MM overrated?

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
MM was one of the table I've played less than others in PHOF. Sure it's a great table, but not the best of all time. Slightly overated imo. What do you think?

Last edited:

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I've never played the IRL version, so I have to go by the sim versions. It does have excellent sound, a nice play field, and a rule set that is easy to grasp, yet still very challenging. The only problem I have is the gate SDTM flaw (discussed at length under another thread), which should automatically disqualify it for the number 1 position (which is where it is on Pinside), but I think it has enough strengths to at least put it in the top 10.
BTW, the PHOF version is terrible. It doesn't work well with the ball physics designed for that title. Play the TPA version, and see if you still don't like it.

szycag

Apr 19, 2012
Any particular reasons you feel that way? The production values are top tier on MM and everything feels just like it should. Getting a shot into the castle is one of the most memorable experiences a pinball game can have. I don't think there's a way to find what the best table ever is besides sales figures and such, it's all opinion. I think Gorgar is a bit overrated, but it's easy to see why it's important. If it's not your favorite then it is what it is, I don't think anything someone says is going to sell you on it. The easiest way to make yourself like a table more, I've found, is to play for score.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Not only do opinions differ, it's also what area you look at. Do you care for playfield, challenge, "fun factor", art, production values..and we can probably think of a few more with little effort.

I wonder what's important to you and why you feel MM is lacking. Cause for me it scores high in all of the above. Where I feel it could improve....well it could communicate mid- to longterm goals a bit better perhaps?

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
It is one of my favorite tables, however, at the same time i do feel that the shot selection is somewhat limited. Hit the same ramp 4 times to do this, hit this shot 3 times to do this. I know that that is usually the way it is, but MM can really FEEL limited somehow. I find it to be a small flaw in a great overall package.

I think a really good table will make you kind of forget you're playing pinball and kind of bring you into the world it's representing. The Getaway does that for me. Attack from mars does that for me. MM does too but i don't think the table layout is what does it for me. As much as i hate them for being a drain hazard, i love the trolls.

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
Hm, MM does almost everything right to be an awesome table, but somehow I can't get into it. It's hard to describe and I actually don't know why. Maybe it's because I am not really a fan of the middle ages or because the PHOF version doesn't do it justice. Let's see if the TPA version will change my feelings.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
The only real issue I have with MM is that it starts to feel repetitive after a while, especially when you are done with the other five requirements for Battle for the Kingdom and are left facing two or three castles with nothing to do but make gate shots repeatedly. Sometimes I wonder if it would have been a better game with five castles instead of six.

The only problem I have is the gate SDTM flaw (discussed at length under another thread), which should automatically disqualify it for the number 1 position (which is where it is on Pinside), but I think it has enough strengths to at least put it in the top 10.
The gate is nowhere near as hazardous as AFM's saucer/forcefield targets, which are both lower on the playfield and not angled. Judicious nudging and perhaps a slap save at times will generally keep things going. I'd say only one ball in every 40 or 50 comes back from the gate in a way that truly can't be saved, as long as you are trapping the ball and taking a set shot each time. Reflex shots to the gate will get you in trouble.

ND3G

Feb 25, 2012
Medieval Madness is my personal favorite. Twilight Zone is a close second though.

GDW

Mar 17, 2012
I like MM because the goals are easily set out, with a very simple play field. I don't mind the repetition, but I do agree that 5 castles would've balanced the goals out a bit. The characters are really good too.

It's funny because I really like MM because i'm watching Game of Thrones at the moment and it fits in nicely.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I don't think there's a way to find what the best table ever is besides sales figures and such, it's all opinion.

There are several ranking sites, such as Pinside and IPDB, which are pretty consistent, but do have occasional irregularities. The worst offender is the Addams Family. The standard machine is always in the top 10 (usually around number 5 or 6), while the Addams Family Gold is number 56 on Pinside, and 71 on IPDB. The only difference I can see is some different playfield colors, a very slight rule change, some extra voices and a few new or slightly changed DMD animations. Assuming you hate the differences, is that a good enough reason for it to drop it 50 or 60 places?

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I like MM because the goals are easily set out, with a very simple play field. I don't mind the repetition, but I do agree that 5 castles would've balanced the goals out a bit. The characters are really good too.

It's funny because I really like MM because i'm watching Game of Thrones at the moment and it fits in nicely.

Game of Thrones (or Song of Ice and Fire). That would make a nice pin.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Played the real machine a few weeks back and I can see why it's so popular. The charm the theme. The ease of some of the goals + who doesn't want to storm a castle? In pinball terms that is. The voice overs gives it it's charm. I have never played PHOF or the current TPA iteration but I'm looking forward to it when it's released on PS3.

Tony C

Feb 20, 2012
TAF Gold isn't worth the premium price that people want for it. TAF is an awesome game but, as Richard said, the gold version doesn't add enough to justify the huge jump in price. I'd guess that is why it ranks so much lower than its plainer brother.

Gord Lacey

Site Founder
Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It could also be that people don't know it exists. They just search for MM and "like" it. I didn't know about the Gold version until reading this thread.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
TAF Gold isn't worth the premium price that people want for it. TAF is an awesome game but, as Richard said, the gold version doesn't add enough to justify the huge jump in price. I'd guess that is why it ranks so much lower than its plainer brother.

The rankings should only be a measure of how well the table plays, not how good of a deal they are (there's a separate ranking in Pinside for that, with links to machines actually for sale). Right now, on the ipdb, Theatre of Magic stole Medieval's second place position, even though the individual rankings for Theatre are lower, and there are fewer votes cast for that table.

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
Sorry to bring this thread back, but man after playing the TPA version of MM my mind has changed. This is easily my favorite table now judging by the core + dlc 1/2 tables. It's is so much better than the PHOF version which was just ugly and the ball physics were really bad.

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Sorry to bring this thread back, but man after playing the TPA version of MM my mind has changed. This is easily my favorite table now judging by the core + dlc 1/2 tables. It's is so much better than the PHOF version which was just ugly and the ball physics were really bad.

Glad to see you've come around now that you're able to play Medieval Madness the way it was meant to be played. Easily my favorite at the moment as well.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I like MM, but this one, more than other tables, is much better in real life. Destroying the castle isn't nearly as exciting on my iPad as it is in an arcade. I also don't love the theme. Knights are a little played out for me. But the table is fast and fun with great dialogue. so I wouldn't say I don't like it, but I don't play it as often as some others.

Members online

Members online