PC - Request Beta requests

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Having spent a few hours now with the beta, I have to say that this is a good first step for FarSight, onto the PC platform.

Until we reach a time when the lighting engine can be upgraded to a similar spec as the PS4, and we get to see what DX11 brings to the party, I would like to make a few requests which I believe are well within the realms of reality, based on my first impressions with the beta.

1. Option to turn off title screen music.
2. Toggle on/off fps counter. Possible already?
3. Higher resolution textures for the tables.
4. Higher resolution texture for the wooden floor and backround (sorry but this is really ugly!).
5. Rumble enabled for contoller.
6. More fluid navigation within menus.
7. Artwork scaling issue fixed.
8. Improved and more consistent use of post processing effects. For example, the flippers on Flight 2000 look like neon lights.

EDIT:
9. Is it me, or are the tables too easy? I was getting quite bored on my first play of Scared Stiff after about 5 extra balls on my first ball. Reaching the wizard mode was possible on almost every ball.
10. Ball sounds aren't very audible, especially the rolling sound.

Last edited:

rob3d

Feb 20, 2012
I think a change in ui might be in order going forward. With so many tables already plus the many we expect down the line a grid system might be better for selection.

toolb0x

Aug 14, 2013
I believe the table picking UI is the same on the PS3 also. I don't really care for it. I'll second rob3d on a grid like table selection screen would be nice.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
And if you look at the "View Tables" section of the Pinballarcade.com site, they've already got the icons for a grid UI ready to go.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
EDIT:
9. Is it me, or are the tables too easy? I was getting quite bored on my first play of Scared Stiff after about 5 extra balls on my first ball. Reaching the wizard mode was possible on almost every ball.
I agree with all your points, but I'll address these:
9. I agree somewhat. It's weird, but somehow I think that if you enable/disable HUD a number of times the FPS doesn't drop but the ball seems to move a *tiny* bit slower, or it becomes easier. Or something. Everything definitely feels easier than it has on other versions. I suspect ball movement isn't anywhere near as fast as it should be on any of the tables.
10. Agreed again. After watching PAPA 16 last weekend, I realised the difference in the sort of sounds we *should* be hearing vs. what we are hearing. It's massive. Still very lo-fi and nowhere near enough punch or impact. An option to change the volume so the mechanical sounds vs. the game's emulated sounds would be VERY welcome (but they still need to be improved in quality, too).

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I think a change in ui might be in order going forward. With so many tables already plus the many we expect down the line a grid system might be better for selection.

Completely agree.

Obviously the UI has been previously designed with touchscreen technology at the forefront of the requirements. On PC this should be much further down the list of priorities, with a clearer focus on ease and speed of navigation with mouse, keyboard and controller.

Something with a bit more elegance wouldn't go amiss too.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
I agree with all your points, but I'll address these:
10. Agreed again. After watching PAPA 16 last weekend, I realised the difference in the sort of sounds we *should* be hearing vs. what we are hearing. It's massive. Still very lo-fi and nowhere near enough punch or impact. An option to change the volume so the mechanical sounds vs. the game's emulated sounds would be VERY welcome (but they still need to be improved in quality, too).

That's exactly what I mean. Sometimes I feel that it's almost like flipping a ping-pong ball around, and I think the lack of some weighty sounds for the ball (collisions, rolling etc) has a lot to do with this. I'm not sure if the ball feels a little underweight or not (just my impressions after a weekend of playing a lot of real machines). Some have mentioned that the PS4 videos seem to indicate a slightly heavier ball, but it's inconclusive at the mo.

Agree that some audio controls would be a good addition.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
They should just get a sample of a bowling ball rolling down a lane, pitch it up a little and use that ;)

Ric-82

Aug 14, 2013
Having spent a few hours now with the beta, I have to say that this is a good first step for FarSight, onto the PC platform.

Until we reach a time when the lighting engine can be upgraded to a similar spec as the PS4, and we get to see what DX11 brings to the party, I would like to make a few requests which I believe are well within the realms of reality, based on my first impressions with the beta.

1. Option to turn off title screen music.
2. Toggle on/off fps counter. Possible already?
3. Higher resolution textures for the tables.
4. Higher resolution texture for the wooden floor and backround (sorry but this is really ugly!).
5. Rumble enabled for contoller.
6. More fluid navigation within menus.
7. Artwork scaling issue fixed.
8. Improved and more consistent use of post processing effects. For example, the flippers on Flight 2000 look like neon lights.

EDIT:

I'd like to add another request

11. Free camera mode: I'd like to choose my very own viewpoint and perspective

JefferyHill

Aug 17, 2013
I like the recomended enhancment requests.

Has anybody else noticed that when you turn on Post processing that the ball lag becomes very noticeable? Not sure what that feature is for? I am running it on a very highend PC.
Also on the front menu screen the reference to the software playing agreement still mentions playing on Play Station 3.

I also look forward to the cabenet abilities or combatabilities as mentioned, where I can at least see the backscreen on a 2nd monitor.

Mick Morry

Jun 9, 2013
Agree on most your points. I think Scared Stiff is just you though. I find I have good rounds and bad rounds. I think you are just really good at that table. However most of your points I totally agree with.

I also would like to see free camera mode that Ric-82 mentions. I also would like to request a free look mode for checking out the table without any menu options or print of any type obscuring the view of the table. You know...a walk around the table like you can in car games. Check out the back glass, the sides, etc.

I agree we need rumble controller effect going on. In FX2 the rumble device on the controller makes you almost feel like you are holding the sides of a real pinball table. I also would like to hear a ball rolling sound, and see it employed in the tables. A glass off mode would also be great. Especially if you allowed us to push a ball around or use a virtual finger to manipulate table triggers to see what does what.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Scared Stiff has been known as probably the easiest TPA table since it was first released. They really do need to make it more realistic.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
Scared Stiff has been known as probably the easiest TPA table since it was first released. They really do need to make it more realistic.

There's definitely a fine balancing act there isn't there. Scared Stiff is too easy, therefore, I don't play it. Firepower is too hard, therefore, I don't play it.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
There's definitely a fine balancing act there isn't there. Scared Stiff is too easy, therefore, I don't play it. Firepower is too hard, therefore, I don't play it.
No such thing as too hard. Just weak players ;)
(FWIW I love the hell out of Firepower, no matter what version. Shame this one isn't emulated yet, though)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
The only thing that keeps me from playing FP is the bugs. I was really hoping we'd see it ROM emulated by now.

Ric-82

Aug 14, 2013
I also would like to see free camera mode that Ric-82 mentions. I also would like to request a free look mode for checking out the table without any menu options or print of any type obscuring the view of the table. You know...a walk around the table like you can in car games. Check out the back glass, the sides, etc.

We think alike :)

I had sort of the same thought here: http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/5521-Explorative-mode-(cabinet-art-backglass-etc-)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts