What's Cabinet Support?

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I keep hearing talk about cabinet support. What do they mean? It's apparently in the works for TPA, and is already supported in VP, but I'm confused as to how these programs can be utilized in a real cabinet.

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
Cabinet support means that the view can be rotated 90 degrees. That way someone can put a widescreen monitor in a pinball cabinet.

It also allows for a second/third monitor to display the backglass and dmd.

Check out this guys pin

Big Bang Pin

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Yeah when people say cab support they typically mean FS, which a lot of people use to mount in simulated pinball cabinets

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
I totally plan on building a cabinet for TPA once the PC version comes out. I have the flipper buttons already and a plunger in the mail. Just waiting until the PC version drops so I can figure out the best way to implement analog nudging.

I have a board coming in that will allow me to use a real DMD as well. I hope TPA supports it.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I like this option also, since my favorite view is cam 2, and there's an awful lot of unused space on the sides. A cabinet option would put this space to use - you would see more detail as well as a view of the entire table, without needing to scroll. If they do implement it, I hope they do it across all platforms, especially 360 (since that's what I use).

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I like this option also, since my favorite view is cam 2, and there's an awful lot of unused space on the sides. A cabinet option would put this space to use - you would see more detail as well as a view of the entire table, without needing to scroll. If they do implement it, I hope they do it across all platforms, especially 360 (since that's what I use).

View 2 is almost perfect for a cab design, but the view would be perfectly top down and preferable with what in VP we call "Layback" settings. This creates the illusion of looking straight down on the flippers, but the view of items further back on the table are skewed back. With a 3d engine this shouldn't be too hard to implement.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012

I wouldn't think that cabinet support would be possible on a console. You need a second HDMI output and a way to output to a real DMD. I think this will only be possible on a computer.

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
I wouldn't think that cabinet support would be possible on a console. You need a second HDMI output and a way to output to a real DMD. I think this will only be possible on a computer.

Full cabinet support is not possible but a rotated view of the screen would still be nice. The only problem I can see is that either the HUD would have to be turned off or FS would have to get an exception to MS's rule about important data not being too close to the edge of the screen.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Full cabinet support is not possible but a rotated view of the screen would still be nice. The only problem I can see is that either the HUD would have to be turned off or FS would have to get an exception to MS's rule about important data not being too close to the edge of the screen.

That's what I meant - a rotated view. As for the DMD, there are several options. One would be to allow the player to increase / decrease the size, and place it wherever they want (I like to position it where the instruction card sits). Another is to do what Pro Pinball did - the DMD was at the top and center, but faded when the ball or other important action was taking place behind it, and would reappear when the area was no longer in use.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
If I were to build out a cabinet I think I'd go all in with a second HD screen for the back glass and a real DMD board. It might cost as much as a moderately priced used table but would be versatile and so cool!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.