Request Table mods as unlocks

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I would like to see table mods as unlocks in the future like being able to unlock the tiger saw animation in Theatre of Magic or unlocking the filled gumball machine in Twilight Zone. It would add a little something special to the game and of course you would be able to turn mods on/off in the table's menu.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I asked about Tiger Saw animation and other after market mods. The reply I got was that they are bound to keep the integrity of the original tables. They stated that mods could be available down the road but it has to clear approval from the company that holds the license to the actual table. Certain mods would be easier like LED lighting or changing bands on kickers. Others would be possible because they represent the original intent of the table but were never implemented due to one reason or another. Examples of that would be the tiger saw or the sinking building in Earthshaker. Others would be very unlikely since they are mods done by people that came up with the idea that are not affiliated with the designer/publisher. I would most love to see software options, especially for unreleased ROMs like Cactus Canyon.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
I would have no problem with mods being restricted to the original game designer's intentions. It would give us a chance to play tables the way the designer originally intended. Also, I would like night versions of all tables unlockable as well.

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
I would have no problem with mods being restricted to the original game designer's intentions. It would give us a chance to play tables the way the designer originally intended. Also, I would like night versions of all tables unlockable as well.

Night modes a MUST :D:D

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Just occurred that dip switch settings would be great. That is in every arcade emulation compilation and would be great for this as well.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Access to dip switches and/or service menu has been discussed by FarSight, but nothing has been confirmed.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012

How much darker can they make the tables, at least on the PS3? With my setup, you can barely see the ball on darker tables like Black Hole.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
How much darker can they make the tables, at least on the PS3? With my setup, you can barely see the ball on darker tables like Black Hole.

You do realize that I posted that comment well before The Pinball Arcade was available on PS3/PS Vita, correct?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Boy, this thread was really brought back from the dead. I still like Pin Wiz's first post the best. It would be great to have unlockable or purchasable mods. I really hate seeing that empty gumball machine.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I'm all for stuff like a moving Tiger Saw, because that was intended to be in there but was cut from production Theatres as a cost-saving measure. It's even programmed into the rom.

I am not, however, for adding a bunch of gawdy toys and things to the tables, or adding LED lights. I'm with Farsight about keeping it classy.

What I'd REALLY like to see, is Farsight get in touch with the Cactus Canyon team and pay them to FINISH THE TABLE! Oh my God I'd kickstart that in a second.

Last edited:

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
Love this mods idea. FS have said they'd have their tables as close to the originals as possible but I'd like to see some mods, gold trunks in TOM, to name but one.

Maybe as unlocks or just fun cheap add ons. I say cheap add ons cos I've got b***** all chance of unlocking anything

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I love table mods, but I think they'd be more likely as very cheap DLC (like $.25-$.50) rather than unlocks. And I would probably buy them. Rotating spaceships in AFM? Yes, please. Spinning tiger saw, and chained up trunk in TOM? Yes to those too.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I hate LEDs. Unless the table is supposed to have them, and is designed around them, or is very tastefully or well implemented, it can screw up the look of the game.

Case in point we found a Medieval Madness here in Pittsburgh. The guy obviously knows his pinball cause he's got a color DMD which is awesome, what looks like a brand new playfield probably a repro, all the toys and plastics were mint. I didn't get to spend much time with it (2 drunk, quick games) so I can't comment on how well it plays. But the LEDs were just god-awful looking. Made the table look like a gawky Christmas tree in a trailer court. And they seared my eyeballs. This after I got done playing a Stern Spider-Man with red and blue flashers and way better lighting. MM was hurting my eyes.

Still it's MM on location in 2012 with a color DMD it's hard to hate :)

okurka

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
They already have problems running the tables on mobile devices, just look at the solid ramps on NGG and the jagged wire ramps on CV. Adding mods like an animated Tiger Saw is only going to make it worse.

Members online

Members online