Graphics card recommendations?

RevengeFan

Jun 26, 2013
I have a Gateway computer and it's a Windows 7 64 bit system with a 3GHz processor and 8 GB of RAM. Unfortunately, it has an integrated graphics card that is subpar to say the least.:p
I don't play games on it so I never had the urge to upgrade it. So, now when I play Pinball Arcade everything runs fine until I try to turn on post processing then everything goes into slow motion. I haven't upgraded a computer in many years, so I'm not familiar with what's out there anymore. I was just wondering what would be the best graphics card to get. What do you recommend?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Are you sure the motherboard has a PCI-E slot? Some PCs with integrated graphics don't have one, and today's video cards take up a lot space, so check to see if you have the extra room in general. Also, make sure your PSU is sufficient. It's often the case that pre-built PCs aren't designed with upgrades in mind.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
According to specifications that I could find it supports "Discrete card support for high-end NVIDIA® GeForce® and AMD Radeon™ graphics cards (2)" with the following information "(2).Specifications vary depending on model."
The PSU seems to be either a 300w or a 500w. If it is a 300w you have a very limited (if any) upgrade options without first replacing the PSU.

http://support.gateway.com/s/desktop/2011/gateway/dx/dx4860/DX4860sp2.shtml

RevengeFan

Jun 26, 2013
OK, I'll look into getting the power supply replaced. If I get it replaced, what video card would you then recommend?

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
Depends on what kind of money you want to spend... NVidia GTX 650 or Radeon 7770 are around 100 bucks each and are quite capable. Be warned that you will need around a 450w Power Supply for these. If you can spend more on a video card, then the 650ti or 660 are great cards as is the Radeon 7850. I have a GTX 670 (sub $300 card) and it runs everything I throw at it, but it needs a 500w power supply and the card is LONG (probably wont fit in most name brand PC's). Hope this helps.....

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
That being said....make sure you measure the space available. A lot of the higher end cards are pretty long and may not fit in your case.

RevengeFan

Jun 26, 2013
ok, thank you for your suggestions! And a big thank you for bringing up the power supply issue, I wouldn't have thought of that!

bossyman15

Feb 28, 2012
be sure not to get no name brand power supply. get power supply from known brand such as Antec, OCZ, Coolmaster, etc. Check Newegg for reviews on power supplies.

EDIT: I found the video card (Nvidia 650 like Pinfreak suggested) and it is very short card and should have no problem putting it in your PC case.
http://tinyurl.com/mxgxc3j

Last edited:

bossyman15

Feb 28, 2012
be sure not to get no name brand power supply. get power supply from known brand such as Antec, OCZ, Coolmaster, etc. Check Newegg for reviews on power supplies.

EDIT: I found a video card (Nvidia 650 like PinFreak suggested) and it is very short card and should have no problem fit in your PC case.
http://tinyurl.com/mxgxc3j

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts