Prototype/unreleased tables

gypsyshred

Apr 12, 2012
Over the years there have been tons of games that were never finished/unreleased/not put to production for whatever reason. With something like pinball arcade, is there any reason why we couldn't finish and release those tables? If there is a theme to buy, you could get away with reskinning it, as there wouldn't be any nostalgia value (although itd be cool if you guys did). Maybe you could get a hold of the original designer/his design notes and finish the game for them? A ton of work goes into a table design, it'd be great for that work to pay off after all these years and get the games played!

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
I rather see stuff like Pinball Circus than games that were never put into production. Some sound interesting, but according to ipdb, many of them have had their playfied stripped. I rather see some released Gottlieb tables (many of John Trudeau's games had simpler rulesets than planned due to short production schedules) and games like Champion Pub (was this one really unfinished? I heard mixed things about build 1.06) and Cactus Canyon get their rulesets completed, though many of these actually play fine as is, especially Cactus Canyon.

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I rather see stuff like Pinball Circus than games that were never put into production. Some sound interesting, but according to ipdb, many of them have had their playfied stripped. I rather see some released Gottlieb tables (many of John Trudeau's games had simpler rulesets than planned due to short production schedules) and games like Champion Pub (was this one really unfinished? I heard mixed things about build 1.06) and Cactus Canyon get their rulesets completed, though many of these actually play fine as is, especially Cactus Canyon.

Pinball Circus would certainly be an interesting one for Farsight to model. I'm all for CP and CC. Shifting the tone of this thread a little I wouldn't mind seeing some ultra rare ones. Like Krull. No seriously. However, this would be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy down the line after every DMD Bally/Williams and countless others are released.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I would love to see prototypes or unreleased ones. I'm sure there are lots of designs we've never heard of. Obviously there were a few games that everyone knows about but given that P2k very abruptly discontinued the more traditional style tables, I'm certain there are lots of tables out there that nobody knows about aside from those working on them. Of course I would rather wait a few years before these are considered so we get all the popular released tables out first.

ragingpoodle

May 6, 2012
On a bit of an aside, I haven't heard anything about FarSight getting the Capcom license, they made some good tables. Big Bang Bar was a very limited release so that's almost a prototype table, and a private company remade a bunch of Big Bang Bars recently. I'm glad that I heard FarSight has the Data East/Sega license too. Let's hope we get every table imaginable.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
It was always weird to me that Sega never used their own IPs in pinball. With all the Outrun, Afterburner, House of the Dead and Sonic games, among others, they definitely had plenty of source material. From what I've seen of that whole DE/Sega/Stern is that anything one company had unreleased became a game released by or redesigned and released by the subsequent company. For example Golden Cue was redesigned to be Sharkey's Shootout. I don't think there is much if anything from that company that didn't get completely shot down due to lack of quality/enjoyability.

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
Big Bang Bar was a very limited release so that's almost a prototype table, and a private company remade a bunch of Big Bang Bars recently. I'm glad that I heard FarSight has the Data East/Sega license too. Let's hope we get every table imaginable.

Great video of Big Bang Bar here, I would love to see this in TPA given that 99% of people will never see 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm6sTTqcBww

Chris Bucci (spida1a on youtube ) has a great collection and good videos of each on his youtube channel.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
It was always weird to me that Sega never used their own IPs in pinball. With all the Outrun, Afterburner, House of the Dead and Sonic games, among others, they definitely had plenty of source material. From what I've seen of that whole DE/Sega/Stern is that anything one company had unreleased became a game released by or redesigned and released by the subsequent company. For example Golden Cue was redesigned to be Sharkey's Shootout. I don't think there is much if anything from that company that didn't get completely shot down due to lack of quality/enjoyability.

Golden Axe would've been a great theme too.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.