Entering the 21st Century ....

N

netizen

I am looking at finally getting an HD TV. I no rite

I think I have it down to a couple models in my price range and I am curious if anyone here has had any experience with either of them

Contender #1 is a Toshiba 39" 1350U. It's pretty bare bones, but the "price is right" at the Target down the street; around $500. I have found reviews that show the Game Mode is reliable on this model.

Contender #2 is a Sony 32" KDL-32W650A. This is a bit more expensive but is internet ready, and has built in codecs for image/audio/video for playback via USB, which is a huge selling point for me, and a digital audio multi channel pass through; this is about $600. From what I have read the Picture quality is AWESOME, and no one has reported any game lag.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
First off, hurray!

Next, you don't want a 32". That's not a tv, that's a computer monitor! Seriously though, 40" minimum. I'm not sure what it converts to in Canada bucks, but I went to bestbuy.com, entered 40" and above, followed by under $500 and 57 TVs popped up. Stick with Sony, Samsung, and Toshiba. Or go plasma with a Panasonic. Dismiss anything that isn't 1080p. Don't be fooled by all the 120hz motion smoothing jargon, since you'll just be turning it off for gaming since that causes lag. That goes for all the post processing in any TV.

I love TV shopping, even though I haven't bought one in forever. Let's just say my picture demands price me right out of affordable! Still, I'll help. Now, is there a reason for you to be looking for under 40", or is it just cost? Do you care if it is a Smart TV, 3D, or is your only wish for it to have a USB that can do playback? Have you checked out http://www.hometheater.com/content/top-picks-flat-panels ? Often I look for what gets the great review and then see if that same tech translates into a lesser model by the same company.

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
I can't recommend Sony enough. I've been a Sony customer (for TVs) since the 90s and am very impressed w/ the longevity.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Get a LG. the biggest you can find on your budget. It has the same panels as Sony has, but way better software. Maybe you can find a last year's model for a very decent price.i bought last year's 42" 3D for about $700.

Yes, you do not under any circumstances want anything below 40" :)

N

netizen

32" is on the list as I don;t have a shed load of room.
Currently I have a 24" CRT, the couch is about 7.5 feet away, and when the basement is finished the couch will be <6 feet from where the TV will be. Based on the viewing size guide I looked at a 32" at 6 feet is right at the end of maximum suggested viewing, but a 40" puts it almost too close.

I really am interested in having the USB and codecs on board so I can stop having to convert MP4/MKV files to play back on a standalone dvd player that only plays divx/xvid/avi files. I'm a bit of a torrent fiend, absolutely hate commercials. I'll dl a show even if I can watch it play live, lol.

The features I really would like are the USB playback, internet ready, not totally convinced if it needs wifi, I can always flash a router to set up a repeater and give myself more wifis in the house, digital multi channel audio pass through. The more connection options the better

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
The LG also has a community of software hacking guys. I have a small very old LG in my bedroom, that only had its USB for updates etc. the guys mad a software which enables me to play virtually everything off a USB stick/drive.

My 55" 3D one can play everything too, except DTS audio, as there is no decoder built in. I never had any problems at all. That one is about 2 years old. It's running stock firmware.

N

netizen

So you think the LG 42LN5700 would be a better Display?

It doesn't have 3d, but really i'm ok with that.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
There's no such thing as too big a TV. :)

Personally, I am a huge fan of Samsung TVs, particularly their plasmas. I have two 50" plasmas that I paid $800 for in Feb 2009. They both still look great.

There's no reason to get a "smart" TV if you're going to hook a console to it. Your PS3 can stream videos off your PC, play Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc. So why pay for something you don't need?

Anyway, for $500, you can get at least a 42" TV and be happy with the picture.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
I can only find a 5708. Lol, you can record live tv on a USB drive :)

And I have magic remote I don't need, if you ever come to Austria :)

Yep, go for that, if you like it. Another plus for the LGs is, that you can completely turn of all of the image 'enhancements' ;) so you can really see the picture as it is :) no more 200 or 400hz from a 24p movie....

N

netizen

I don't own a console and am on the fence about buying a PS4.

So, having something with potential features is an option I may not use, but will be nice to consider.

Besides, does a PS3 play MKV/MP4 files? Looks like no, so even if I had a console I'd still be in the same position i am now, converting video files for playback.
There is such thing as too big a tv. I don't enjoy feeling like I am sitting in the front row of the imax at home. If I have to move my head to take in the whole picture things are on the ridiculous side.

I don't watch much TV, but I want something larger, and much clearer than my laptop to watch movies on occasionally.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Okay, with regards to viewing distance...

With 1080p HD, the distance has shrunk significantly. 40" with a 6' distance is well within that spec. It's a flat panel, so much thinner than your CRT, remember that too. If you buy a blu-ray player, a receiver, or even go with a Roku, you'll have the streaming channels. Gotcha on the USB though, that is your must have feature.

Yeah, LG has some good stuff, so does Vizio now. I'll do some searching and see what I can come up with.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I like my Sony 46" except during a dark scene in a movie when the tv gets darker for some reason until there is enough light then it brightens back up.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I like my Sony 46" except during a dark scene in a movie when the tv gets darker for some reason until there is enough light then it brightens back up.

Some of that may be caused by the Gamma Correction or whatever it's called. It's on by defaullt, but you can and should disable that. I forget exactly what the setting is called. I can look later if you want.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Okay, I just did a quick check. Home Theater . com has 2 TVs that they recommend as top pics that fit your price. They are very selective about their top picks, so you know it's gonna be a good picture.

First, the Samsung UN40EH5300 which is a 40" and has USB input, sells for $449 at Best Buy right now, and only a couple of bucks different at Amazon.

Second, a Vizio E401i-A2 with all the same features, selling for $479 at Best Buy.

The reviews that are posted on the site are for slightly different model numbers, but they are the same series and therefore same pic quality. Give those a look and see what you think.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
Count me in with "the bigger is better" crowd. You should be able to get a 42" tv with no problems in regards to your viewing space.

I have a Panasonic plasma and I love it! It's a great all around TV. I would check out the Panasonics and also the Samsung TV's that fall within your budget. Good luck!

N

netizen

So you think the LG 42LN5700 would be a better Display?

Welp .. I pulled the trigger and purchased this TV.

She's a 42". I sat down with 2 tape measures, a clamp, and the tv stand to envision the size. Just waiting on the delivery confirmation email ...
Next on my list of "Things I Have TODO" will be flashing my router with OpenWRT and getting an good VPN to bypass the region locking that prevents Canadians from using them free streaming services.

VPN Suggestions?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
only problem with big HDTV's is they put off alot of heat so if you have a small room its going to get warmer than usual, not sure about the LED HDTVs though.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
only problem with big HDTV's is they put off alot of heat so if you have a small room its going to get warmer than usual, not sure about the LED HDTVs though.
I have a Samsung LED in the backbox of my Vpin. It's only warm, not hot... And I have zero airflow in there (well, the original holes :))

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
Welp .. I pulled the trigger and purchased this TV.

She's a 42". I sat down with 2 tape measures, a clamp, and the tv stand to envision the size. Just waiting on the delivery confirmation email ...
Next on my list of "Things I Have TODO" will be flashing my router with OpenWRT and getting an good VPN to bypass the region locking that prevents Canadians from using them free streaming services.

VPN Suggestions?

Net,

Congrats on the TV purchase! You'll see that the bigger picture is worth it!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.