New High Resolution PS4 screenshots (place here!)

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Here's a few from the PSNBlog

MONSTER BASH
PS4-MonsterBash-1080p-vgo.jpg

9/27/13 screen (right click and view for high resolution)

CIRQUS VOLTAIRE
PS4-CirqusVoltaire-1080p-vgo.jpg

33bjpsg.jpg

7/21/13 screen (right click and view for high resolution)

FUNHOUSE
PS4-FunHouse-1080p-vgo.jpg

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION
PICTURE 1
6/21/13 [720p] screen from Farsight video (right click and view for high resolution)

PICTURE 2
6/21/13 [720p] screen from Farsight video (right click and view for high resolution)

Last edited:

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
That first CV screenshot just came out, right, while the second one was from at least a few weeks back? It definitely looks less blown-out in terms of the weird spotlights shining down on playfield inserts, although it might be that the first is with room lights on, and the second is with them off. And even in the first there's still too much spotlighting of the playfield around the inserts.

But Bash and Funhouse are looking *much* more subtle and sophisticated with their lighting. This is extremely encouraging!

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Where are the reflections?

Also, there's a definite need for an Ambient Occlusion pass.

Still quite flat looking but some signs of improvement.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I just gotta say, there is a marked improvement between the two CV screens. That shows they're still fiddling with it, and maybe there's still more to be done. I'm not gonna lose sleep over FH not having blue cab walls, but I would like to see more reflections. Pinball is shiny (when clean!) and I'd like to see that. As has been shouted many times before...CHROME!! Get that right, it will really sell the illusion.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
It's impossible for Cirqus Voltaire to not look beautiful.

PS4 has a "lights off, lights on" toggle correct? Wasn't that confirmed?

These seem to reflect a dim 'in between' option so maybe a 3rd, default ?

Really, no matter how much tinkering they do, ultimately they will not please everyone unless they just do the 2, or maybe 3 options in lighting.

And it can be really simple. Lights off means that: ambient lighting practically off. Lights on the opposite and a middle ground can be whatever Farsight decides.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
On closer inspection of Monster Bash I'm pretty sure they are using the same old table art scans. I'm afraid with the PS4 these will become much more apparent.

There is no reason the song tracks shouldn't be perfectly legible.

Here's a comparison between the PS4 version and the real deal. I really hope they consider rescanning at a higher dpi.
MB_PS4_vs_Arcade.png

I hope the same for the flyers. While they are not a priority, if they don't rescan them, they should just do away with them.
No one wants to view 640x480 pictures on a large HD display.

Here is an original (and beautiful!) high resolution photo courtesy of Pinballmedic.net
MonsterBash-Real-HighRes.JPG

Click for 3,072px × 2,304px image

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I could be wrong but I don't think the lights that people are calling "spot lights" are lights from outside the pinball machine so they won't be effected by ambient lighting controls. I think those spot lights are from too much bloom from the lights under the play field. If you look at Funhouse they have reduced the bloom by quite a bit but if you look at some of the lights at the top of the play field there are a couple that still have little circles of lights around them. So you can tell what they're trying to do with the lighting and they are getting it better and better each time we see a new screen shot. I would really like them to show us a split screen shot with ambient lighting on for one side and off for the other.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Thanks SpoonMan for pointing that out. I was thinking the same thing. Far too low resolution. There's also a very glaring line in the FunHouse PF.

No Metalzoic I agree too. The tech is in place for great graphics but the artists just don't see to have a grasp on what to do with it. Higher res assets is a start. IIRC they start with super high definition photography and then scale it down to Xbox 360, mobile, what have you. Meaning there's no reason they can't include higher quality assets. Unlike mobile where I don't want to be downloading 500MB tables since it would rape my phones memory, on a PS4 go ahead make it a gig per table for all I care!!

Honestly I'm surprised this is the same team who did the console versions. I thought Theatre of Magic and Arabian Nights looked gorgeous on Xbox 360 both after AND before the patch that added a darker lighting scheme and improved DMD's. It's like Farsight could do no wrong. I think they are overthinking this.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I could be wrong but I don't think the lights that people are calling "spot lights" are lights from outside the pinball machine so they won't be effected by ambient lighting controls. I think those spot lights are from too much bloom from the lights under the play field. If you look at Funhouse they have reduced the bloom by quite a bit but if you look at some of the lights at the top of the play field there are a couple that still have little circles of lights around them. So you can tell what they're trying to do with the lighting and they are getting it better and better each time we see a new screen shot. I would really like them to show us a split screen shot with ambient lighting on for one side and off for the other.

Brakel, I think you are right. What we were saying in the old thread is the playfield inserts look like "spot lights" when they really should look like they are lighting up from the table, instead of shining down upon it like the first CV screen.

The newer screens look much better in that regard, so that's good to see.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Thanks SpoonMan for pointing that out. I was thinking the same thing. Far too low resolution. There's also a very glaring line in the FunHouse PF.

No Metalzoic I agree too. The tech is in place for great graphics but the artists just don't see to have a grasp on what to do with it. Higher res assets is a start. IIRC they start with super high definition photography and then scale it down to Xbox 360, mobile, what have you. Meaning there's no reason they can't include higher quality assets. Unlike mobile where I don't want to be downloading 500MB tables since it would rape my phones memory, on a PS4 go ahead make it a gig per table for all I care!!

Honestly I'm surprised this is the same team who did the console versions. I thought Theatre of Magic and Arabian Nights looked gorgeous on Xbox 360 both after AND before the patch that added a darker lighting scheme and improved DMD's. It's like Farsight could do no wrong. I think they are overthinking this.

Hopefully these are still WIP and the graphics are placeholders.

If they really want to preserve these tables for future generations they need to nail the photo and scanning process to give us super clear textures.
I would do without any advanced lighting effects if they could make a table look photo realistic like this:
MonsterBash-Real-HighRes.JPG

Click for 3,072px × 2,304px image

PS: Does anyone have a 1080p image of Star Trek: TNG on the PS4?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
theres that too! its been so long since that was reported I forgot :p whats with the patch work lines on FH? looks like the lined up 2 images to match but the line is still there, above right flipper tip and behind left flipper post. Time to strip the PF and get 1 big scan high res. or buy a new PF all nice and SHINY

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
and the zero is still missing (I don't think has been fixed on any platform)
http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/1680-Funhouse-Clock-Art-Issue

This should be the time when they address all of art issues, bugs once and for all and make the best possible version of TPA.
The PS4 should be a new start for Farsight. Many of the people buying the PS4 version of TPA are existing owners of TPA for the PS3.
It's not going to fare well for Farsight if they carry all of the bugs and problems to a new platform.

The PS4 version of TPA is due out in a month and a half. It may already be too late for these tables.
I really want them to take everything to the next level and do well.

Shiny

Sep 30, 2013
Looks like old textures will be reused. Kinda disappointing considering that Zen redid textures for old tables just going from ZP1 to ZP2 on PS3 (and PFX1 to PFX2 on 360, though I don't play on Xbox myself) and didn't charge a cent for the upgrades in either case. Here it's a whole new platform, same old textures, and will cost money.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts