Battle of the Kingdom strategy - advice needed

dyleck

Feb 28, 2012
Is winning of this mode impossible or what? I have just scored slightly over 700 milions, had Battle twice and was not even close to win (max 2 shots to castle were made). If you had any tip just let me know as this is the only goal left on this table.

GDW

Mar 17, 2012
Is winning of this mode impossible or what? I have just scored slightly over 700 milions, had Battle twice and was not even close to win (max 2 shots to castle were made). If you had any tip just let me know as this is the only goal left on this table.

Oh so that's you. Nice score. I assumed you won Battle twice. I'm seventh and i've had battle twice...hit the castle three times in one and didn't make it to the finale in the second attempt. MM is the hardest game out of all the Farsight games I have played. I don't want to think of the hours i've spent on this game.

There is no way i'm going to give a 700 million player a tip on gameplay. ;)

WilliamPorygon

Apr 21, 2012
Make absolutely sure to collect at least two troll bombs before starting BftK. The troll targets during the castle phase are invincible unless you use them. (It can be done without eliminating the trolls but it's FAR easier if you use the bombs to get them out of the way.)

There's a ball saver for about 15 seconds at the start, so that's a good time to shoot for the harder targets like the castle lock, catapult, or anything else that you tend to miss a lot. Don't be afraid to let a ball or two drain intentionally during this time if saving it would screw up an easy shot at one of those targets, cause the machine will launch it right back into play.

Keep an eye on the red star in the center above the flippers; when it stops flashing, the ball saver's off and you'll need to try to be more careful not to drain.

Remember the first half of BftK is is the only mode in the game where the left and right joust loops are treated as two different shots; you'll have to make both of them to advance to the second half.

Once you collect all the jackpots, hit the plunger twice to use your bombs and get rid of the trolls right away. If you have 2+ balls left try to catch them on your flippers. Get one ball to the right flipper, shoot it into the castle, re-catch it and repeat.

If only one ball remains a 10 second countdown starts, and resets each time the castle is hit (or a jackpot shot is claimed if you're still in the first part). The round is still quite salvageable if you got rid of the trolls; in fact I usually get down to the single ball situation before succeeding more often than I finish with multiball still going. Just shoot the castle, catch the ball on the flipper, and repeat. The ball does come SDTM from the castle sometimes so be ready to nudge the table if it's necessary. Try not to rattle your nerves by thinking about how important it is to make the shots; just think of it like any other time you're trying to advance through the castles.

dyleck

Feb 28, 2012
Once you collect all the jackpots, hit the plunger twice to use your bombs and get rid of the trolls right away. If you have 2+ balls left try to catch them on your flippers. Get one ball to the right flipper, shoot it into the castle, re-catch it and repeat.

Thanks man. I had an impression that second half is started only when you lose 3 balls. Unfortunately I have to wait for update in order to use troll bombs. And yeah - trolls guarding the castle are a major problem during second half.

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
Another tip is to use only one troll bomb on the BftK.
Trap one ball behind the remaining troll. (it'll be the right one)
Use the remaining ball(s) in play to gain some benefits. (without fear of the dreaded 1ball-ten-second-timer)
Remember to take any and every victory lap after the BftK.

Epsilon

Apr 19, 2012
Yeah, Battle for the Kingdom seems like the Holy Grail of pinball achievement for me. The only way I was ever able to do it was in Visual Pinball and I went into the menus and gave myself nine balls and set up a ton of extra ball opportunities and put every option on the easiest available setting.

Doing it legitimately in a game like this, especially with the flipper gap, on regular settings, seems like a completely unattainable goal with my meager skills. But at least it will always give me something to strive for. Especially when compared to tables like TOTAN, Funhouse, and Bride of Pinbot where I wiped out the Wizard goals on my second game.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
It's funny, I've managed to win BFTK once, and I have so few of the other wizard goals in all the other games (although admittedly, I haven't put much effort into most of the tables).
Guess I'm kind of the opposite of most of you.

I got to the Grand Finale once on TOM but didn't finish it. It seems to me that is just as hard. Getting all the illusions in particular is a tough requirement.

laughing_lunatic

Jun 6, 2012
I got to the Grand Finale once on TOM but didn't finish it. It seems to me that is just as hard. Getting all the illusions in particular is a tough requirement.

It IS tough, but you don't have to complete the illusions, just start them. And making sure that you have "Start Illusion" for your skill shot takes a lot of the pain away.

I always feel like I could finish the Grand Finale, if I just focused and relaxed a little (although I never have), but BftK seems SO far out of my reach.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I always feel like I could finish the Grand Finale, if I just focused and relaxed a little (although I never have), but BftK seems SO far out of my reach.
For Grand Finale, the most important thing is taking a second or two to relax and aim. That timer (and the "fifty million!" shouts) are designed to make you hurry and screw up, but 12 shots in 60 seconds is far more leisurely than it first appears. Just think of it as making shots you make 1000 times in the course of a normal game (which is true - GF requires no unusual shots). If you can block out how much is riding on each shot, it will be a lot easier mentally.

That advice won't help with Battle for the Kingdom - BftK is rough even under ideal conditions.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
For Grand Finale, the most important thing is taking a second or two to relax and aim. That timer (and the "fifty million!" shouts) are designed to make you hurry and screw up, but 12 shots in 60 seconds is far more leisurely than it first appears. Just think of it as making shots you make 1000 times in the course of a normal game (which is true - GF requires no unusual shots). If you can block out how much is riding on each shot, it will be a lot easier mentally.

That advice won't help with Battle for the Kingdom - BftK is rough even under ideal conditions.

If I dont get Grande Finale (and I have missed it both due to draining but also when I ran out of time) is because a ball got stuck in the bumpers.

Skier23

Aug 25, 2012
I know there have been posts about this before but I'm very frustrated with the troll bombs. I've had a rare game where I got six troll bombs but mostly I wind up with a maximum of one and sometimes zero by the time I get to Battle for the Kingdom. I think I know all the ways to acquire troll bombs (troll targets when trolls is already lit, hitting a ball against a troll into the castle lock and merlin's magic). These are all so random. You should at least get one troll bomb for completing all the six requirements and then maybe a bonus one for completing royal madness a second time in the same game. I've gotten quite decent at this board with lots and lots of practice but the lack of troll bombs and the one and done shot at BFTK gets me every time!

Skier23

Aug 25, 2012
269381_10152497909810454_1784715891_n.jpg

I finally did it! I made a conscious effort to hit the troll targets and got 3 troll bombs. Got an extra ball in Video Mode and Royal Madness. In Battle for the Kingdom had two balls left with the castle targets to hit. Lost one of those balls about halfway through the castle hits. But I had lowered the volume to the point where the music wouldn't mess me up and I made the rest of the shots until the King was dethroned for 5 seconds of VICTORY!

Jan Duin

Feb 20, 2012
Hadn't played MM for months, first game I got BftK for the first time ever! Wasn't that hard, I only forgot how to activate the troll bombs... ;)

Members online

Members online