Jul 5, 2013
OS Version: Windows 7
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX460
Ram: 4GB
Version #(Bottom right of game screen): 0.023
Display Mode: “Full Screen”
Display Resolution: “1680x1050”

Comment:

In browsing through the STTNG operator's menu, I noticed that some of the settings do not say "(factory default)" under them. Stuff like Special Award is set to Extra Ball rather than Free Game. It makes sense for Farsight to do it this way since no one is paying per play like in real life.

But if you click the reset button, it actually changes these settings to all factory defaults for the ROM, not for The Pinball Arcade. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing this is wrong.

I'm mostly concerned because of the fact that scores don't count for the leaderboards if you're not on factory settings. But which factory? Is the reset button supposed to restore you to the initial state and make you leaderboard-eligible again? Or are you supposed to turn the operator's menu off for that?

It's actually not clear to me how that works, even regardless of this issue. Perhaps inside the warning text that shows up when you access the operator's menu, it should also tell you what to do to properly reset and become leaderboard-eligible again.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
In browsing through the STTNG operator's menu, I noticed that some of the settings do not say "(factory default)" under them. Stuff like Special Award is set to Extra Ball rather than Free Game. It makes sense for Farsight to do it this way since no one is paying per play like in real life.

But if you click the reset button, it actually changes these settings to all factory defaults for the ROM, not for The Pinball Arcade. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing this is wrong.

I'm mostly concerned because of the fact that scores don't count for the leaderboards if you're not on factory settings. But which factory? Is the reset button supposed to restore you to the initial state and make you leaderboard-eligible again? Or are you supposed to turn the operator's menu off for that?

It's actually not clear to me how that works, even regardless of this issue. Perhaps inside the warning text that shows up when you access the operator's menu, it should also tell you what to do to properly reset and become leaderboard-eligible again.
If the operator's mode is on at all, you are ineligible for the leaderboards, even if no settings are changed. You need to turn operator's mode off to resume eligibility.

The reset button is designed to be an "escape hatch" to get the ROM to a known state in case something goes wrong in the operator's menu.

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
If the operator's mode is on at all, you are ineligible for the leaderboards, even if no settings are changed. You need to turn operator's mode off to resume eligibility.

The reset button is designed to be an "escape hatch" to get the ROM to a known state in case something goes wrong in the operator's menu.

Thanks. So maybe it's not that big of a deal from a leaderboard perspective if operator mode on/off is the only thing that affects that. It still seems weird that clicking a Reset button can actually change settings you never touched, though.

Members online

Members online