BUG: Performance: Does not save any settings changes
OS Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTS 360M
Ram: 4GB
Version #(Bottom right of game screen): 0.014
Display Mode: Windowed
Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Frequency of Occurrence: 100% of the time

Expected Result: When starting software it should retain previously set settings. When changing settings software should apply settings changes.
Actual Result: Software always starts in 640 x 480, post processing: off, displayed mode: windowed. When changes are made they do not take. Exiting the settings screen and going back into them shows the aforementioned settings. Restarting always reverts back to aforementioned default settings. Log in is also not saved between sessions. This is not new with 0.014, it has been happening since the first beta build and every subsequent build.

Varkon

Aug 30, 2013
0.015 UPDATE: Issue still exists with no change. 10 tests of changing all options and restarting the software. Changes to settings still do not take and are still reset back to post processing: off, display mode: windowed, resolution: 640 x 480 on each exit and start. I try this exiting through the exit button and through the windows close X button. Same result with both.

FatCat1276

Jul 27, 2012
Confirmed for me. Will not save any options upon exit. This bug has been present for me since the very first beta.

Workaround I've discovered-- browse to the installation folder and find the PinballArcade.exe-- right click and choose Properties, then under the Compatibiliy tab, check "Run this program as an administrator". After doing this the options save for me.

OS Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700
Ram: 8GB
Version #(Bottom right of game screen): 0.015
Display Mode: Fullscreen
Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
0.015 UPDATE: Issue still exists with no change. 10 tests of changing all options and restarting the software. Changes to settings still do not take and are still reset back to post processing: off, display mode: windowed, resolution: 640 x 480 on each exit and start. I try this exiting through the exit button and through the windows close X button. Same result with both.

Settings are saved when you press Back in the options menu. They are saved into this file:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\My Games\Pinball Arcade\Settings.ini

Make sure this file exists and that its modification date makes sense.

FatCat1276

Jul 27, 2012
Stuart-- I experimented with mine-- if I run the program as an administrator, it saves my settings. When I go back to running it normally, the settings don't save-- in fact, all options revert back to default. Going back to running it as an administrator causes the earlier settings/options to be loaded again.

Varkon

Aug 30, 2013
Running as administrator still does not work. Same results.

The directory in users my games exists for Pinball Arcade but it is empty - no config file to edit.

EDIT: Also, I always use the Back button in the options menu since the very first build. I always get the message that settings will not take effect until restart, but restart still has default settings.

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
Go to the Pinball Arcade's install directory and check the log file for me.

The default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\PinballArcade\Log.txt

If reading/writing the save data fails, a message should be logged in that file.

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
Go to the Pinball Arcade's install directory and check the log file for me.

The default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\PinballArcade\Log.txt

If reading/writing the save data fails, a message should be logged in that file.
I forgot to mention that you should change your settings, return to the main menu, press exit, and then grab the log. The log is overwritten each time the application is run.

Varkon

Aug 30, 2013
I forgot to mention that you should change your settings, return to the main menu, press exit, and then grab the log. The log is overwritten each time the application is run.

Here is the failure text in the log file:

Failed to create directory |C:\Users\<username>\My Games\Pinball Arcade\8hþ\|
DebugLine: FILE - Source\SavingLoading.cpp, LINE - 31

The subfolder after Pinball Arcade has some weird symbols. It actually reads: <...>\Pinball Arcade\<symbol that looks like a tiny capital T>8hþ<symbol that looks like an up arrow>\|

The Pinbal Arcade folder in My Games is still empty.

Stuart Webster

Apr 24, 2013
Alright, thanks for your cooperation. Looks like something went wrong with the registry -- I'll have to review this with Mike tomorrow.

Varkon

Aug 30, 2013
Using the new version 0.016 still causes effectively the same problem.

A few dozen trials of opening and closing and trying different resolutions and combinations of fullscreen and post processing on/off.

The game loads the default settings anyway.

Here is why from the log file:

Failed to create directory |C:\Users\<username>\My Games\Pinball Arcade\ Arcade\ Arcade\\Settings.ini\settings.dat\|
Reason 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

In the path: C:\Users\<username>\My Games\Pinball Arcade\ the following files were created tonight by the new settings application:

HighScores
settings.dat
Settings.ini

When I launch the separate settings application it reads the appropriate newly created file and shows whatever I last saved the settings as.

The subfolder that the main application is looking for called Arcade does not exist.

Varkon

Aug 30, 2013
I tried creating the Arcade subfolder and copying the three files into it. The game still launches in default mode and the error log returns the same error.

Varkon

Aug 30, 2013
Varkon, does your Log.txt list any DebugLines?

Yes. Here is the full block of text from the log file that seems pertinent. Sorry, I should have noticed those earlier and provided them:

Failed to create directory |C:\Users\<username>\My Games\Pinball Arcade\ Arcade\ Arcade\<character that looks like an up arrow>\Settings.ini\settings.dat\|
Reason 3: The system cannot find the path specified.

DebugLine: FILE - Source\SavingLoading.cpp, LINE - 48

Init Game
IMemoryInterface - Allocate
IMemoryInterface - InitHeap
DebugLine: FILE - ..\..\..\..\Libraries\Source\Resource\Resource.c, LINE - 1564

DebugLine: FILE - ..\..\..\..\Libraries\SourceCPP\PinballFramework\Williams\LegacyFunctions.cpp, LINE - 540

Set display mode
Resolution = 640x480
PixelFormat = 22
DepthFormat = 75
StencilBits = 8

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts