Metroid Prime Pinball

szycag

Apr 19, 2012
I played this quite a bit when it came out (2005), but wasn't really into pinball in general at the time. Picked it up again and beat a match of the Artifact Temple, which I can't remember if I ever did before. Got about 7 million. Not much to say about the game, just that it's definitely worth playing and wondered what you guys thought of it. If you can find the rumble pak for it (slot 2 so no DSi/3ds) it adds a lot to the experience. I wish there were a few more "main" tables in it.

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I need to dig it out and play it more too, but I like how it combines realistic and fantasy elements. I wish there were more pinball games on DS.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
This was the first game I bought for the DS. I'm not a huge fan of fantasy pinball, but if you're going to do one, this is the way to do it! Each of the different tables were linked, so you could warp between them during the same game, and the fact that the ball was Samus Aran made the whole thing that much cooler.
This was also one of the few games that actually made good use of the dual screens. Shame this never saw a sequel, or other franchises given the same treatment, such as Mario or Pokemon, the latter of which had iterations on GBC and GBA.

c-dub

Feb 28, 2012
I give it a big thumbs up! I'd probably still be playing it today if the shoulder buttons on my DS hadn't carked it. :(

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
I just saw it for pretty cheap so I ordered it, my 3DS is collecting dust right now so I finally have a reason to fire it up again ;) I've always enjoyed the atmosphere of the Prime series, but can't get into these games anymore for some reason, so adding these themes to a fantasy pinball sounds really cool to me.

darkuni

Jul 26, 2012
Metroid Pinball is fantastic - esp. with the rumble pack (despite what people say).

What really sucks is - one of the first times I played it ... I was like ... possessed or something. I literally finished the game, scored some ungodly score - leaving me with really NOTHING to shoot for (pun intended). I've NEVER been able to play the game like that since.

Metroid Prime's biggest draw to me is multiplayer. Forget hot seat play - this was a simultaneous race to 50,000 points. Fantastic. I'd like to see this done again - with some parameters you can set (max balls, winning score, ghost ball of your opponent, etc).

Oh, and if you are DS/3DS fans, grab Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon. FANTASTIC. Can't recommend it enough. I reviewed it here: http://www.monroeworld.com/forums/content.php?58-Pinball-Pulse:The-Ancients-Beckon-Review

It is download only, but don't hold that against it. :)

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Forget hot seat play - this was a simultaneous race to 50,000 points. Fantastic. I'd like to see this done again - with some parameters you can set (max balls, winning score, ghost ball of your opponent, etc).
Zen/Pinball FX2 has this. You can set the score amount and the penalty for a drained ball (in %). Very fun to play with the kids.

darkuni

Jul 26, 2012
Zen/Pinball FX2 has this. You can set the score amount and the penalty for a drained ball (in %). Very fun to play with the kids.

Really? What platform? I didn't notice this in Zen (at least on my tablet). Console versions only?

I friggin' love that multiplayer type game.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Really? What platform? I didn't notice this in Zen (at least on my tablet). Console versions only?

I friggin' love that multiplayer type game.

All Pinball FX2 tables on 360, and I assume Marvel Pinball on PS3 (but not sure).

The imported Pinball FX1 tables don't have it in PFX2, and I assume Zen 1 doesn't have it either.

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Thanks man. I'll have to dust off my 360 I guess.
Download Pinball Arcade Demo while you're at it. Apart from the content delivery problems (that look like they are solved now) I think it's the safest (PS3 has flipper lag for a fair amount of users) and best way to play TPA (I have all versions bar Android). At least until PC version comes out.

If you want to try the splitscreen in PFX2 out I would recommend one of the better single-table purchases. Epic Quest, Sorcerer's Lair, Captain America or Fantastic Four.

Anything worth 240 MS points has the splitscreen multiplayer (among other features like operator menu). The 200 ones are Pinball FX 1 tables.

Last edited:

darkuni

Jul 26, 2012
My friends have been hounding me to get back on the 360 to play pinball. I guess I'll have to get back to it. I REALLY enjoy playing on my 10" Android tablet with Wii controller though.

Download Pinball Arcade Demo while you're at it. Apart from the content delivery problems (that look like they are solved now) I think it's the safest (PS3 has flipper lag for a fair amount of users) and best way to play TPA (I have all versions bar Android).

If you want to try the splitscreen in PFX2 out I would recommend one of the better single-table purchases. Epic Quest, Sorcerer's Lair, Captain America or Fantastic Four.

Anything worth 240 MS points has the splitscreen multiplayer (among other features like operator menu). The 200 ones are Pinball FX 1 tables.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Do you have nudging options that way though? Playing on iOS, while fun, always frustrates me when I drain a ball I knew I could nudge into safety with a controller.

darkuni

Jul 26, 2012
Currently, no you don't. Could be done, though! I'll have to talk to the USB/BT Joycenter dude about adding accelerometer support (might already be there).

Again, I know for pinball purists, that is unacceptable. For me? I'm ok without nudging - especially "unreal" tables that I'm not intimately familiar playing in real life.

Do you have nudging options that way though? Playing on iOS, while fun, always frustrates me when I drain a ball I knew I could nudge into safety with a controller.

darkuni

Jul 26, 2012
Now ... when one of my "pet" pins makes it to TPA or Zen - and I can't nudge - it will probably infuriate me too :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.