High Score Initials Entry...getting around the chimes

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I've noticed something interesting, and it happens to be a result I'm happy with and want full time!

Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Screen: Windowed and Full 1920 x 1080
Controller: Xbox 360 wired

Occurrence: 100%

What is expected: When entering initials for high score, each button press is greeted with the oh so annoying FS chime.

What actually happens: Depends on how you have the controls set up! So in default, where flippers are controlled by the triggers and NOT shoulder buttons, entering initials still gets you the chime. However, switching the setup to flippers being controlled by the shoulder buttons completely eliminates the chime from sounding!

Please don't fix! If anything, remove the chimes from sounding when using the triggers too. Anyways, thought that was an interesting anomaly that is happening.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
Yes I noticed this aswell, running with a corded 360 controller. I remapped buttons to the shoulder buttons and was POSITIVELY surprised when there was no chimes, so you can actually hear the ROM sounds being played. This should be fixed on all versions of TPA! :D

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I've noticed something interesting, and it happens to be a result I'm happy with and want full time!

Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Screen: Windowed and Full 1920 x 1080
Controller: Xbox 360 wired

Occurrence: 100%

What is expected: When entering initials for high score, each button press is greeted with the oh so annoying FS chime.

What actually happens: Depends on how you have the controls set up! So in default, where flippers are controlled by the triggers and NOT shoulder buttons, entering initials still gets you the chime. However, switching the setup to flippers being controlled by the shoulder buttons completely eliminates the chime from sounding!

Please don't fix! If anything, remove the chimes from sounding when using the triggers too. Anyways, thought that was an interesting anomaly that is happening.
Damn, now they're aware of it! You've ruined it for all of us!

BadgerDeluxe

FarSight Employee
Aug 14, 2013
Hmm... everyone seems pretty unanimous on this. Any more input from anyone else? I'll pass it on and we'll take it to consideration. :)

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
As much as I'd love you guys to remove it, wouldn't it create an awkward silence for emulated tables which don't have a movement sound? Plus tables with a non emulated high score system (I can't think of the correct terms, but the sort of high score thing you see with Gorgar, Big Shot etc.) would also suffer.

mpclemens

Jun 26, 2013
I'd rather suffer in silence, thanks. I'm dead center in the alphabet -- M -- and the chime-chime-chime is annoying. Playing the sound when the letter is "locked in" would be fine, but please, not for every press.

fenderbendr

Dec 1, 2012
As much as I'd love you guys to remove it, wouldn't it create an awkward silence for emulated tables which don't have a movement sound? Plus tables with a non emulated high score system (I can't think of the correct terms, but the sort of high score thing you see with Gorgar, Big Shot etc.) would also suffer.

Couldn't they just remove and leave it on the tables they wanted to?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Please, pass it on. It's one of those little things that has long been derided here on the forum, but there's always been bigger fish to fry in terms of stuff we wanted taken care of. I liken this to the iOS people complaining about the carpet. It doesn't affect game play, but it bothers every time you hear it.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
I think the idea was that on any machine that doesn't have sound while you enter the initials (or where you don't enter initials via the ROM itself at all, a la Black Hole) it would be left in, otherwise it should be omitted.

I think they should consider a different sound as well. It works for menus when there's a relatively significant delay between options (going from one menu to another) but when scrolling rapidly through letters, it needs to be more abrupt. Even if it's the sound of a flipper, it's a lot more succinct than a chime that can overlap itself when scrolling quickly enough.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Is anyone else experiencing (on the more modern tables) no UI chime when moving left or right to select a letter for initial entry, but still hearing a UI chime on top of the table sound when confirming a letter?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts