kindle fire hd quality

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
Hello!
I just have a dumb question....
I use a kindle fire hd 7 on a hdmi cable to newer hdtv
I recently purchased TPA for my ps3 and the quality differences are night and day with the ps3 version being head and shoulders above and beyond.
So far my only solution was to purchase season2 for the ps3

Am I missing something?

Thanks all, happy flipping!

N

netizen

Am I missing something?

The expectation that mobile versions would be comparable with Console ones in the graphical assests would be about the only thing you had correct.

Running TPA via the HDMI out will severely decrease it's performance no matter the mobile device you use. Based on the reports from the players that have tried it, you'll probably get an average of 30 FPS instead of the goal of 60 FPS that TPA plays at.

Kindle HD plays well, as a mobile device, but the GPU isn't the greatest as it wasn't developed as a gaming platform. After pushing all the pixels to fill the screen there aren't many flops left to push triangles for OpenGL. This combined with the CPU probably not having Anti Aliasing instructions in the kernel can result in some textures appearing less than desirable on some tables. Yes they are completely playable, but compared to Xbox or PS3 they are not as pretty. then if you add the reflections, and dynamic lighting which do not exist at all on any mobile platform there is a noticeable difference.

However, Mobiles can be played in portrait mode. Mobiles have Shake nudging. Mobiles have a much faster release and patch schedule. Mobiles have a large variation of hardware to develop for resulting in fragmentation for Android/Nook/Kindle (Which are all flavours of the same thing). Mobile is going through massive changes in hardware and software development and may soon be able to do what the PS3 is presently doing.

The platform wars is pointless, as each player will have preference determined by style of play, patience for table pack release schedule, and their ability to afford new(er) hardware. So long as we're all playing TPA/Pinball how does it matter who is playing it on what platform?

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
To elaborate a bit, I am quite aware or the hardware limitations but am unfamiliar with the kindle config itself. In the ps3 I recently ran across my display settings which had a radical effect on tpa.

I am wondering if Amazon exposed any control over the video port in their very limited settings that may give tpa some help. Afaik it's the same quality using local screen only.
I'm probably just asking too much....thanks for the help
Edit: local vs remote quality inconclusive..too small to tell 100%

Last edited:
N

netizen

AFAIK all Droid devices output at 720p with no exposure to the port settings. There may be some custom ROMs that have more interoperability but I do not know of any apps or GUIs that allow for what you are asking.

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
To update- true 1080 output..definitely looks better in portrait than landscape, the mipmapping option should have a pretty noticeable improvement.

Lighting is the other big difference.
Anywho, looking forward to the tweaks ;)

Last edited:

Members online

Members online