space Shuttle
Star Trek: TNG
Tales of the Arabian Nights
TAXI
Theatre of Magic
Twilight Zone
Whirlwind

Any other table had problems with HUD.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I have the same problem with post-processing. Also, I had HUD on Funhouse, but not on Firepower.

Graphics Card: ATI 5850+5970
Ram: 16GB
Version #0.07

FatCat1276

Jul 27, 2012
Same issues with post-processing turned on. Windows 7 64bit, AMD Radeon HD 6700, 8 GB RAM, 1920x1080 windowed.

I can't test fullscreen/other resolutions because nothing saves on exit. If I change to fullscreen or any other options, they all revert back to default the next time the game is launched.

lettuce

Mar 17, 2012
Ah i was wondering why i couldn't select 2560x1440 as my resolution, the highest i could select was 1920x1200 and noticed the lack of AA straight away. So disabling PP cures all this?

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
Glad some one figured this out. When I first tried TPA I was a little taken back at how unpolished it looked.

specimn

Aug 14, 2013
Ok, same problem with another computer, also an AMD graphic card (6950 + catalyst 13.4).

Graphics Card: ATI 6950 with catalyst 13.4
Ram: 12GB
Version #0.07
Display Mode: “Full Screen” & "windowed"

Ric-82

Aug 14, 2013
I have the same issue

OS Version: Windows 8 64bit
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce GT 220
Ram: 4GB
Version #0.07
Display Mode: “Full Screen” & "windowed"
Display Resolution: “1280X800”
Frequency of Occurrence: Everytime
Comment: my default display resolution is 1366X768 but it is not supported by the game; I set the game to work with a resoultion of 1280X800 but if I set "Post processing=ON" I see textures with a very low resolution and the physics are some how slowed. If I set "Post processing=OFF" I see sharp graphics but the physics are too speeded up.
Curious thing is that if I play with a display resolution of 1600X900 with the "Post processing=on", I can see sharp graphics and lights effects but the physics are some how a little bit slower than normal. If I set it off, I can play just fine with that resolution.

Last edited:

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Well, that last post puts it to bed that it might've been an ATI/AMD-only thing. I assume that they'll get the post-proc filter working properly soon, although I think I prefer to play with it off and use a SweetFX filter to mute the colours and make the a bit more realistic.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Looks fantastic when you do, but missing the explosive lights. Let me know if when you turn off PP, if your HUD disappears too

Yes, HUD disappears on some tables, but not others. Much less jaggies with post processing off though.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Yes, HUD disappears on some tables, but not others. Much less jaggies with post processing off though.

I tell ya, the HUD only disappears on the non emulated tables with digital scores...Genie, Black Hole, Gorgar, Firepower. I haven't checked to see if it goes away on Big Shots or Central Park

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts