Any strategies to win Digital Pinball more often?

WilliamPorygon

Apr 21, 2012
I love the ToM table, and I'm definitely not too shabby at it overall (just posted my new personal best of a shade under 9.1B), but the video mode (digital pinball) makes me groan every time it comes up. I get lucky and win it sometimes, but I get stuck on one or two targets very often (generally the middle two are the ones that give me the most trouble but sometimes it's one of the other ones.) Plus the fact that it's an extra ball at stake makes it more frustrating when I can't hit the last target. Is it possible to win every time, or is it just unwinnable sometimes if the table decides so? Does anyone have any advice or videos on how to earn those video mode EBs more often?

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I win it at least 90 percent of the time.

Outermost targets, catch the ball and let it rest, it will climb up the wall and hit.
The inner most you need to catch the ball and let it slide most of the way down the flipper.

The ones in between are my crapshoot targets but I usually nab them inadvertently while trying to set up for the middle ones

szycag

Apr 19, 2012
Always get stuck with one target left, I still need the wizard goal for this too. When you say catch the ball do you mean hold it with the flipper until it stops? Seems like there's never enough time to try to aim a shot in it.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Outer targets: Flip as soon as the ball could possibly be within reach of your flipper and it will generally head for the corner. Normal physics go out the window in digital pinball!
Inner targets: Let ball slide down the flipper (this takes longer than you think - so much so that it would drain down the middle if it were the real pinball) and then flip.
Middle targets: These generally take care of themselves from missed shots to the outer and inner targets.

I believe digital pinball is always winnable, but of course I can't "prove" it since I don't have access to source code and all that.

Actionball

Banned
May 23, 2012
Its maddening, center shots most of all. The other night I had the stupid game, which had been holding out on the extra ball/pinball awards for the trap door for about 7 games, suddenly give me digital pinball 3 times in a single game, two even were back to back. I won only 1 of them and let that failure turn a very promising game, like 5 billion ball one with 2 more EB already stacked up promising into a total let down because I could not quit stewing over how awful and unfair that mode is.

What really gets me is that it seems to play like the ball is an inch off the flipper while looking as though it were rolling down flush on the rubber and turns every shot into a backhand.

szycag

Apr 19, 2012
Finally got a clear, and the extra ball to go with it. Nice!

I should include this tip here that I saw elsewhere on the forum; if you're holding the left flipper as soon as you start the game the DMD will say "Digital Pinball Activated" or something like that... it won't start immediately but once you get into the basement the first time a digital pinball game will automatically be picked instead of the randomized bonus. This should be helpful for the wizard goal, just start up a game and shoot the center lane enough times... but it only gives you 40 million if you win and not an extra ball, I guess so people wouldn't abuse it.

Thanks for the tips!

Actionball

Banned
May 23, 2012
Ok, here is the sequence.

I read my original post, and it was all wrong....whoops.

The proper sequence is this-

Ball enters and hits second from right X X X X 0 X

Catch with right flipper and quick backhand will hit far right X X X X 0 0

Ball SHOULD return by an odd bounce to the LEFT side flipper where you have to hit it as it comes in on the tip which takes it to the second from the left X 0 X X 0 0

Catch in the left (hope it doesn't glitch through) and backhand the far left 0 0 X X 0 0

Catch in either flipper, mostly it comes down to the left for me instead of crossing as it does with that identical shot on the right. Roll to the tip, flip and get the opposite side middle and a catch on that side, repeat.

Painless and repeatable, lots of time left and no drama. If I notice I goofed the order again I will edit again.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Members online

Members online