What do you think of the spotlights added to table inserts in the PS4 version?

What do you think of the spotlights added to table inserts in the PS4 version?

• I love them!

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I like them.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I don't like them.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I hate them!

Votes: 15 32.6%

• Total voters

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
For the PS4 version, FarSight have added dynamic spotlights shining down on illuminated playfield inserts (inserts are the little sections of the playfield floor that light up to show things you've activated). Unlike most inserts on actual pinball tables, these added spotlights in the PS4 version illuminate the area around the insert as well as the insert itself while the insert is turned on. An example was highlighted by Jeff in the large upper circled area of this PS4 Cirqus Voltaire screenshot:

33bjpsg.png

You can see them in action in this video:

What do you think of this additional lighting feature?

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
I like them, but make them in a way that the don't bloom across the entire playfield, like I said in my earlier post. It makes it seem like a better light show, just too flashy on the playing area. Flashers and GI are doing alright.

N

netizen

I am not a fan of the hyperbloom/LED effect that is going on with the PS4 in the video and stills thus far.

I had much higher hopes for a more subtle, but defined lighting that would emulate the fading in and out of incandescent lights under the inserts and in the GI Lights.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
BLECH!

The mere fact that the "spotlight" effect exists at all means it's wrong. Inserts are lit from below the playfield and shine up. So there should only be a tiny bit of bloom...just enough for the player to reliably distinguish lit from unlit, and adjacent playfield surface should not be lit up unless it's the underside of a wireform or some other piece that projects above the playfield. At any rate, we certainly should not being seeing the massive spotlight effect shown in the CV screenshot.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
how does FS think this is right or what it should look like? going to need extra seizure warnings for this game :p

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
It's a difficult one to get right and please everyone.

It won't ever look perfect as your eye adjusts exposure when you play a real machine.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
I could take or leave the spotlights (mostly leave). I think the vid looks pretty good. I do think that the playfield lights are a bit too intense. I want to see more!

Unless this game is drop dead amazing, with great physics and minimal bugs, I will not be buying a PS4 just for this game. Because that would be the only reason I would get one. Have to wait and see.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
they need to reverse where the light source is instead of shining down on the table they should be shining up and tone them down and save the extra brightness for the flashers.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I think it's somewhat needed for certain tables that don't have many flashers but use GI and inserts to "flash." Centaur comes to mind. No flashers on the playfield but the ROM "flashes" the GI to make it look like it does. Very cool IRL, BTW.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
No, no, no, and no!

There are plenty of pics to be found on the web of these actual tables in darkened situations and the machine does a fine job of lighting the entire thing itself! Now, I don't particularly like playing in a completely darkened environment, so I think having a light source external to the machine is fine, but not a freakin' spotlight! The cinematographer in me cringes.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I like playing in a dark room, it makes me feel like Ralphy rubbing the leg lamp...GLOWING SEX :D How are we going to tell FS about this without breaking thier hearts and the art department committing suicide :p

Queue

Aug 28, 2013
With the release of the Wii-U port looking less and less likely, I had considered trading in my Wii-U and saving up for an eventual PS4 purchase, but after seeing this travesty of a light show, that option is off the table. I don't know how, but Farsight managed to make the tables look worse — in my not-so-humble opinion, of course. I'm not blowing four hundred dollars on a new console to play an "upgraded" port of a DLC title that looks different at best and garish at worst.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
those are not spot lights. The top one is only present when that light up top bumper lights up. The bottom left one you have circled is only different from the other side because they are both flashing on and off back and forth. You are looking at a still frame of lights blinking on and off and thinking it stay that way.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
those are not spot lights. The top one is only present when that light up top bumper lights up. The bottom left one you have circled is only different from the other side because they are both flashing on and off back and forth. You are looking at a still frame of lights blinking on and off and thinking it stay that way.

Take a look at the video and you'll see that every time an insert goes on, there's a bright light shining down on it and the table around it. When FILM letters in Creature light up, for instance, there's a hotspot from the spot lights above them so bright that you can't even read the letters themselves (and they're big, black on yellow letters!). Also on Creature, observe when the heart inserts going into the tunnel of love on the left light up: a spotlight shines on them so bright that it obliterates the color of the woman around them.

I dont get you people that would buy a PS4 just for TPA thats like buying a bugatti veyron as a grocery getter. :p

I don't have much money but I probably still would have. Kind of rethinking it at the moment though. Flawed as the PS3 version is, at least the tables still mostly look sorta like the real deals.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
the 2 things you circled only happen when lights are going off, so they may be improper but it's definitely not a spot lite that you have circled as clearly you can see them not present at all times in the video

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I dont get you people that would buy a PS4 just for TPA thats like buying a bugatti veyron as a grocery getter. :p

I agree that it would be odd to get a PS4 for just TPA but to each his own. I play games all the time and I've been ready for a new console for quite a while. Can't hardly wait!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.