Bug Kindle - Haunted House flippers sound SCARY! & auto rotate is strange

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
This is in the newest update with Haunted House.

Being played on a Kindle Fire HD 8.9" (not rooted)

I made a video which shows the bugs. The flipper sound is really awful. I haven't played a real HH machine, but I really don't think it sounds like this!

Also, the auto rotate is not working. It would be ok if it stayed in one direction from the start, but it has you upping between the title screen and the start of the game which I'd weird.

Here's the video. I hope it helps

ALSO, I heard there was controller support added to this update, but it doesn't seem to be in here, unless I am really clueless and can't find it. :(

dach

May 29, 2013
Haven't seen that rotate bug. I don't find the flipper sound to be annoying but I only trigger them when needed;)

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Haven't seen that rotate bug. I don't find the flipper sound to be annoying but I only trigger them when needed;)

Well yeah, I was only flipping like that to show off how bad it is.

Annoying or not it's the wrong sound. The iOS and PS3 versions have the correct flipper sound.

jeffwashere

May 30, 2013
I haven't seen that rotate bug on my Fire HD (also 8.9") in the 10 or so games I've played. I agree that the flipper sound is not right though.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I haven't seen that rotate bug on my Fire HD (also 8.9") in the 10 or so games I've played. I agree that the flipper sound is not right though.

Thanks Jeff,
Hopefully if enough people care to say something they will fix it.

SydyneBall

Jul 18, 2013
Using the Kindle HD 8.9. Played around 20 HH games. Not seeing a rotation issue. Flipper sound may be a little off, but not a real bother to me.

Ryan Routon

FarSight Employee
Feb 24, 2012
it is due to the fact that a ton of flippers are being activated at the same time (this is happening on ios and android google play as well)

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
it is due to the fact that a ton of flippers are being activated at the same time (this is happening on ios and android google play as well)

How do you mean that? As in the user (me) is pressing the flippers too much or that the software is registering multiple flips for single button presses?

I know for sure that it makes the same "buzzing" sound even if I only press the button once. I was just pressing it over and over to make sure the sound was being picked up by the iPod microphone.

I don't have this problem on my 2nd Gen nexus 7. Both sides just sound like one flipper (this is how it should be).

I know the Android version doesn't have this bug, but to be fair this is the Kindle forum. :p

Larry

Jul 4, 2013
I have the same issue on my Kindle 7" with HH flipper lag. I believe the larger screen kindles got better gpu`s so that may explain the difference. My 7" only outputs 720 vs the 8 and up does 1080 for instance.

Edit: Nevermind- it sure "sounds" like a sound issue. Same since the first 18x beta

Last edited:
N

netizen

The sound is probably a poor DSP in the kindle, imo. When you trigger three simultaneous samples that eats resources, so i would imagine that farsight has a little bit of code to add a little phase and doubling to a single sample to give the aural effect of a three from one. However, when you keep jamming on the flippers there may be a loop where the DSP isn;t cutting off fast enough and the sample is being triggered to close together thus causing that phasing effect that is heard.

This is purely speculative, bacuase I do not know how FS does their audio capture or processing, but fwiw this is the way it could be done and how things could wind up sounding the way it does in the video.

As to the rotation, do you hoold you Kindle in the default factory designed portrait orientation? I know on some droids if you try and play TPA with screen rotation on and in an non-standard orientation you will get that sort of reversal when the actual 3d rez files load, attract mode ends, and the you have actually begun a game.

There are 3rd party apps to lock orientation, but that doesn't solve the initial problem.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
The sound is probably a poor DSP in the kindle, imo. When you trigger three simultaneous samples that eats resources, so i would imagine that farsight has a little bit of code to add a little phase and doubling to a single sample to give the aural effect of a three from one. However, when you keep jamming on the flippers there may be a loop where the DSP isn;t cutting off fast enough and the sample is being triggered to close together thus causing that phasing effect that is heard.

This is purely speculative, bacuase I do not know how FS does their audio capture or processing, but fwiw this is the way it could be done and how things could wind up sounding the way it does in the video.

As to the rotation, do you hoold you Kindle in the default factory designed portrait orientation? I know on some droids if you try and play TPA with screen rotation on and in an non-standard orientation you will get that sort of reversal when the actual 3d rez files load, attract mode ends, and the you have actually begun a game.

There are 3rd party apps to lock orientation, but that doesn't solve the initial problem.

The sound processing on the Kindle Fire HD is actually quite good. In fact with most games I also have Music Unlimted streaming in the background and its fine. The Kindle Fire HD uses Dolby Digital Plus audio processing and I'd say from my personal experience that it also has better quality speakers than the iPad 3 & mini.

There is also an audio creation / looping app that can mix many high quality sounds together on the fly without any problems.

Anyway, that's not the reason since, as I mentioned, it makes that buzz sound when simply pressing the flipper even just ONCE. In addition it doesn't make that sound when playing any of the other tables. My guess is that they either mapped the wrong sample to the flippers in Haunted House. Or that its a null sample of sorts.

the rotating issues is that it shows it as the correct way and then when the game starts it flips it again. Every app I have auto rotates to accommodate. Not a big deal of course, just a little weird why they wouldn't let it auto rotate.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.