New to this forum with a question.

Centerdriver

Sep 1, 2013
I have aquired an old countertop pinball machine from my parents that my grandfather had in his country store. It is called a Jig-Alo Electro Ball. At first it did not work, but my cousin and I got everything cleaned up and running. Had to replace a couple of wires and replace the power switch. Other than that, it works fine. It has a rough finish due to how it was stored, but can be restored. My question is a two parter. One. Should I restore by scraping/sanding and repainting, or would that take away from the value of it, and, Two, just what is something like this worth. I am researching only to see if it is worth keeping and passing down to the kids, grandkids, or just sell it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. You can contact me by email, or by response as I will check in from time to time. Thanks.
Dusty

Centerdriver

Sep 1, 2013
Yes, I do. It is black, and the paint is a bit faded, but yup, that's the one. My cousin is a woodworking genious and is makeing a coin box for it, that is the only missing part. But yup.

N

netizen

There have been a couple people on this forum that have refinished pinball machines recently.

Others can offer more in depth advice:
Depending on how bad your playfield is IDk if sanding it down is going to be the only option. Try cleaning it first with some Novus #2, iirc, and then see the state of it. Maybe you'll just have to do touch ups. After cleaning it you can wax it, and so long as you maintain the playfield it'll likely last a while still.

That's a freaking antique!!

Maybe try posting on Pinside if you want to try and get some more opinions and advice.

Centerdriver

Sep 1, 2013
Thanks netizen. Like I said, do not know how rare this thing is since I am not a big pinball fan. I am over 60 and use to play it in my grandpa's store when I was about 6. Was hoping to find an Antiques Road Show to take it to. Do not know of anyone else to go to for an appraisal. If it is worth a bunch, I need to insure it anyway no matter what. You have any clue where to take it to for an appraisal? If so, that would be a tremendous help.

N

netizen

I am in Canada so i wouldn't have a clue.

Try Pinside.com it's a dedicated site for pinball collectors and refinishers etc. You might be able to find some specific help there.

Please come back and fill us in on your headway. Other members will likely offer some advice.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
If its got to be done DO IT RIGHT or dont do it because you'll F the next guy. WELCOME :) Everytime I see a cocktail table I want 1 in my bathroom :p

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
As long as it's not graphitti or malicious defacing, I like a little wear & tear or patina. It adds to the character as well as emphasize it's antiqueness.

From what I can see in those photos, it doesn't look half bad.

Centerdriver

Sep 1, 2013
As you can tell, some of the numbers were repainted by my grandpa, and he was not an artist by any means, but everything works.

Timelord

Oct 29, 2012
I would just play it and love it for what it is, a nice playing game in fairly good shape.

Timelord ...

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts